Phoenix XXVII: Can we all get along?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckschmuck*

I think most of us can agree that the answer to the question posed in the title of this thread is a big fat NO!

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Listening to CBC, they claim the sporting goods store in Winnipeg can't keep Jets stuff on the shelves. The store owner claims it's reminiscent to 1996 when the Jets left. I wonder if there will be a run on Coyote stuff if they infact do leave?

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
The irony behind this whole thing is that employees of that arena are gonna be using jobing.com and similar other websites this summer of the team is moved elsewhere.

......and if $100 million in bonds is sold and the parking revenues don't cover the interest and principle on the bonds.... layed off city employees will be using the above listed websites.:shakehead not to mention where the arena management fees will be coming from. I can't help but think some city employees will no longer be in work.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I think you are correct in suggesting that he is a very good lawyer, but he is certainly very frustrating to discuss things with :)

We are all very good lawyers when we post to the forum because there is no independent finder of fact involved. There is no judge or jury to provide a ruling on intent, bias, or even accuracy. If you find that Olsen was dismantled from start to finish, fine. If you feel she held her own, fine. There will never be a gavel to declare a judgment. There will only be our opinions of each other. Perhaps that's why the thread is entitled "Can we all get along?"

I listened to the interview. To me, it sounded like a college radio station at best. As for the content, it sounded like the hosts promoted their agenda while Olsen promoted hers. Neither came across as particularly likable and the entire interview served no purpose other than to champion the agendas involved. To subsequently claim that either side dismantled the other is nothing more than a statement of favor for one of the agendas involved. If you are biased to the Coyotes fan agenda, Olsen was dismantled. If you are biased to the Return of the Jets agenda, Olsen held her own. If you have no agenda, it was a waste of approximately 15 minutes.

As an aside, I do not know the first thing about Facebook, Twitter, or Social Media. I have not even seen the Social Network movie. However, Bolick being associated with any type of Pro-Winnipeg site is terrible judgement and incredibly tactless. I would guess that the publicity Goldwater is receiving on this case has dulled their judgement.

At one week past Glendale's initial threat to sue Goldwater, it's still the City's move. Sell bonds, file suit, or fold?

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
At one week past Glendale's initial threat to sue Goldwater, it's still the City's move. Sell bonds, file suit, or fold?

It's all them, but at the same time, Hulzier's the one who really holds the power here. He can pay off that extra money and not take the bonds and purchase the team while eating extra $, and if he's really committed, he probably should.

oilfaninvan

Mar 31, 2004
van
......and if $100 million in bonds is sold and the parking revenues don't cover the interest and principle on the bonds.... layed off city employees will be using the above listed websites.:shakehead not to mention where the arena management fees will be coming from. I can't help but think some city employees will no longer be in work.

How can the parking revenues be worth anything when only a few thousand people go to the games? Don't season ticket holders get free parking anyway?

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
Originally Posted by blues10
......and if $100 million in bonds is sold and the parking revenues don't cover the interest and principle on the bonds.... layed off city employees will be using the above listed websites. not to mention where the arena management fees will be coming from. I can't help but think some city employees will no longer be in work.

How can the parking revenues be worth anything when only a few thousand people go to the games? Don't season ticket holders get free parking anyway?

I never thought about it that way. It would be true that some people would have to be layed off if not only the COG can't make enough money in parking but add in that arena management fee on top.

As for season ticket holders getting free parking. I'm thinking "NOT ANYMORE!"

Doesn't matter anyways right? The Bond market is improving so all is solved ! :sarcasm:

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

My understanding is that almost everyone parks for free at the moment. The parking fees will be new so it will cost more to attend games in the future -- approximately $13.50 per car. I can't see how that will help with attendance.

GHOST

bleuet

I never thought about it that way. It would be true that some people would have to be layed off if not only the COG can't make enough money in parking but add in that arena management fee on top.

As for season ticket holders getting free parking. I'm thinking "NOT ANYMORE!"

Doesn't matter anyways right? The Bond market is improving so all is solved ! :sarcasm:

At last! I'll finally be able to buy Glendale's 9% bonds :sarcasm:

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
My understanding is that almost everyone parks for free at the moment. The parking fees will be new so it will cost more to attend games in the future -- approximately $13.50 per car. I can't see how that will help with attendance.

GHOST
If they were smart, and few teams are, they would just tack the parking charge onto the ticket and keep the parking "free" at point of parking.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera

I really don't know one way or the other, but WHO is John Shannon, and how much credibility does he have (I'm asking earnestly, though it looks like it's from Sportsnet, but at this point, that in itself doesn't convince me of anything).

The fact someone can post something on twitter like someone did a few days back, and then say "Oh I was just speculating I had no IDEA that it would be taken so seriously"-really has my cynical nature on high at this point, from both sides of the argument.

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
I really don't know one way or the other, but WHO is John Shannon, and how much credibility does he have (I'm asking earnestly, though it looks like it's from Sportsnet, but at this point, that in itself doesn't convince me of anything).

The fact someone can post something on twitter like someone did a few days back, and then say "Oh I was just speculating I had no IDEA that it would be taken so seriously"-really has my cynical nature on high at this point, from both sides of the argument.

I don't see it, did he get rid of the tweet?

As for credibility, he was the first guy to break the Modin-to-Flames trade outside of the local beat writers, if that counts. :dunno:

Vanier Park

Jun 8, 2010

He is a former producer of Hockey Night in Canada amongst other stuff. Priduced also Grey Cup and such. I don't put mush stock in him. According to him a deal in Phoenix was done with IceEdge, Reinsdorf (so much for reliability in that regard) and now the bond market is improving. That might be the case, it might be not. However, as long as Goldwater hangs out their line they might pursue a suit, nothing is set in stone. I usually tune him out when he talks about his sources. I put more stock in Bob McKenzie. #winning ??

crazed323

Mar 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Bond market is improving because whoever had an interest in the parking bonds in the first place dumped their money into something else. :laugh:

Steve Passless*

I havent seen one proposed that goes beyond "hire good management". Given there are 29 other teams trying to do the same, I don't consider that a plan, I consider it a prayer.

Nice try Dado. But with the good management Phoenix already has in Dave Tippett and Don Maloney, it's only a matter of time before they really get the band back together, if you know what I mean, and I don't mean Music From Big Pink,:naughty:, the only pink around will be the fresh meat of top draft picks they bring in...:naughty::naughty:imagine the best and brightest hockey minds getting together a Cactus Caucus...this won't be a franchise "wandering in the desert" any more...:sarcasm::D:laugh:I really believe in my heart that Phoenix hockey will work, Dado. It's just a matter of winning the duel with the far-right Goldwater Posse and their ladies from upstairs at the saloon...:naughty::naughty:...pistols at dawn!

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
If they were smart, and few teams are, they would just tack the parking charge onto the ticket and keep the parking "free" at point of parking.

That is what is currently being done at all events at jobing.com with the money being forwarded to the COG. That "ticket surcharge" will continue with incremental increases as well as people also paying to get in the lot. The money currently being collected is being used to pay off the arena bonds. If this team stays expect Coyote fans to have some major sticker shock next season.

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
It might be Atlanta and not the Coyotes.

Probably not. Atlanta has three prospective ownership groups interested in keeping the team in Atlanta (not counting that creepy Rollins guy- this is a new three different groups) and the team isn't bankrupt. Additionally there have been rumors of Ted Turner buying the team and now there's grassroots movements to get Arthur Blank and Henry Rollins (yes, that Henry Rollins) to take an ownership stake. The Thrashers for the time being is probably the most set team in all of sports when it comes to sales.

[T]hree groups have emerged as potential buyers to keep the team in Georgia. Bruce Levenson, one of the Thrashers owners, told Sporting News on Tuesday that discussions with these groups are ongoing.

“There are three that have gotten to the point where we’re comfortable enough to provide them information,” Levenson said. “We’ve been in the process of providing them the information that they have requested. We are having open dialogue.”
The Atlanta Spirit closed on the refinancing of Philips Arena in December and there have been conflicting reports as to how much money ownership would lose in the naming rights deal with Philips if the Thrashers leave town.

Levenson cleared that up.

“There really is no link between the Philips naming rights and the teams. There are obligations we have to fulfill as the naming rights partner to Philips,” Levenson said. “There’s no link between Philips and the teams.”

According to Levenson, the three potential buyers are currently only interested in buying the Thrashers and not the NBA’s Hawks — and all would keep the NHL team in Atlanta.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
How likely is it that the bond market might improve slightly....so Glendale issues the bonds...deal gets completed...Goldwater sues...Hulsizer walks?

Even if the "clouding" of the bond market is cleared up so Glendale can sell them at a lower interest rate.....Goldwater suing would still negate this entire thing wouldn't it?

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Probably not. Atlanta has three prospective ownership groups interested in keeping the team in Atlanta (not counting that creepy Rollins guy- this is a new three different groups) and the team isn't bankrupt. Additionally there have been rumors of Ted Turner buying the team and now there's grassroots movements to get Arthur Blank and Henry Rollins (yes, that Henry Rollins) to take an ownership stake. The Thrashers for the time being is probably the most set team in all of sports when it comes to sales.

Maybe the potential local Atlanta owners should see how much the parking rights are worth. A city the size of Atlanta has to be worth billions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad