Phoenix XXIX: What's the next act? I'm tired of the dog & pony show

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
So essentially, Hulsizer is going to give the COG $25 million back of it own money, once the bond sale closes. Why doesn't he just put up an extra $25 million in the purchase price. Im baffled by this. By not doing so, is he trying to avoid in saying that it ain't a subsidy. Because this action seems to make that assumption.

Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Wasn't the 25 Million suppose to pay for season losses? That was the whole point for the deposit.

So how can it be used for the BONDS now when it was used for the losses? Does not make any sense.

obsenssive*

final option. relocate the residents of Winnipeg to Glendale!

SuperDave21

Hockey Paradise
Jul 30, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
That doesn't address Goldwaters objection. it does perhaps make the bonds more attractive in that 3/4 of the principal is being guaranteed .

It satisfies their objection completely. GWI's complaint is that the "Gift Clause" is violated because the value of the parking spaces is disproportional to the monies being given. With Hulsizer's contribution of $25M, the total sum of money being given is $75M, which is less than or equal to the value of the parking spaces as evaluated by three different firms.

The judge in the CityNorth case (Turken v. Gordon) ruled...

"...that the economic activity generated by CityNorth is “undoubtedly” in the public interest."

The same goes in this case as well. The parking spaces, and the team, are in the public's interest and therefore do not violate the "Gift Clause" in Arizona's Constitution.

May I remind everyone on these forums that GWI lost the CityNorth case in which they are claiming precedent for the purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes. They also lost the following appeal as well. Not only that, but their professionalism was criticized during the case...

"The CityNorth filing argues that the Institute “compounded the length and complexity of the litigation with irrelevant ‘experts’ who hadn’t even read the agreement, and displayed a reckless disregard for the enormous fiscal and business interests with which it was interfering.” [8] According to the City of Phoenix’s filing, “Not only did the Goldwater Institute proceed with this action knowing that it might be ordered to pay the city’s fees and costs, it litigated this case in a manner that increased its scope and expense far beyond that which was required to fully litigate the dispositive issues therin.” [9][10]"

This is off Wikipedia, but I confirmed it in the actual filing. I cannot attach the filing since it is too large, but anyone is free to view it here. Simply click on the PDF file labeled "Developer Petition for Attorneys' Fees" and it will download for you.

I can't stress enough the kind of reputation GWI has in the state of Arizona and in the legal community. They are seen as "ambulance chasers" and only bog down anything they disagree with politically. They are scum and the above attachment explains the reason why. CityNorth was supposed to be a luxury shopping complex until GWI stepped in. Even though they lost the case, the damage was done. The prospective firms that were to move into CityNorth bailed and now it sits practically empty...on the taxpayers hands. I drive by it everyday and it's a reminder of what GWI does to our state. I'm not against GWI because of the Coyotes; far from it actually. I'm against them because I'm a taxpayer of Glendale, AZ, and I do not want an empty arena sitting on my dime.

EDIT: The former Attorney General of Arizona, Grant Woods, just reiterated my statement on Fox Sports Arizona during the second intermission. Senator John McCain also agreed with Grant Woods and his opinion. Goldwater Institute does not have a leg to stand on.

Last edited:

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
In this video John Loewen said Bettman told him that the reason MEC couldn't buy the Jets in the mid-90's was because their group didn't have a single person with a net worth of 600 million dollars to sign on the line and guarantee the future of the franchise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tdvmhBMUCI

Yet in this case the NHL are bending over backwards to try to allow a guy with a net worth estimated to be near 300 million dollars (per ESPN) to buy Phoenix.

Double standard at play?

:dunno:

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
Wasn't the 25 Million suppose to pay for season losses? That was the whole point for the deposit.

So how can it be used for the BONDS now when it was used for the losses? Does not make any sense.
Under shell 1. CoG 25 million (Escrow for NHL losses 2010/2011) )Of which 10 mil is now going into a 4th shell and the CoG is putting the remaining back into the "general fund"

Under Shell 2. M.H.'s 25 million (Escrow, "good faith")

Under shell 3. Ellman/CoG 25 million - Parking garage (12.5 CoG \ 12.5 S.E.)

Keep your eyes on shell number 1

shell-game-animated.gif

TheWestWing

Nov 22, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Exactly. Be prepared to brace for phase II of Goldwater's challenge. The extremely dispropotionate arena management fees. It is very obvious that at this point in time there is not a single individual or group on planet Earth willing to invest the entire purchase price of this team. The NHL looks like fools and Hulsizer a cheapo.

Monsieur Balsillie. Purchase Price +.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
In this video John Loewen said Bettman told him that the reason MEC couldn't buy the Jets in the mid-90's was because their group didn't have a single person with a net worth of 600 million dollars to sign on the line and guarantee the future of the franchise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tdvmhBMUCI

Yet in this case the NHL are bending over backwards to try to allow a guy with a net worth estimated to be near 300 million dollars (per ESPN) to buy Phoenix.

Double standard at play?

:dunno:

thats life man, we'll let a hot chic get away with more, and dump an uggo immediately. FYI: phx is the hot chic.

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
Funny, every time I've been down there I come across numerous accidents, all the vehicles seem to be sporting AZ plates though. :naughty:

Try Mesa at 4 when the blue hairs go grocery shopping instead of the morning or early afternoon when everybody is working.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So, you're right, we are probably done on this, although not for the reason you may have intended. :) ;)

First, you argue that Coyotes Team costs cannot be claimed for the arena management fee, then you shift your argument to say that the business performance of the arena will remain as pathetic as ever, so there will be no scope for substituting Team costs in place of direct arena management costs. I expect that your legal adversaries have to stay on their toes for your redirections. ;)

If the arena business remains as pathetic as you project, so much for the parking projections, and the extended management fees (i.e. beyond 5.5 years) are going to greatly increase the overall cost of the deal to Glendale. Conversely, if the arena meets the financial performance suggested by Glendale's parking projections, the losses on arena management will be substantially reduced and Hulsizer can still claim the full management fee by substituting Team costs. If there is no intention of substituting Team costs for arena operation costs, it begs the question as to why they are not fully excluded from the lease. Over, and out....

GSC2k2*

Are these Arena management fees comparable to what other tenants get in othe NHL venues?

If its that easy, just say, okay MH, don't pay the Arena management fees, we will. Case closed. yet, that doesn't seem to be an option?
What the case is for other NHL deals is quite irrelevant. Whatever deals are available in other NHL markets has nothing to do with what is available in PHO.

On the rest of your post, I am afraid I cannot make heads or tails out of it.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
Try Mesa at 4 when the blue hairs go grocery shopping instead of the morning or early afternoon when everybody is working.

Oh, I didn't realize that there were specific times for individuals to go shopping...what time slot do the non snowbird "just visiting" crowd have? :sarcasm: Just so I know when not to go out.

TGOTC

Yer a wizard Oliver
Oct 3, 2009
On the couch
According to the Hawks broadcast, about 50% of the fans at the arena are in support of the Hawks.

I wouldn't doubt it. Spring Training is going on right now. There is a TON of Cubs and White Sox fans over here in AZ. Many of them live over here because of Spring Training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad