Phoenix XXIV: How many twists does the scriptwriter have left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
I agree on this. If the CoG was say claiming $487,123,087.56 then I could say someone actually figured out what the losses are, but when the Mayor just says $500M, you know she's just pulling the number out of her _____.

Precision does not imply accuracy.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
But I know a place where we can go
That's still untouched by man

You do realize this piece is nothing but a cynical commercial jingle for Henleys' Walden Pond Foundation?. Whats next, dropping "product placements" into lyrics?. Are you aware of the fact that he also has interests in the Sunset Grill franchise chains?. Owns a considerable amount of stock in Ray Ban?. Beelzubub with a sharp pen and a set of drumsticks. Just ask Glenn Frey or Stevie Nicks... Dont take my word for it....

Awww, to be in England in the summertime with my love.

That again huh?. You mean the Glaswegian you were dating with the Mohawk & Doc Martins'?. The one who took the boots to your dental work because YOU took her to see Yes at Wimbledon after telling her she was gonna see Ian Drury & the Block Heads, the Clash & the Sex Pistols?. Ya, thats a happy memory. Howre' those British made Quasimodo denture plates workin for ya Doc?....:toothless

Last edited:

borno87

Dec 16, 2010
GOOOOOOD MORNING GLENDALE

Let the newsday officially begin :handclap:

(please let there be some news today.....)

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
And if they don't, then they fall in value by 33%. Regardless of the yield at issue.

I'll point out that tax exemption is determined by the Internal Revenue Code, not the constitution of Arizona.

Actually, I think they fall in value by 20%, not 33%. Hence the point that at 9%, even if they fall in value, the net is the same or greater than at 6%. Perhaps there is a disconnect between what you are saying, and what I said. Your post has me confused.

Point well taken. However, I'm not sure if this was just a point of clarification or substance. Do you think there is any issue that the bonds would maintain a tax-emempt status if the transaction is deemed unconstitutional, or any reason for them to lose a tax-emempt status if the transaction is deemed constitutional?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just my 2 cents for a title thread:

Phoenix XXV : " No Time "

Not only are the lyrics meaningful:

(No time left for you) On my way to better things < Well, maybe not this line :naughty:
(No time left for you) I found myself some wings
(No time left for you) Distant roads are callin' me

Or how about just: "Distant roads are callin' me"

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
You are correct sir! Aside from a small fan base and some die hard fans, this has been about revenue to the CoG, and the right to run its business for the NHL. In between, a small fan base in Phoenix gets kicked in the teeth, and a large and passionate fan base in Winnipeg gets used.

If anything, this is decided not about a hockey team or hockey fans.

This couldn't be more true.

So no news as of this morning yet?

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
You do realize this piece is nothing but a cynical commercial jingle for Henleys' Walden Pond Foundation?. Whats next, dropping "product placements" into lyrics?. Are you aware of the fact that he also has interests in the Sunset Grill franchise chains?. Owns a considerable amount of stock in Ray Ban?. Beelzubub with a sharp pen and a set of drumsticks. Just ask Glenn Frey or Stevie Nicks... Dont take my word for it....

That again huh?. You mean the Glaswegian you were dating with the Mohawk & Doc Martins'?. The one who took the boots to your dental work because YOU took her to see Yes at Wimbledon after telling her she was gonna see Ian Drury & the Block Heads, the Clash & the Sex Pistols?. Ya, thats a happy memory. Howre' those British made Quasimodo denture plates workin for ya Doc?....:toothless

:laugh:

So, I guess that the "place where no one goes" is a lament that he's not getting business eh?:naughty:

Don't take your word for it? Isn't the fact when one says "don't take my word for it'" it's actually a subconscious plea TO take your word for it?

Now Killion lie down and relax, this is about your childhood, ya? ;)

"End Of The Imminence" gets my vote for next thread title!

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
If the CoG suit includes ...

In case you missed it among the pages of posts between then and now, I wanted to make sure that you saw my appreciation for your position on Glendale’s suit and my acknowledgement that I was in error.

I was guilty of focusing too narrowly. Because the city’s claim is so meritless and easily refuted, I felt it was incredulous for anyone to suggest such a claim. I was mistakenly thinking only from the standpoint of a private firm, where losing cases has real consequences.

The public sector can file SLAPP suits without any concern for the results. In this case, it makes a lot of sense for Glendale’s beleaguered officials to file a claim. It was shortsighted and wrong of me to assume the city would not file a suit just because they had no chance of winning.

I am humbled by this shortsightedness but I’m not opening Casual Beads until the city files the claim. I certainly hope they do. I would feel cheated now if we are denied the opportunity to observe that case.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Objectivity is not a strong suit of hockey fans....

Have you ever tried to paint your face with an air-brush Whileee?. Rather a subjective exercise I should think. :D

The fact that the CoG is going to ask a court to confirm the tax-exempt status makes the purchase of the bonds at 9% a windfall to investors..

Now, that is just plain devious. I like the way you think goyotes.. Brilliant.... .Why they didnt launch this weeks ago is beyond me, however, one simply must consider; the NHL is not likely to want to have any part of it & await disposition through the courts. If it can be done quickly, perhaps, otherwise, I see the situation as being no longer tenable from the leagues perspective....

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Why are the NHL's owners so bent on keeping hockey in the south? And what owners do you think are mostly responsible for that?

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
And what owners do you think are mostly responsible for that?

Probably owners that could see the same thing happen to them if they allow Phoenix to relocate (ex. Nashville).

There are probably also a few owners of Canadian teams that don't want teams in Winnipeg and Quebec City to cut into their market share (ex. Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal).

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
This couldn't be more true.

So no news as of this morning yet?

Nope. I get a report of all filings in Federal District Court and Maricopa County state court, but it is for the previous day. I am sure the press has feelers out to the court clerks to alert them when something is filed. We do e-filing now so everything will be done electronically.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Actually, I think they fall in value by 20%, not 33%. Hence the point that at 9%, even if they fall in value, the net is the same or greater than at 6%. Perhaps there is a disconnect between what you are saying, and what I said. Your post has me confused.

Point well taken. However, I'm not sure if this was just a point of clarification or substance. Do you think there is any issue that the bonds would maintain a tax-emempt status if the transaction is deemed unconstitutional, or any reason for them to lose a tax-emempt status if the transaction is deemed constitutional?

It depends on the marginal tax rate. Anyway, even if they had a 16% tax-exempt coupon, a loss of status would result in a significant drop in the market value of the bond since the after-tax cashflows would be reduced. While the higher after-tax yield vis-a-vis a typical issue would make up for that over time, no asset manager wants that have that kind of return in a period.

Anyway, I don't know how much of a risk it even is. I briefly looked at the IRS material on this issue, but don't have enough time to look at it in detail.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/teb_phase_1_course_11204_-5module_d.pdf

and the statute

http://www.taxalmanac.org/index.php...c._141._Private_activity_bond;_qualified_bond

Last edited:

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Why are the NHL's owners so bent on keeping hockey in the south? And what owners do you think are mostly responsible for that?
I imagine most of them, because the Southern US is one of the few regions in NA that is growing significantly, and the owners like money, and since they are private businesses, they aren't worried about short term losses.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
In case you missed it among the pages of posts between then and now, I wanted to make sure that you saw my appreciation for your position on Glendale’s suit and my acknowledgement that I was in error.

I was guilty of focusing too narrowly. Because the city’s claim is so meritless and easily refuted, I felt it was incredulous for anyone to suggest such a claim. I was mistakenly thinking only from the standpoint of a private firm, where losing cases has real consequences.

The public sector can file SLAPP suits without any concern for the results. In this case, it makes a lot of sense for Glendale’s beleaguered officials to file a claim. It was shortsighted and wrong of me to assume the city would not file a suit just because they had no chance of winning.

I am humbled by this shortsightedness but I’m not opening Casual Beads until the city files the claim. I certainly hope they do. I would feel cheated now if we are denied the opportunity to observe that case.

Thanks, but not necessary. My entire point was tongh in cheek. Heck, I thought the bonds would be sold by now and the deal would close.

Good win for the Sharks the other night. Couldn't they have won in regulation, however. They needed to help the Coyotes out and keep that point away from Dallas.;)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Now Killion lie down and relax, this is about your childhood, ya? ;)

Well, tell ya what TL?. You try dealing with the fact that your father was an alcoholic psychopath who'd leave you hanging from a coathook in a closet for days on end. A mother who roamed the streets of Marseille.... its just too horrible. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->