Phoenix XIXth: Nervous Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
So Glendale is actually a whole other city, not just a suburb of Pheonix?

Since the U of P is right near Westgate, I think that little shopping area is safe.

Plus, while getting 41 events a year is probably not achieveable in the next year or two. I would think that getting close to that number in about 5 wouldn't be a bad thing. It's better than losing 200 million in your first 5.

Even if I was a Coyotes fan living in Glendale, I would not support this. That would be like asking the city of Winnipeg council back in 1995 to take on 50-100 million to secure the team and help build a new arena. It's far too outlandish.

Losing the Jets hurt our pride more than anything else and I feel that's the same thing that would happen in Glendale for a few people. It won't hurt businesses as bad as the Mayor thinks.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
That picture is Escher, is it not? I love his work, and says PERFECTLY this whole Yotes saga-well done Kdb! :D

Yup - it's from Escher's "Ascending and Descending".

Ascending_and_Descending.jpg

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Where does Victoria's ECHL team go?

ECHL teams fold just about every other week. Does it even matter where they go? Victoria could easily support an AHL team, with its newish 7,500 seat arena, metro pop. of 365,000, and now it's more than possible with a team in Abbotsford -- makes sense from a travel standpoint.

GHOST

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
ECHL teams fold just about every other week. Does it even matter where they go? Victoria could easily support an AHL team, with its newish 7,500 seat arena, metro pop. of 365,000, and now it's more than possible with a team in Abbotsford -- makes sense from a travel standpoint.

GHOST

No, they do not. Bad hyperbole.

The ECHL is a pretty strong league, economically, for a minor league. Victoria is the **only** Canadian ECHL franchise. Can't see the league, nor the Victoria owners thrilled with that possibility.

And I doubt the local owners would be that interested in upgrading to an AHL franchise.

Maybe the Moose will move to QC?

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
The Arizona Republic has written another article supporting Hulsizer, COG and the Coyotes

The sale of the Coyotes to Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer remains an unknown. The sale of bonds to finance the transaction still is pending, and a lawsuit to halt the Hulsizer deal remains possible.

But for the Coyotes, there are two paths. One is the path of virtual certainty: If the bond sale fails or a lawsuit over the bond sale ensues, the Coyotes almost certainly are finished in Arizona, and Jobing.com Arena becomes a far bigger financial liability for Glendale taxpayers than it is now.

The other path is toward the unknown. Toward uncertainty and risks, yes. But also toward possibilities.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/2011/01/25/20110125tue1-25.html

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

The ECHL is a pretty strong league, economically, for a minor league. Victoria is the **only** Canadian ECHL franchise. Can't see the league, nor the Victoria owners thrilled with that possibility.

And I doubt the local owners would be that interested in upgrading to an AHL franchise.

I thought the IEH boys were in some form of talks in bringing an ECHL team to Thunder Bay.

Would it be that crazy to think the Moose and Coyotes could trade places? The whole situtaion is pretty crazy and this could just be the craziest.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Something must be happening with this deal. Why is there another one of these opinion pieces in the Arizona Republic?

Last edited:

dandeneau44

Nov 22, 2010
Manitoba
The Arizona Republic has written another article supporting Hulsizer, COG and the Coyotes

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/2011/01/25/20110125tue1-25.html

another pretty sad attempt at making people understand how "important" the coyotes are. This isn't as bad as the last opinion piece but they leave out plenty of facts and I suppose that's why it's an opinion piece but one has to wonder why now? After two years of uncertainty and everything being up in the air why is it only now that pieces like this are starting to come out? Just something to ponder I suppose.

Fugu

That was very..... soupy. The Ilitch comparison is pretty bad too. Ilitch bought the team with his own money, and from the previous owner. The franchise had a decades long history and home-grown boy was buying his hometown team. One thing Ilitch knew was the community and what would work with the other hometown folk.

I realize this is an editorial piece but it's a bit misleading to state that the financial picture is worse without the Coyotes than with them. That actually is a point that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Beasley has thrown out a figure of $500m+ revenues against a $197m cost.

That's just wrong.

PeeBee78

Sep 18, 2009
T-Dot!

It's just another opinion piece....

here is another one from a guy in Manitoba that supports the move also on Arizona Republic website....

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/2011/01/25/20110125tuelets254.html

We should have some answers in about 24 hours!

PB

Dado

Something must be happening with this deal. Why is there another one of these opinion pieces in the Arizona Republic?

Generally, when someone opens a second front in the media, it's because they're losing on the main front.

That bond sales are still "pending" with just 4 business days until the ASG is....not positive.

Dado

I didn't see an author named for that piece...given that Hulsizer is being compared to Ilitch, I'm going to assume it was written by Peak6's PR department.

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont
It's just another opinion piece....

here is another one from a guy in Manitoba that supports the move also on Arizona Republic website....

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/2011/01/25/20110125tuelets254.html

We should have some answers in about 24 hours!

PB

What kind of answers are you expecting tomorrow? I don't think anything is forthcoming. For now.

Plus, im sure we'd get some tweets from Shannon, Dreger and IEH saying something is 'imminent'.

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont
another pretty sad attempt at making people understand how "important" the coyotes are. This isn't as bad as the last opinion piece but they leave out plenty of facts and I suppose that's why it's an opinion piece but one has to wonder why now? After two years of uncertainty and everything being up in the air why is it only now that pieces like this are starting to come out? Just something to ponder I suppose.

Agreed. This is probably the most action I've ever seen coming out of Azcentral. Opinions included.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
it certainly looks like glendale are now standing at the precipice, but after all of their effort i really cant see them not making it work at this point....they have shown that they will sell their souls to get this done....whatever the issues are that have stopped this once again, my gut tells me that they will find a way....how, i have no idea, but they have never ceased to amaze me before....i don't think they will stop now.

there is still another rabbit in their hat.....i am convinced of it....and whatever it is, they will stand there and make it sound like it is all very normal....

surely we are nearing the end though.....how much longer can it go on.....there are a huge number of dominoes that need to fall before next season....its time the NHL pushed over the first one.

dandeneau44

Nov 22, 2010
Manitoba
I prefer the second article. I guess we'll see what the comments prefer.

The comments...well those will most likely be very interesting. I can picture it now, twenty some odd pages of people saying "Loserpeg had their chance you suck and it is cold out there" followed by some facts about the deal happening in Glendale and then we'll get more "you're stupid you don't know that the NHL has never wanted wpg back you're stupid go away" It's absolute insanity on those comment boards it's quite comical at times :laugh:

borno87

Dec 16, 2010
Generally, when someone opens a second front in the media, it's because they're losing on the main front.

That bond sales are still "pending" with just 4 business days until the ASG is....not positive.

2 words... PAGE VIEWS

There is no doubt that the AZcentral noticed quite the spike in traffic that came with the CoG statement and other postings late last week regarding this situation. All the link sharing going on this board and on twitter to AZcentral has surely caught the eye of their editor who is looking to capitalize on this hot topic... at least its hot outside of Glendale ;)

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
What kind of answers are you expecting tomorrow? I don't think anything is forthcoming. For now.

Plus, im sure we'd get some tweets from Shannon, Dreger and IEH saying something is 'imminent'.

Not that I disagree, but I think Shannon's sources in Glendale were mostly tied to Reinsdorf. When he walked away, so did Shannon's inside scoops.

Dreger basically reports what the NHL tells him to. Anyone remember when he broke the news that they had a conceptual agreement with Hulsizer?

And the less said about IEH the better :facepalm:.

I think there isn't a lot of build up leading into tomorrow because the decision is a government one, not a hockey-related one. All of us here suspect something is going on and that if COG ever kills the deal, that it will be tomorrow. But I don't think the rest of the hockey world (except for journalists like Lawless and maybe Shoalts) has been able to keep up with every single emerging detail in this saga.

Bond issues and parking reports are not the type of thing hockey insiders normally report on.

Last edited:

dandeneau44

Nov 22, 2010
Manitoba
it certainly looks like glendale are now standing at the precipice, but after all of their effort i really cant see them not making it work at this point....they have shown that they will sell their souls to get this done....whatever the issues are that have stopped this once again, my gut tells me that they will find a way....how, i have no idea, but they have never ceased to amaze me before....i don't think they will stop now.

there is still another rabbit in their hat.....i am convinced of it....and whatever it is, they will stand there and make it sound like it is all very normal....

surely we are nearing the end though.....how much longer can it go on.....there are a huge number of dominoes that need to fall before next season....its time the NHL pushed over the first one.

I can see the press conference with the mayor already. "here's the thing you guys it's been concluded that the parking revenues generated will not cover the bonds, however don't worry because even though it never seemed like we had a plan B, well we do! Here's what's gonna happen. Bear with me now. We're going to sell the movie rights to this whole fiasco! we've been offered the exact amount that we need to cover the rest of the cost. Calculations were done by a very trusted *wink wink* firm. Because remember if they leave i'm going to go and board up the arena myself" :)

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont
Not that I disagree, but I think Shannon's sources in Glendale were mostly tied to Reinsdorf. When he walked away, so did Shannon's inside scoops.

Dreger basically reports what the NHL tells him to. Anyone remember when he broke the news that they had a conceptual agreement with Hulsizer?

And the less said about IEH the better :facepalm:.

I think there isn't a lot of build up leading into tomorrow because the decision is a government one, not a hockey-related one. All of us here suspect something is going on and that if COG ever kills the deal, that it will be tomorrow. But I don't think the rest of the hockey world (except for journalists like Lawless and maybe Shoalts) has been able to keep up with every single emerging detail in this saga.

Bond issues and parking reports are not the type of thing they normally report on.

Agreed somewhat on Shannon and Dreger, but if the deal would indeed fall through, im sure they would be informed before it actually hit the press.

As far as Lawless and Shoalts, they've been pretty quiet on up to date information. Shoalts in particular. Azcentral has actually been leading the charge lately.

But one thing I know would happen is that IEH would congratulate Winnipeg on getting their team back and they would most certainly grill GWI for helping to kill the deal.

Also, I just don't see the COG saying tomorrow that the deal is dead.

Well, never say never, but I'd highly doubt that. It's not an item on the agenda :)

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Comparing Hulsizer to Mike Ilitch and the Coyotes to the Red Wings. :loony::dunce::biglaugh:

What's next.... The Arizona Republic will be claiming that the Coyotes will be pulling in money like the Leafs after this deal goes through.

Well, to the AZ Republic, I say, stick to the facts. You are a news source, so report the news.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

Comment re. ECHL was in jest.

Totally incorrect. Victoria will accept AHL upgrade in a heartbeat. Victoria is currently part of the Canucks organization as ECHL affiliate to the Moose and Canucks. My point was when Victoria gets a chance to take on the Moose, or rather the Canucks' AHL affiliate if it's not the Moose, what happens to the ECHL team is not important. I don't know if you are familiar with Victoria but it is easily large enough to host an AHL team, has an almost new arena and the city is a major source of fans for the Canucks. The original plan was to place a WHL team in the new arena and ECHL was something of consolation prize. Now that there is already an AHL team in the general area, I expect the Canucks to move their AHL team to Victoria in the near future.

Wrong again about Quebec City. Like many Canadian cities, they prefer Major Junior, which they already have, to the AHL and at any rate will likely have an NHL team in the next few years. Absolutely no interest in AHL in QC.

GHOST

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
That was very..... soupy.

Galling Fugu. Of all the noive'. Chanelling the Detroit Red Wings, Ilitch & Arthur C. Clarke with platitudonous talk of "future paths" and the like is absolutely, well, its just plain blasphemous. :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad