Phoenix Part XXX Hulz, you gotta get a gimmick if you want to get ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
fans of failing teams seem to always blame 'bad ownership'.....its a pretty common thread...would this not lead one to believe that instead of bad owners making bad markets maybe bad markets make bad owners?
low fan and corporate support leads to low payrolls which leads to low performing teams which leads to lower support, lower payrolls and lower performing teams....its an endless cycle.

i realize that hulsizer is the only option, but i find it funny that he is being held up as the long lost 'strong ownership' that the coyotes have needed to be successful.....if you took out an ad in the paper to look for an NHL owner, upon receiving his resume, you wouldn't even call him in for an interview.

he is not local, he is not wealthy, he has no experience running any kind of sports franchise, he is trying to swindle a free ride on the purchase....he is not even willing to put his own money into buying the team, what makes anyone believe that he will suddenly invest heavily into payroll?......what evidence is there at all that he will be any better at ownership than the others?

to me, he is pretty much the worst candidate possible to build a hockey market in arizona....the coyotes need deep pockets willing to spend on marketing and players...he needs to be able to withstand the inevitable huge losses he he will incur until a market is established...hulsizer could have owned this team 6 months ago had he been willing to put some of his own skin in the game and he might lose the team because of this lack of commitment....not great evidence that he will be a committed owner.

Nice post Pete. Agree with you 100%, especially the bolded part.

crazed323

Mar 6, 2011
Winnipeg
it could also be because 4 of the most stable banks in the world are headquartered in toronto.

just because phoenix has a lot of people, doesnt mean that they have a lot of people with money and a good corporate ticket base.

Toronto is a very tongue in cheek comparison to Phoenix. There are too many differences to discuss. Culture, climate, corporate base etc.

crazed323

Mar 6, 2011
Winnipeg
However with 4.1 million people it is extremly hard to believe they cannot get 18,000 out to every game with ticket prices the way they are. I would suspect even those on limited budgets could make it out to games, but don't.

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON
What happens if the deal ends up happening, but the Coyotes begin to play poorly and miss the playoffs for another 3-5 years?

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
What happens if the deal ends up happening, but the Coyotes begin to play poorly and miss the playoffs for another 3-5 years?

Then they become a southwest version of the Florida Panthers. 'This will be a great market once we give them something to cheer about'.

Koss

A blast from the past: Mayor Scruggs getting grilled about the lease deal in December 2010. She was pretty short on how the $97 million arena (egg) management fee was going to be paid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wJtmjZw1oQ&feature=related

she really skirted the issue regarding big chunk of tax payer $'s. But seriously 17 million to management an arena?? That seems very high to me.

Further in the video Mayor Scruggs talks about creating an economic region when the natural economy is faltering. There is just so much wrong about that thought process that has been proved over the last century.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Further in the video Mayor Scruggs talks about creating an economic region when the natural economy is faltering. There is just so much wrong about that thought process that has been proved over the last century.

Planned economies are a denial of market economics and have been proven throughout history to be an abysmal failure. My guess is that Mayor Scruggs, the council and the bureaubots beavering away at City Hall got bored with their raison d'etre: zoning laws, property taxes, swimming pools and libraries. So the government steps in and decides to create a new "sports economy"....and the results speak for themselves.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
why have we heard nothing from glendale resident jan brewer on this situation?

I think she understands it's better to fly below Goldwater's radar. If she weighs in she'll call attention to herself and some of the moves she and the Legislature have made this session, potentially exposing Goldwater for selectively choosing its fights. Better to stand on the sidelines for her own political cover to move her political agenda forward.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
With 5,113,149 million people in the metro area of Toronto and 4.1 million people in the metro area of Phoenix the population base is not incredibly disproportionate. Incredibly one city supports hockey well and one doesn't. The stats are from wikipedia, unfortunately it wouldn't tell me why Phoenix doesn't support hockey (or does).

Edit: It could be because temperatures can get to 120F sometimes. WOW.

Toronto is quite a bit bigger then the stats show. What would Phoenix's CMA look like without Tucson? Because of the way Toronto's CMA is calculated, cities such as Oshawa, Barrie, and Hamilton are all excluded in Toronto's CMA despite being within driving distance to Toronto. Your probably looking at 6 million+ people.

But as others have mentioned, population does not equal a good hockey city. If so, Mexico City would have a team, Houston would have a team, and Atlanta and Phoenix would not be in the predicament they are in today.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
There going to talk about the Pheonix ownership in a minute on the Pheonix/blues game

Well nevermind just pointless talk...as usual

Last edited:

TGOTC

Yer a wizard Oliver
Oct 3, 2009
On the couch
Dave Strader got an e-mail from Bill Daly stating that they will move forward on the deal with or without Goldwater's endorsement.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Dave Strader got an e-mail from Bill Daly stating that they will move forward on the deal with or without Goldwater's endorsement.

This is the same e-mail Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press and Dreger of TSN received yesterday. Dreger only identified his e-mail as from an NHL "source" and wouldn't identify Daly but other journalists have.

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Watching the Glendale meeting. Glendale residents are blasting the Coyotes right now. A woman speaking at the moment is talking about how Sunday night's game was sold out....with Black Hawk fans! She said it was like a Black Hawk home game.
She also said people are trying to her sell tickets tonight and keep lowering the price to "almost free." So it appears not all Glendale residents feel their tax money should go to support the Coyotes.

TGOTC

Yer a wizard Oliver
Oct 3, 2009
On the couch
Watching the Glendale meeting. Glendale residents are blasting the Coyotes right now. A woman speaking at the moment is talking about how Sunday night's game was sold out....with Black Hawk fans! She said it was like a Black Hawk home game.
She also said people are trying to her sell tickets tonight and keep lowering the price to "almost free." So it appears not all Glendale residents feel their tax money should go to support the Coyotes.

Every other sports team in the valley has this problem. One person doesn't mean that all residents feel this way. Besides, who wants to see the Blues?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Meeting with GWI in a press conference bonanza only hurts the city/league and helps the sham grandstanding that is going on.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Just listened to the podcast of Clint Bollick on Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown.

He certainly did not interpret Hulsizer's letter to mean that Arizona Hockey LLC would pay $25-million now and the net present value of $75-million over the life of the lease, and neither did I. I know some others have read that into the letter. If it is "crystal clear", they must be looking into a crystal ball.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
It is inevitable that the "peeing" match will have to come to an end. The NHL/COG/MH will have to put pen to paper to see if the GWI is packing the goods, or if they just have a cucumber wrapped in tin-foil in their jockey's.

I think Hulsizer's amendment to his deal, is a leap of good faith. It also reduces the GWI's case on the deal. I also have a firm belief that more has been cooking on the grille out back in regards to the Bonds. Should be a fun week. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad