Phoenix Part XXX Hulz, you gotta get a gimmick if you want to get ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Ten Bears*

Exactly, I don't buy this well the fans are staying away because of uncertainty. It'll only get more expensive next year as well. Bryzgalov will be looking for a big contract.

Yeah, the 300 members of the Coyotes fan club know about the owner, and can play the uncertainty card, but I highly doubt 17,000 other people in Arizona know about the ownership issue, or even care.

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont
I know the Hulsizer letter has been beaten to death. But I'm sure it can muster at least one more poke.

From the TSN Reporters Show

Bruce Arthur, National Post: My thumb is down to Matthew Hulsizer's proofreader. You know, when you're trying to get a city to pay you a couple hundred million dollars to buy their hockey team, you should probably do everyone the courtesy of nailing down the details. By misspelling 'then' with an a instead of an e, by turning today into two words, and by using the version of guarantee spelled with a y in his latest letter to the Goldwater Institute, Hulsizer seemed like he was writing his proposals on cocktail napkins. The mess in Phoenix might be comical if there wasn't so much at stake - for Winnipeg, for the NHL, and for those poor lonely Coyotes fans - and this didn't help anybody believe that Matthew Hulsizer going to close the deal.

Good recap of last week's proceedings.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/dave_hodge/?id=359760

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If he hasn't had a full frontal lobotomy, I don't think the Coyotes are an asset Wayne Gretzky would touch (again) with a 10-foot pole.

I heard his dad on the radio a few months ago, he said something like, Oh he's done with Phoenix.

Retail1LO*

Oh yeah. Gretzky. Greatest hockey player ever, wants nothing to do with it, and is still owed 8M. That's a gold star on the resume of this team's history in the desert. Such a shame he's left hangin' like that. That doesn't look good from any perspective.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I know the Hulsizer letter has been beaten to death. But I'm sure it can muster at least one more poke.

From the TSN Reporters Show

Good recap of last week's proceedings.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/dave_hodge/?id=359760
I would've been happy to proofread and edit Hulsizer's letter, having worked as a journalist for a decade before moving into more profitable work. I think an editing rate of $10,000 would have been reasonable, but I don't accept magic beans or municipal bonds as payment, so I suppose that's why the phone never rang.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
Yeah, the 300 members of the Coyotes fan club know about the owner, and can play the uncertainty card, but I highly doubt 17,000 other people in Arizona know about the ownership issue, or even care.

Sweeping generalities once again. If you live here, you would know what you typed is far from the truth. :shakehead

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
Oh yeah. Gretzky. Greatest hockey player ever, wants nothing to do with it, and is still owed 8M. That's a gold star on the resume of this team's history in the desert. Such a shame he's left hangin' like that. That doesn't look good from any perspective.

Well, considering how poor of a coach he was, I would love to call it even. He was absolutely terrible as a coach.

Pinchy

Oct 19, 2008
Well, considering how poor of a coach he was, I would love to call it even. He was absolutely terrible as a coach.

Sounds like how Glendale does business. Big promises up front - issues on the back end.

Hope those bond purchasers are confident...

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Only 15 posts left for us to think up a new title...

Xxxi - i saw matt hulsizer drinking a pina colada at trader vic's (obscure?)

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
Exactly, I don't buy this well the fans are staying away because of uncertainty. It'll only get more expensive next year as well. Bryzgalov will be looking for a big contract.

It's not hard to figure out. People don't go if there is uncertainty for the same reason the NHL is not going to announce anything bad before the playoffs end.

It's hard to ignite the fire for a team that might be moving to KC or wherever. Uncertainty affects the fans, players and most importantly the STH and Corporate sponsors.

Once the sale is done, A LOT of people will come back. It makes a huge difference.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
If a ATL was done between TNSE and the NHL why are they continuing this lil song and dance in Glendale ? they should just allow TNSE to take over the franchise if they are committed to Hulsizer.

If this ATL is also true why allow 5-6 bidders to come in and waste their time trying to get a team that's already sold ? doesn't make any sense.

maybe the NHL is committed to hulsizer but some things are out of their control....if the team craters then TNSE is their backup as it is in the only market ready to accept a team next season....the NHL needs that backup or else they are on the hook....TNSE will be left hanging until phoenix is settled one way or another.

maybe the atlanta guy is exploring his options for plan B now that the possibility is becoming more real that glendale will not succeed.

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
So the NHL has bond purchasers lined up? I wonder what the interest rate they're asking for. And I guess they have told Bettman that if the lawsuit threat goes away, they will lower it to 6%?

The NHL has courted an owner who "Likes hockey and once played hockey" and has put together a shady ownership group that cannot put their money towards the TOTAL purchase price of the team. Does that not signal warning bells in anyones head?

Bettman/Daly/NHL has really gone too far for the Coyotes. Do they not think that the media/sponsors might look poorly on how this is all being handled?

Dado

So the NHL has bond purchasers lined up? I wonder what the interest rate they're asking for.

I am highly confident there are buyers out there at under 9% even with the GWI situation unresolved.

Highly confident.

Which, frankly, raises more questions than it answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->