Phoenix Part XXX Hulz, you gotta get a gimmick if you want to get ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont

Alas, there’s the rub. Drop the price, and the NHL owners won’t get back most of the money they have already invested buying the ’Yotes out of bankruptcy and keeping them safe from the clutches of the evil Jim Balsillie. Plus, in a league in which there are multiple distress sales in progress right now, and in which franchise equity (as in all pro sports) is a big part of the ownership equation, finding out what the Coyotes are actually worth in Glendale would be in no one’s interest.

Strong point.

You add the Canadian owners and the American owners and that would be everybody who pays his salary, which is why Bettman will not surrender – at least not until the Coyotes’ playoff run is complete, and they have sold the last deeply discounted ticket, the last hot dog and beer to the tiny core of loyal fans.

Come playoff time, it would look silly on the NHL and Glendale if their (Coyotes) games were not sell outs.

Last edited:

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Is there a Glendale Civic election at the begining of April? How would this affect the process?

i thought glendale just had an election in the fall.

quick google shows that there is a glendale election april 5th...glendale, CA that is.

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont
Clint Bolick on Sports Radio 1290 in Winnipeg just stated that Grant Woods is a hired gun and he's not surprised Woods would state that the proposed deal fine. Also, Bolick believes the current deal is a fairly clear violation of gift clause. He said the gift prohibition in the AZ Constitution was tailor made for exactly these types of deals where the public entity lends its credit for the benefit of a private entity. The overall impression I got was that GWI was not impressed at all by the recent events this weekend.

GHOST

Um, podcast up yet? Sounds like a good listen...

jjflyer

Nov 18, 2004
I could be a little off here but just sitting here in amazement of how much crap the league has endured to keep this team in Glendale. I mean has any league endured this much to keep a team, ever?

I mean that's a lot of crap and headaches to endure

- Jerry Moyes files bankruptcy.
-Jim Balsillie case. Judge Baum.
-Jerry Reinsdorf in/Ice Edge in, now out after lease agreement fails.
-Ice Edge Holdings in, then out.
-Reinsdorf briefly back in, then out.
-Matt Hulsizer in to make bond deal to buy team
-City council approves 25 million losses 5-2
-Can't sell bonds
-Goldwater lawsuit

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
Their city council has changed in the past 8 years.
Actually only 2 council members have changed in last 8 years. Knaack in 2006 and Alvarez started January 2011.

Scruggs has been Mayor since 1993.
Vice Mayor Frate been with council sine 2000
Lieberman been with council since 1992
Martinez been with council since 1996
Clark been with council since 2000

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
TNSE could prove to be Glendale's best friend. Just wait another week and state. We've been left hanging long enough. Not interested anymore.

I doubt that would happen, certainly not that abruptly. But as was stated there is a mid April deadline given by TNSE and good grief if the situation in Glendale STILL hasn't been settled by that time, it would seem it would be past the point where there is any hope in Glendale.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I doubt that would happen, certainly not that abruptly. But as was stated there is a mid April deadline given by TNSE and good grief if the situation in Glendale STILL hasn't been settled by that time, it would seem it would be past the point where there is any hope in Glendale.

That would be the beauty of it. Bettman wakesup one morning and reads it....:laugh:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

While we should be careful not to go too OT with different ownership interests, I doubt TNSE is the only fish on the line the NHL has. It may be the best and most ready outside of Phoenix, but there's been whispers for some time about other markets in the States having an interest in an NHL franchise. (off the top of my head, Las Vegas is coming to mind although I'm very sketchy on what the details of their interest were...I seem to recall Bruckheimer being involved)

All that said, I still don't think we've reached "endgame" in Phoenix. (nor do I think TNSE is reaching an endgame--they've been just as patient as the NHL has by all accounts).

Retail1LO*

So let's turn it around and assume Hulsizer isn't a moron, and something so obviously wrong wouldn't get past him. From that assumption we can infer that the letter is the way it is on purpose.

From that one could infer it was deliberately written in a way that would be so impossible to decode that it runs no risk at all of biting his legal ass in the future - while still giving him the opportunity to chat it up during a PR stop on TV.

You DID read his fax, RIGHT? LOL

Retail1LO*

From that one could infer it was deliberately written in a way that would be so impossible to decode that it runs no risk at all of biting his legal ass in the future - while still giving him the opportunity to chat it up during a PR stop on TV.

Why write it at all then? I mean really, what did that letter accomplish? The letter itself wasn't going to provide him the PR stop on TV. Just do the TV spot and refrain from writing a letter that makes him look like a complete dope.

Retail1LO*

Strong point.

Come playoff time, it would look silly on the NHL and Glendale if their (Coyotes) games were not sell outs.

Come playoff time, it'd look silly if they WERE to sell out. No one can come out and support this team in force all GD season, but when the playoffs start, now everyone's supposed to fill the arena and give the impression that they love their Coyotes?

I've just never been a fan saying "Here I am." when you haven't been there all along.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
GSC2k2
Well, I DID try to drum up some substantive discussion by providing an analysis of Hulsizer's letter, but it got drowned out by competing analyses of Hulsizer's grammar, spelling and choice of fax machines.

You might go back there and check that out, and we could at least discuss that.

I missed it. I imagine that you noted Hulsizer's offer was vague and then opined that the letter was a clear indication of the strength of Goldwater's case. ;)

I accept the letter as a representation of Hulsizer's intention to have his LLC guarantee that Glendale will receive at least $75MM in cumulative revenue over the life of the agreement. I do not see how that creates any meaningful change to the defense of a potential challenge. However, we have not yet seen a term sheet outlining how the guarantee would be structured.

Unless Hulsizer guarantees the entire $179.9MM NPV of the transaction (figure per CBRE Report) or specifically guarantees the volatile Parking NOI figure, I do not see how this modification has much value in defending the transaction. That said, I remain confident that Goldwater would not prevail on a Gift Clause complaint, should such a complaint be filed.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Why write it at all then? I mean really, what did that letter accomplish? The letter itself wasn't going to provide him the PR stop on TV. Just do the TV spot and refrain from writing a letter that makes him look like a complete dope.

Maybe it was a PR move. The most straight forward was to get this deal done is for the Hulsizer, the city of Glendale and the NHL to sway public opinion against Goldwater.

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
Most of you have all seen how MH wasn't look at the camera and was rather looking down at the interview. To me it appears as if he was reading from a teleprompter.

If you look at his previous live interviews he was very confident with what he was saying and the words just flowed.

In this case it looks like he was reading from a script.

crazed323

Mar 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Come playoff time, it'd look silly if they WERE to sell out. No one can come out and support this team in force all GD season, but when the playoffs start, now everyone's supposed to fill the arena and give the impression that they love their Coyotes?

I've just never been a fan saying "Here I am." when you haven't been there all along.

Bandwagon Jumpers Unite. They should have been having rallies buying tickets and making sure everyone knows there is plenty of fan support in the desert. But they haven't. Count it

Dado

Why write it at all then? I mean really, what did that letter accomplish?

Dunno, mate.

But he's not a stupid guy, so however ridiculous the outcome, there was likely *something* "logical" behind his decision to do so.

What it is, I don't know...

Retail1LO*

Bandwagon Jumpers Unite. They should have been having rallies buying tickets and making sure everyone knows there is plenty of fan support in the desert. But they haven't. Count it

I agree. Someone else pointed out that the Yotes have had more home weekend games (Fri, Sat, Sun) games than most teams in the league, and that seems the only times they even get a half decent showing. That and the evenings where you get a free beer when you stop on by.

I'm not even inclined to give credit for half the attendance present at games with some of the promotions they've had to put forth just to get buts in the seats.

I know it's not a tell all, but when you look at a crowd, and can scarcely see anyone even wearing a Coyote jersey, it's a little bit, odd.

Retail1LO*

Dunno, mate.

But he's not a stupid guy, so however ridiculous the outcome, there was likely *something* "logical" behind his decision to do so.

What it is, I don't know...

LOL He's self made millionaire, so I'm inclined to agree that he's not stupid. However, I don't think anything about this whole ordeal has been anywhere in the same universe as "logical." So, I guess it's par for the course.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
It's amazing how unengaged the voters of Glendale are.

This would be a huge scandal if it happened in most cities. As with a lot of suburbs, seems like the place is run by developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad