Phoenix interested in Montoya?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Riggins, Jun 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Riggins

Riggins Registered User

2. EroCaps

EroCaps Registered User

If Tukonen falls out of the top 5, he's your steal. I love his game. I get a good feeling about Picard as well, if he falls out of the top 10, he's another steal. A few scouts go as far as to compare him to Hossa.

I wonder why the Yotes would take Montoya over Schwarz?

3. degroat*

degroat* Guest

I think Tukonen is going 4th.

4. PhoPhan

PhoPhan Registered User

This is old news. Old and bunk. I have no doubt that the Coyotes will take a goalie on day 1, but it will not be with the #5, and it will not be with Montoya. I am sure Dubnyk is their goalie of choice, due to the comparisons to Sean Burke, but I think they can get him at 35. At 5, the Coyotes will take one of Olesz, Tukonen, Radulov or Ladd.

5. Vagrant

Vagrant The Czech Condor

Home Page:
    What exactly makes it bunk? I'm not accusing you of not knowing for sure, but do you have a link that expresses the same sentiment that you have in your last post, PhoPhan? I still think it's a very real possibility that Montoya rises up to the #5 overall selection where Phoenix is selecting. Goalies come into the draft every year expected to be taken lower than they go and usually end up going higher. That was the case with Blackburn, LeClaire, Khran, Ward, Finley, DiPietro, Fleury, Luongo, Noronen, and even Phoenix's own DesRochers.

Is there any real information to back up that opinion or is it more of a gut feeling? I've had my fair share.

6. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager

Because they like him more? Schwarz isn't the consensus number one goaltender you know.

7. X-SHARKIE

X-SHARKIE Registered User

Home Page:
    Lauri Tukonen is the #1 guy on the Coyotes list. It just makes most sense, plus everone in there scouting staff basically saw him play at the U-18's.

I really don't see the sense in taking Montoya. I watched Leneveu alot over the past few years, and saw him three times this year. He's a stud goalie, Phoenix has more glaring needs (upfront) to take Montoya.

It all comes down to Chicago, well they take Barker? 50/50 IMO. They could take Tukonen, Ladd has be drawing interest, and so is Olesz.

If They don't take Barker, CJB get there guy, and if Tukonen is on the board...Snatch they get him.

8. andimgone

andimgone Registered User

What he said.

The Coyotes main problem is lack of depth on the left wing (on the farm as well). Dave Draper is a great scout, and he won't take a goalie 5th overall. If anything, he'll take a goalie with the 52nd or 53rd pick. (Possibly the 35th, but I doubt that as well).

Like PhoPhan said, Dubnyk is the most likely because of his size (could work wonders with Allaire as the goalie coach).

Coyotes will likely take Ladd, Tukonen, or Olesz, depending on who is available. Personally, I'm hoping for Ladd.

9. Broadway Brett

Broadway Brett Registered User

X-Sharkie: How do you do in English class? :dunno:

10. X-SHARKIE

X-SHARKIE Registered User

Home Page:
    Actually, English class is one of my strong points, i'm a good writer, but my grammar is bad...But if your proof read it let me correct it, proof read it again, let me correct it.

You complain about my spelling and grammar, but be very very thankful for key boards.

My pendmenship sp? is horrible.

11. Broadway Brett

I know your a GREAT writer, but the grammer is just... SCARY!

12. User571

User571 Registered User

goalie instructor
    Why would they take Montoya if they had LeNeveu. I guess youd have to weigh Montoya or LeNeveu's trading value against what you could get with that 5th pick.

13. Seachd

Seachd Registered User

Home Page:
    Fortunately, I live in a nice apartment building, so I can throw stones at your glass house.

14. Broadway Brett

:lol

15. PMP5030

PMP5030 Registered User

It wouldn't surprise me to see Phoenix take a goalie at #5. LeNeveu is an excellent prospect, but he's really the only promising goaltender prospect the Yotes have in their system. Pretty much all the other teams in the top 10 have more than one. Coupled with the fact that their current #1 situation in net is unsettled (Boucher is inconsistant at best), and I see why Phoenix might take Montoya or Schwarz.

16. leclairsavestheday

leclairsavestheday Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    The Coyotes do not have a settled goalie situation, but at least they have a top guy in LeNeveu. Depth can be added later, especially in this draft with guys like Dubnyk, Schneider, and Schultz. It's the same reason they won't take a defenseman. They have top end guys like Morris, Mara and Ballard. They could use depth, but they do not have any top end guys on offense, aside from guys like Nagy and Doan. They need a forward with top line potential (read: Tukonen, Olesz, Ladd, Radulov, etc.)

17. Jeff Goldblum

Jeff Goldblum Registered User

Home Page:

While we're correcting people's mistakes here, i'd like to remind you that it is infact 'Grammar'.

18. Broadway Brett

No it's not. :teach:

19. AlexandreTheNotSoGreat

AlexandreTheNotSoGreat Registered User

I hope you're being facetious.

20. mazmin

mazmin Go! Jets! Go!

Personal Trainer / FM
    I agree. It's safe to say Ovechkin,Barker and Malkin will be gone by the #5 pick. That leaves Ladd, Olesz and Tukonen as the most highly touted forwards. I'd like to see Ladd with the Yotes as well.

A skilled goalie like Montoya or Schwarz is always a smart pick. But if it's a goalie they want than they might trade down to around #10, where either Schwarz or Montoya could still be available.

21. Dan

Dan Registered User

Home Page:
    More fuel for this fire:

ANOTHER GOALIE?

Conventional wisdom has the Coyotes addressing their most pressing need — a skilled offensive forward — with the fifth pick of June 26 NHL entry draft. But many in the organization were very impressed by University of Michigan goaltender Al Montoya at the recent "NHL Combines" in Canada, and Montoya is considering skipping his final two years with the Wolverines and jumping right to the pro ranks.

The Coyotes already have a blue-chip goalie prospect in Cornell’s David LeNeveu, who played very well in Springfield last year. But the Coyotes not only see Montoya as a can’t-miss NHL goalie, but his Latino heritage could go a long way toward attracting new Arizona fans to the game. Phoenix has tried to pry Scott Gomez away from New Jersey several times, with the same thought process in mind.

The problem? Several teams are interested in Montoya and could trade up to take him first. If that’s the case, perhaps Phoenix should dangle its pick, moving down in the first round in return for an NHL-ready player who can assist in the rebuilding project.
    aztrib.com

22. Postman

Postman Registered User

The problem? Montoya is Cuban, not Mexican. I doubt your average Mexican would be attracted to hockey because of a Cuban goaltender. Might as well try for Raffi Torres if they can't get Gomez.

But if Florida were to pick him, Luongo would be run out of South Florida!

23. Riggins

Riggins Registered User

Yeah. Plus he should have used "you're" instead of "your". :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.