Phoenix CXXXIV: 3 Sheets To The Wind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
Smart move on Borroaway but I can't think of any savvy business person who be willing to pay for 49% of this inflated personal valuation of the team to retain no control, realize his portion is only to payoff past debts, and pay pretty much all future losses. Basically AB gets control of the team for free if he can find a sucker.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Some good info here - with the writer's opinion that this has become personal for Bettman

Shannon also believes working out singular building with the Suns is the only way this works. Also alludes to Houston is the most likely landing spot if it has to come to that but admits Fertitta doesn't want to pay what the league would like.

With the team now dodging the arena question and redirecting to ...focusing on putting a good team and being good in the community and all that.... This along with the amount Barroway is looking for and in light of Patterson's departure...this all but says the arena plan is on the back burner, perhaps for good with the current ownership.

With an apparent ceiling on their life line, Bettman may have to set his personal feelings aside soon...

Reactions: Llama19

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
There really is nothing, I can find that is "bitter Canadians club", they are just stating the facts. Everything they say in the video is true.

Everything they say in the video is opinion, largely based on hearsay. That it has the ring of truth is one thing, but to say it's "true" is quite another.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Arizona Coyotes broadcasters renew contracts with multiyear deals

To quote:

"The Arizona Coyotes and the team’s TV and radio play-by-play announcers and analysts agreed to multiyear contracts on Wednesday.

Matt McConnell and Tyson Nash will continue to be the Coyote’s play-by-play announcer and analyst, respectively, on FOX Sports Arizona and Bob Heethuis and Paul Bissonnette will be the voices of the team on KMVP, 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station.

The terms of the contracts were not disclosed, which is the team’s policy.

Last season the Arizona Coyotes had one of the lowest TV rankings in the NHL. The team had a season average rating of 0.35. That was down 17 percent from the 2016-17 season. The only teams with lower ratings were the Florida Panthers and the Anaheim Ducks."

Source: www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2018/07/18/arizonacoyotes-broadcasters-renew-contracts-with.html

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
still classy, I see.

but i guess if someone says something you don't like (or you can't comprehend), its easier just to say they are whacking a mole, or doing a drive-by, or trolling, or whatever ....

I can comprehend most everything.

I can also summarize the real business discussion of the last four to five chapters of this megathread in a single paragraph. The rest has been pretty much drive by with, remarkably, the same cast of characters repeating the same things.

But please do carry on.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Why would someone want to own 49% of a money losing hockey team. I could see owning 5-10% because that gets you in the "part owner" club like guys like Daryl Jones. I could see owning 51% because you get to run a pro team. I could see owning 49% of a money-maker because thats an investment. I don't see the appeal of buying that large of a stake since you neither have control nor make money.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Why would someone want to own 49% of a money losing hockey team. I could see owning 5-10% because that gets you in the "part owner" club like guys like Daryl Jones. I could see owning 51% because you get to run a pro team. I could see owning 49% of a money-maker because thats an investment. I don't see the appeal of buying that large of a stake since you neither have control nor make money.

Depends - Maybe you have an easy path to get that final 2% you want.

Reactions: jhaf1210

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Shannon is a hack, and is just stating what people have known for years.... Why is it news that the Coyotes are personal for Bettman....why wouldn't it be personal for Bettman? He takes every franchises well-being personally, if he didn't, he's not doing his job

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Depends - Maybe you have an easy path to get that final 2% you want.

That's a consideration, but really, the Coyotes are the easy part to sell. It's the Arizona part that is going to be hard because any new owner who buys the 49% is going to have to figure out how to build a new arena in Phoenix/Scottsdale. Unless that owner has a personal stake in the state of AZ, does that person really want to spend the time to deal with city officials over the next 3 years to make that happen?

Each team is worth only so much in a certain market. STL and MIN are never going to be worth what CHI is worth. Your market dictates the value of the franchise. GS Warriors will get another bump in value once their Chase Centre in SF is completed.

Suns owner is hoping that the Coyotes run out of runway in the next couple of years so that he ends up with a Les Alexander type deal in Houston where his NBA team controls the revenue streams of either a renovated TSRA or a new arena. And the Suns lease still has a few years left to run on it, so they aren't in any rush to work something out with the Coyotes.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
That's a consideration, but really, the Coyotes are the easy part to sell. It's the Arizona part that is going to be hard because any new owner who buys the 49% is going to have to figure out how to build a new arena in Phoenix/Scottsdale. Unless that owner has a personal stake in the state of AZ, does that person really want to spend the time to deal with city officials over the next 3 years to make that happen?

Each team is worth only so much in a certain market. STL and MIN are never going to be worth what CHI is worth. Your market dictates the value of the franchise. GS Warriors will get another bump in value once their Chase Centre in SF is completed.

Suns owner is hoping that the Coyotes run out of runway in the next couple of years so that he ends up with a Les Alexander type deal in Houston where his NBA team controls the revenue streams of either a renovated TSRA or a new arena. And the Suns lease still has a few years left to run on it, so they aren't in any rush to work something out with the Coyotes.

I agree, if there is an investor who steps up, they will most likely have an arena deal in their back pocket. Whether that arena is in Arizona or somewhere else is a matter for debate, but most assuredly anyone who buys in at this point will need to have an arena deal in place before the BOG will approve them.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I agree, if there is an investor who steps up, they will most likely have an arena deal in their back pocket. Whether that arena is in Arizona or somewhere else is a matter for debate, but most assuredly anyone who buys in at this point will need to have an arena deal in place before the BOG will approve them.
no they do not, if a minority share.... the arena deal is currently in perpetuity and can be renewed as it was for 2018/19....

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
no they do not, if a minority share.... the arena deal is currently in perpetuity and can be renewed as it was for 2018/19....

Unless I am mistaken the BOG has to approve all transactions that apply to the ownership of one of the member clubs, so any part of any club that is bought or sold has be approved as does the person or entity buying in. Bettman has already said that Glendale is untenable, so something has to be done. Why would the BOG approve a new owner if there is no plan to fix the problem? How would a new owner/investor make Glendale anymore viable than it currently is?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Unless I am mistaken the BOG has to approve all transactions that apply to the ownership of one of the member clubs, so any part of any club that is bought or sold has be approved as does the person or entity buying in. Bettman has already said that Glendale is untenable, so something has to be done. Why would the BOG approve a new owner if there is no plan to fix the problem? How would a new owner/investor make Glendale anymore viable than it currently is?

Bob Parsons..... billionaire founder of Go Daddy... and recent purchaser of the Westgate Entertainment District where Gila River Arena (the Coyotes home) sits.

If Bob Parsons were to buy in then you’re back to the original concept Steve Ellman had when he started the whole thing. Coyotes once again become a small part of a much bigger thing and gets support from the district while acting as a driver to bring people in.

However...... two glaring issues.

1) Parsons (through a spokesman) apparently has no interest in the Coyotes. And...

2) Parsons is an alpha dog type who would not buy into something and not have control of it.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Bob Parsons..... billionaire founder of Go Daddy... and recent purchaser of the Westgate Entertainment District where Gila River Arena (the Coyotes home) sits.

If Bob Parsons were to buy in then you’re back to the original concept Steve Ellman had when he started the whole thing. Coyotes once again become a small part of a much bigger thing and gets support from the district while acting as a driver to bring people in.

1) Parsons (through a spokesman) apparently has no interest in the Coyotes. And...

2) Parsons is an alpha dog type who would not buy into something and not have control of it.
Parson's having no interest just isn't true. Parsons wanting control is totally true.

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013

Yeah I was sort of not counting him as he did release a statement to the effect of "not interested in the Coyotes or the arena". Which would be pretty much in line with the rest of his portfolio, from what I was reading he owns a couple of areas similar to Westgate. Even if you count him, I am pretty sure there would still have to be a new lease or some sort of new agreement with COG. From everything we have been told by Bettman and previous owners, Glendale is just not feasible for hockey without the subsidy. Unless him owning Westgate changes minds on the COG council, I just do not see him being able to make it work. Sure he could weather a lot more losses but why? And if you are looking for a new arena, why would Parsons buy the area around the arena you are trying to leave?

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Bob Parson's ( YAM ) owns quite a bit of property around Phoenix

Commercial Real Estate Properties Phoenix AZ

Would any of his other property locations be something that could one day host a new arena for the Coyotes?

None of those listed, no. Although looking at it, it's interesting that he has ASU surrounded. Too bad something couldn't be made to work at Rural/University with ASU, because that would be a *really* good location (and not far from the prematurely announced one from a couple of years ago)

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I've maintained for a while that Glendale is really the only location that makes sense right now. Even if someone rich enough to buy the yotes and build them an arena decides to do so, they will be fighting the Suns too hard.

The plan to team up with ASU was brilliant (on paper), and exactly the kind of solution they needed.

Unfortunately the real world isn't on paper, and that ownership group combined with the political will at ASU made it a long range chance at best.

Last edited:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Developer reveals details on hockey, volleyball facilities planned for north Phoenix

To quote:

"The arena will have two National Hockey League-sized rinks, five regulation-sized convertible basketball and volleyball courts, plus upstairs restaurants with seating that will provide views of games.

“I learned that you don’t just build one ice rink, you build two because of the equipment needed,” he said. “I also learned there is a large demand for indoor girls’ volleyball, there’s a lack of adequate facilities.”

The amateur sports arena will focus on neighborhood and house league teams for children to adults, (Robert) Eaton (Jr.) said.

“There is a huge demand, pent-up demand on the hockey side,” Eaton said. “A lot of Canadians live in Phoenix who love the sport and want to introduce their kids to the sport.”"

Source (paywall): www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2018/07/19/developer-phoenix-hockey-volleyball-facilities.html

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
I can comprehend most everything.

I can also summarize the real business discussion of the last four to five chapters of this megathread in a single paragraph. The rest has been pretty much drive by with, remarkably, the same cast of characters repeating the same things.

But please do carry on.
yes please. im actually quite interested in how you would summarize it all. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad