Phoenix CXXXIV: 3 Sheets To The Wind

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
So, it's your opinion that they are staying in Arizona, forever, no matter what?

And how do you mean your implication that Arizona is not a franchise in trouble?
they haven't since GRA WAS BUILT, MNN.... THEY'RE still there I'M NOT SO sure Houston really wants hockey, either.... based off Fertitta's comments thus far

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
The tinfoil hat in me says that Barroway has always been looking to get out, and the NHL guaranteed he would with no losses.

I don't believe it's true, but I don't think it's as far-fetched as I initially thought.

can't disagree. everything about ownership of this franchise since it went into BK has been a series of amateurs and charades. malfunctioning fax machines, that was fun. a carload of well intentioned but stupid clowns, always entertaining. these after shutting the door on a real guy in greg jamison (i still don't get that). then a bunch of creative accounting, a white knight ,and here we are. reportedly though, most of barroway's net worth is tied up in this one investment. he barely has enough scratch to pay one year of losses. he's likely the poorest owner in the league ... a stand-in, if you will. i dont thunk its tinfoil to think that barroway has never been in a position to afford to own this team. the asset is highly leveraged. massive league loans. other private high interest loans (who does that other than poor people?) an exception to the league's minimum attendance rules for revenue sharing, on life support really.

i think barroway simply volunteered/got seconded to graciously get the privilege of temporarily sitting in the pilot seat while it all just circles on auto-pilot waiting for either a gullible local council to cough up new arena money (not that an east side venue is actually a reasonable solution) or for someone in a land far away to get their act together.

he's had enough. he wants out and wants some of his money back.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The one and only reason that Barroway is putting a $500MM price tag on the Coyotes is because of Vegas. That's it. Someone elsewhere paid that for team A so by NHL logic, team B must be worth the same. :shakehead

"Sources tell me that the $500 million valuation figure includes working capital to cover current losses as well as capital calls (money investors put into the team in subsequent years to cover operating losses). So if this deal gets announced as $500 million, be very skeptical. "

In what universe are the Coyotes worth $500 large? A universe in which they don't play in the state of Arizona. Oh... we are skeptical.

I'd say Carolina more than Vegas. Foley has part ownership of TMobile Arena. That adds (a LOT of) value. Carolina also has a damn good arena situation too but not to the extent Vegas has. Plus... remember how many eyebrows got raised over Dundon's purchase price of the Canes not too long ago.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
can't disagree. everything about ownership of this franchise since it went into BK has been a series of amateurs and charades. malfunctioning fax machines, that was fun. a carload of well intentioned but stupid clowns, always entertaining. these after shutting the door on a real guy in greg jamison (i still don't get that). then a bunch of creative accounting, a white knight ,and here we are. reportedly though, most of barroway's net worth is tied up in this one investment. he barely has enough scratch to pay one year of losses. he's likely the poorest owner in the league ... a stand-in, if you will. i dont thunk its tinfoil to think that barroway has never been in a position to afford to own this team. the asset is highly leveraged. massive league loans. other private high interest loans (who does that other than poor people?) an exception to the league's minimum attendance rules for revenue sharing, on life support really.

i think barroway simply volunteered/got seconded to graciously get the privilege of temporarily sitting in the pilot seat while it all just circles on auto-pilot waiting for either a gullible local council to cough up new arena money (not that an east side venue is actually a reasonable solution) or for someone in a land far away to get their act together.

he's had enough. he wants out and wants some of his money back.

"He wants out" by allegedly selling a minority share....... okay. :rolleyes:

Reactions: GuelphStormer

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
This makes perfect sense to me. He bought out IceArizona because it was what, 11 different people involved? He also had 2 weeks Tony that wouldn't keep his mouth shut. This way, he's able to find funding, and perhaps a strategic partner in helping find an arena deal. He's still going to be the majority owner. Love how so many people are chalking this up as a sign of defeat.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
This over evaluation is likely one of the main reasons why Borrowaway has been looking for an investor for over a year and yet...no one crazy enough to jump on board. I can understand why AB needs that cash infusion amount, but how can that number be justified? 250 million in debt (according to the article) in that market. If anyone would be foolish enough to pay that off, plus cover future losses, I am sure that the team could be had for $1.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Never change, Daryl (former IceArizona owner) Jones...never change...

I am quite sure that Conor will be receiving a call from GB very soon. He seems like the type of person that would make an ideal NHL owner, for a team in Arizona:laugh:

Reactions: Llama19

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This makes perfect sense to me. He bought out IceArizona because it was what, 11 different people involved? He also had 2 weeks Tony that wouldn't keep his mouth shut. This way, he's able to find funding, and perhaps a strategic partner in helping find an arena deal. He's still going to be the majority owner. Love how so many people are chalking this up as a sign of defeat.

The NHL helped him finance the deal that bought out IA because they were a liability and no local partner wanted to work with them. Barroway still doesn't have the money to bridge the gap to a new arena and no partner is going to sign on to lose as much money as the Coyotes are without getting complete control of the team.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
It is.... but you need to realize he's not concerned about that. For a few people around here it's how can something be turned into a "Whack-A-(insert Coyotes owner here)" discussion.
huh? who is not concerned about what? is it barroway who is not concerned about seeing a majority of his personal wealth evaporate before his eyes? i'd think he is very concerned about that. or is it me, as the OP of reference, who is not concerned about actually discussing the finances of this franchise and interested only in drive-by whacking?

Reactions: Llama19

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
huh? who is not concerned about what? is it barroway who is not concerned about seeing a majority of his personal wealth evaporate before his eyes? i'd think he is very concerned about that. or is it me, as the OP of reference, who is not concerned about actually discussing the finances of this franchise and interested only in drive-by whacking?

The “he” wasn’t referring to Barroway.

I’ll let you figure the rest out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad