Phoenix CXXX: Sock it to ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
...Anyhoo... just throwing this all out there. Nothing really "new" per se'. I certainly didnt come across very many at all supportive of using taxpayer funds, providing land, sweetheart lease or whatever to this club on the East Side. Quite the opposite in fact and particularly so in light of the situation with the Suns ~ TSRA & the D-Backs. The Coyotes & their objective ranking well down the list of most peoples priorities.

Barroway sits down at a park bench, next to Sarver...

Barroway: Would you like to go in on an arena?
(Sarver hits him)

Barroway goes to another park bench, and sits down next to Worsley...

Barroway: Would you like to introduce another arena bill?
(Worsley hits him)

Barroway goes to the next park bench, and sits down next to Weiers...

Barroway: Could we get together again under different terms?
(Weiers hits him with a new, less favorable lease)

(Barroway falls off the park bench, ambulance arrives and takes him away to another location)

;)

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Thats cool. That fans, public in Tucson responding moderately favorably... avg 16/17 att ranking them 25 out of 30 AHL Teams so long row to hoe, nothing to Crow about but ok, at least their tryin. Would make for a neat little road trip if you ever get the chance, go check it out.... And no, no Patterson's got some serious depths of experience in the area of facility development, lobbying etc. I doubt we'll hear much of anything this coming season but when we do hear something its going to be pretty dramatic. Either a Big Reveal or an announcement that despite their best efforts, no deals to be had, moving out of State. Whether that happens this season or next... no idea. No idea how much rope theyve been given by the League, who absorbs the losses as in what split or % between Barroway & the NHL... just a lot of questions & no answers. Just the mission statement as to what their objectives are in building a new home East Valley or Downtown.

I would love to see happen to the Coyotes that happened to the Blackhawks where the minor league team outdrew the NHL team on same day games.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Killion, good stuff as usual. To your point regarding a competitive product, I have always felt that if management spent closer to the cap year in and year out they would have had a better chance of icing winning teams. Today, like the previous years, they are once again near the bottom of the league in player payroll. Say what you like, teams that pay closer to the top of the cap are more likely to be winning. The Coyotes, by virtue of their scant resources, have doomed themselves to be bottom dwellers. The fans see this lack of commitment by ownership and respond in kind with their own brand of commitment- non attendance. Until Barroway or some other owner commits to spending the money this team will always struggle to contend. Who wants to spend valuable dollars 41 times a year to watch a team that looks more like a minor league franchise?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Killion, good stuff as usual. To your point regarding a competitive product, I have always felt that if management spent closer to the cap year in and year out they would have had a better chance of icing winning teams. Today, like the previous years, they are once again near the bottom of the league in player payroll. Say what you like, teams that pay closer to the top of the cap are more likely to be winning. The Coyotes, by virtue of their scant resources, have doomed themselves to be bottom dwellers. The fans see this lack of commitment by ownership and respond in kind with their own brand of commitment- non attendance. Until Barroway or some other owner commits to spending the money this team will always struggle to contend. Who wants to spend valuable dollars 41 times a year to watch a team that looks more like a minor league franchise?

Exactly...conversely...who wants to spend money to build them a new arena in the East Valley...so far...no one is stepping up...

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
New Comiskey/The Cell/G-Rate Field was inbetween your examples. It was a modern ballpark when built in terms of structual design and revenue-generating elements (luxury suites, concourses, concessions, elevators, etc). Where it was behind the times (actually right before the new era as it was designed in 1988-89) was in its visual design. The owners were presented with a few different plans, one the retro modern design, which they rejected. It was sort of an island unto itself, built as a baseball-only stadium as the cookie cutter stadium era was winding down (SkyDome & Tropicana Dome opened up around the same timeframe) but before the retro modern era of baseball-only stadiums. It's not retro modern, it's not part of the cookie cutter baseball-football stadiums either. That said, over the 2000s, they made many changes in response to complaints (changing the seats from blue to green, modifying the upper deck, adding more Old Comiskey elements, etc) as well as doing a little stadium maintenance each year (the dull standard stuff, renovating the clubhouses, etc) and adding new things (all the statues). They have the revenue-generating features modern era stadiums have (although they didn't get to replace their antiquated scoreboard until 2016).

You're exactly right about Comiskey being just 1/2 correct as an example. As much as I like the retro ballparks, I actually prefered new Comiskey to Camden Yards, even before the 2000s renovations because new Comiskey had open concourses, great for fan relaxation and a feeling of being at home in the ballpark as you can still see the game as you walk around to get refreshments, etc. The new generation of arenas, like GRA, have open concourses on all levels (even new Comiskey doesn't on the upper deck), which is a great upgrade over the cramped feeling older rinks can give. With all those great amenities, GRA shouldn't be talked of as a 15-year-old building. For all practical purposes, it is a great new facility.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So with slow news, been searching the internet for inf.... I saw a graph on another site that actually broke down by %'s the numbers of fans by seating sections, from the glass to the upper bowl at GRA of East Valley or West Valley residents. I couldnt find the actual source for it, believe it was based on Seasons Ticket Holders & buyers of mini-packs, not even sure what year or season, no total numbers given.... and as the numbers weve seen over the years be it from consultants hired by the COG or the Coyotes are of a dubious nature at best I didnt post it here however.... That graph, not surprisingly, the breakdown was indeed East Valley heavy in the lower bowl, split more evenly in the upper bowl & ends between East & West but still with a greater majority of East Valley residents. The graph may have been part of the Coyotes prospectus that was presented to Worsleys' Transpo Committee. Ballparking it overall, about 75% East Valley (and ya, without ever having really marketed in the West Valley, locally in Glendale thats not all that surprising).

They already have a database that shows where their full and partial STHs reside. Doesn't take a lot to sort them by zipcode.

Coyotes have also collected email address data when they make small giveaway promos via their website (and social media). Want to enter to win a couple of tickets? Then provide them an email and/or location (usually zipcode).

This was followed by comments from the public, almost entirely East Valley residents again with the major complaint/obstacle of location. Glendale. Driving time for a mid-week game. Some from places like Gilbert claiming it took them over 90 minutes one way, late for the 7pm puck-drop. "Major hassle with traffic, getting into & out of Westgate". Entirely different situation with the Cards. Mostly Sundays, 1/4 the # of games but a trip none the less. It was further suggested by many that in their opinion even if the arena was located in the East Valley or downtown that if the Coyotes werent actually Stanley Cup threats year in year out that attendance really wouldnt improve all that much as there are just way too many games to be committing to with 41 RS and then Playoffs.

Getting into and out of Westgate isn't the real chore. It's not as easy as it used to be when the arena sat there all by itself, but it's far easier than say... downtown. And I've done both.

Getting TO Westgate proper is a legitimate issue for some. You mentioned Gilbert which is farther in the southwest than Tempe is. This means you have to navigate the downtown core during rush hour on weekdays, and in some cases it's often faster just to stay on the side streets rather than using the I-10 and/or I-17. So for the fan coming from Gilbert with the kids in tow, it's not difficult to understand why they balk at committing to 41 nights with half coming on weekdays.

There is some relief coming with the Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway but it's at least two years away, and possibly longer if the opposition wins their current case in court to block the blasting out of South Mountain for part of the route.

BTW.... I've seen people from the East Valley on the internet say they would more likely become STHs if the team were on that side of the valley. Hmmmmm........ ;)

Time & cost prohibitive even with the team on the East Side. Further acknowledgement by those astute enough to fully understand what it would take to make the Coyotes a perennial threat requiring that ownership spend to the CAP ceiling on talent & that they would need to spend uncapped big money on Scouting, Analytics, on their Minor Pro Team ('s), Camps & Clinics & so on & so forth.And even if they did all of that, 41 home dates with an East Valley or Downtown arena just too much of a commitment in time & money "but for sure I'd be there for the Playoffs". Unfortunately these are not the 70's, the Coyotes are not the Dynasty Montreal Canadiens with pretty much a lock on the Stanley Cup for over half a decade. The league doesnt work that way anymore. There are really no more "Dynasty's". Been sacrificed on the alter of "parity & cost certainty" and more than just a few East Valley residents certainly got all of that, understood & as such... prognostication's not good regardless of where in the Valley the Coyotes located.

I dunno..... the posters in F40 are pretty happy about the changes Barroway has made so far. :laugh: But they aren't looking for a "dynasty".

They just want to watch entertaining hockey and have a team that plays a full 60 minutes to win rather than play not to lose every time they get a lead. ;).

There was also mutual consensus in what Ive found on my travels throughout the internet amongst East Valley residents that a shared facility with Sarver & the Suns is a total non-starter. Not unless he actually buys the franchise himself & obviously thats not going to happen. Overall, my takeaway on everything I read which only really reconfirmed & validated my existing opinions was that the problem is systemic, runs far deeper than just location from an East Valley residents/fans perspective. It speaks to way too much inventory as in too many RS Games & Scheduling, mid-week. Time commitment with traffic being what it is, just not on & that even if they were on the East Side it wouldnt improve, that really wouldnt change much. Shorter drive ya but still, too many games, too much commitment in time & money. Lack of performance & compete of course, everything weve hashed & rehashed here a 1000 ways from Sunday.

The mutual consensus among Coyotes (and most Suns) fans is Sarver is a greedy ass who doesn't play nice with anyone. :laugh: They recognize a joint use arena makes the most practical sense but also know Sarver isn't going to give up anything he's currently got.

For a variety of reasons we dont really have a wide range of voices from the East Valley (or West for that matter) posting here though we did from 2009~13. I hadnt ever really scoped out the various chatboards, comments sections following reports from the broader community in Arizona on this whole issue so it was certainly edifying, interesting. Nowhere did I read anyone buying into the "magical geographical cure", Silver Bullet hypothesis put forth by ownership & the NHL. Nor was there much of anything echoing the altruistic, the sizzle being pedaled by the NHL & Barroway, about "growing the game" in Arizona. That no cost was or would be too high to realize those lofty goals. They certainly for the whole werent buying that one. There was very little empathy for the COG that I read anywhere from East Valley residents, resentment in fact for having inconvenienced them in building the arena. That Scottsdale made a mistake in not just taking Ellman at face-value, but that even then these exact same sets of problems would exist & that history wouldnt have been much different from the one that unwound.

Meh.... ain't touching this one. Don't want to get into trouble. ;)

Anyhoo... just throwing this all out there. Nothing really "new" per se'. I certainly didnt come across very many at all supportive of using taxpayer funds, providing land, sweetheart lease or whatever to this club on the East Side. Quite the opposite in fact and particularly so in light of the situation with the Suns ~ TSRA & the D-Backs. The Coyotes & their objective ranking well down the list of most peoples priorities.

Well.... maybe I will get into trouble a little....

Funny thing is.... posters from all around outside Arizona complain about the Coyotes getting a taxpayer funded facility..... and when you look in their backyard you will many times find that their favorite team has benefited from some sort of direct and/or indirect taxpayer funding. There ARE some franchises and owners who pay their own way, and that's great.

That said.... this is still a very fiscally conservative state. Despite the influx of people in recent years who aren't as miserly.

Personally.... I don't have a problem with public entities providing some financial resources to bag a sports franchise. But not take all of the responsibility. For the Coyotes to get a new arena they (nee Barroway) are(is) going to have to put a substantial amount of dough into it.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
So with slow news, been searching the internet for inf.... I saw a graph on another site that actually broke down by %'s the numbers of fans by seating sections, from the glass to the upper bowl at GRA of East Valley or West Valley residents. I couldnt find the actual source for it, believe it was based on Seasons Ticket Holders & buyers of mini-packs, not even sure what year or season, no total numbers given.... and as the numbers weve seen over the years be it from consultants hired by the COG or the Coyotes are of a dubious nature at best I didnt post it here however.... That graph, not surprisingly, the breakdown was indeed East Valley heavy in the lower bowl, split more evenly in the upper bowl & ends between East & West but still with a greater majority of East Valley residents. The graph may have been part of the Coyotes prospectus that was presented to Worsleys' Transpo Committee. Ballparking it overall, about 75% East Valley (and ya, without ever having really marketed in the West Valley, locally in Glendale thats not all that surprising).

This was followed by comments from the public, almost entirely East Valley residents again with the major complaint/obstacle of location. Glendale. Driving time for a mid-week game. Some from places like Gilbert claiming it took them over 90 minutes one way, late for the 7pm puck-drop. "Major hassle with traffic, getting into & out of Westgate". Entirely different situation with the Cards. Mostly Sundays, 1/4 the # of games but a trip none the less. It was further suggested by many that in their opinion even if the arena was located in the East Valley or downtown that if the Coyotes werent actually Stanley Cup threats year in year out that attendance really wouldnt improve all that much as there are just way too many games to be committing to with 41 RS and then Playoffs.

Time & cost prohibitive even with the team on the East Side. Further acknowledgement by those astute enough to fully understand what it would take to make the Coyotes a perennial threat requiring that ownership spend to the CAP ceiling on talent & that they would need to spend uncapped big money on Scouting, Analytics, on their Minor Pro Team ('s), Camps & Clinics & so on & so forth.And even if they did all of that, 41 home dates with an East Valley or Downtown arena just too much of a commitment in time & money "but for sure I'd be there for the Playoffs". Unfortunately these are not the 70's, the Coyotes are not the Dynasty Montreal Canadiens with pretty much a lock on the Stanley Cup for over half a decade. The league doesnt work that way anymore. There are really no more "Dynasty's". Been sacrificed on the alter of "parity & cost certainty" and more than just a few East Valley residents certainly got all of that, understood & as such... prognostication's not good regardless of where in the Valley the Coyotes located.

There was also mutual consensus in what Ive found on my travels throughout the internet amongst East Valley residents that a shared facility with Sarver & the Suns is a total non-starter. Not unless he actually buys the franchise himself & obviously thats not going to happen. Overall, my takeaway on everything I read which only really reconfirmed & validated my existing opinions was that the problem is systemic, runs far deeper than just location from an East Valley residents/fans perspective. It speaks to way too much inventory as in too many RS Games & Scheduling, mid-week. Time commitment with traffic being what it is, just not on & that even if they were on the East Side it wouldnt improve, that really wouldnt change much. Shorter drive ya but still, too many games, too much commitment in time & money. Lack of performance & compete of course, everything weve hashed & rehashed here a 1000 ways from Sunday.

For a variety of reasons we dont really have a wide range of voices from the East Valley (or West for that matter) posting here though we did from 2009~13. I hadnt ever really scoped out the various chatboards, comments sections following reports from the broader community in Arizona on this whole issue so it was certainly edifying, interesting. Nowhere did I read anyone buying into the "magical geographical cure", Silver Bullet hypothesis put forth by ownership & the NHL. Nor was there much of anything echoing the altruistic, the sizzle being pedaled by the NHL & Barroway, about "growing the game" in Arizona. That no cost was or would be too high to realize those lofty goals. They certainly for the whole werent buying that one. There was very little empathy for the COG that I read anywhere from East Valley residents, resentment in fact for having inconvenienced them in building the arena. That Scottsdale made a mistake in not just taking Ellman at face-value, but that even then these exact same sets of problems would exist & that history wouldnt have been much different from the one that unwound.

Anyhoo... just throwing this all out there. Nothing really "new" per se'. I certainly didnt come across very many at all supportive of using taxpayer funds, providing land, sweetheart lease or whatever to this club on the East Side. Quite the opposite in fact and particularly so in light of the situation with the Suns ~ TSRA & the D-Backs. The Coyotes & their objective ranking well down the list of most peoples priorities.

Good find and analysis. Too bad that the combative tone here sometimes drove away those locals from 2009-2013 that you mention who could give us more insights on East vs West Valley fan patterns. For example, I think someone here might have written that the East Valley is more likely to have northerners and Midwesterners living there. My Mom wintered in the east valley and she said they had a fair number of people from British Columbia in her area, but that's just anecdotal. Any insights from the AZ locals about those residency patterns?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Good find and analysis. Too bad that the combative tone here sometimes drove away those locals from 2009-2013 that you mention who could give us more insights on East vs West Valley fan patterns. For example, I think someone here might have written that the East Valley is more likely to have northerners and Midwesterners living there. My Mom wintered in the east valley and she said they had a fair number of people from British Columbia in her area, but that's just anecdotal. Any insights from the AZ locals about those residency patterns?

Not sure if that type of granular information is available...but this NYTimes article shows the different states/regions of people that move from/to Arizona...among other states...

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/08/13/upshot/where-people-in-each-state-were-born.html

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Not sure if that type of granular information is available...but this NYTimes article shows the different states/regions of people that move from/to Arizona...among other states...

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/08/13/upshot/where-people-in-each-state-were-born.html

Hey, there's something useful(!) :amazed: That actually backed up what I was about to respond, as due to a combination of a)weather (obviously), b) Motorola (a Chicago based company, at least it was) et al, and c) Cubs spring training, an unusually high number of Illinois (read, Chicago) diaspora have taken up residence in AZ, especially EV (where the Cubs ST is) in the last 50-60 years

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Personally.... I don't have a problem with public entities providing some financial resources to bag a sports franchise. But not take all of the responsibility. For the Coyotes to get a new arena they (nee Barroway) are(is) going to have to put a substantial amount of dough into it.

Right, and nor do I provided its not completely one sided, the P2 or P3 equitable, reasonable. This situation however, obviously far from the norm as the club already has a practically brand spankin new facility with actually very little mileage on it but sure, in need of a few upgrades. Secondly, the taxpayers are already on the hook, tens of millions already spent.

So its not like GRA is in need of replacement, rundown, outdated. That buildings easily got another 30-40yrs of life left in it, more in fact. However, in this day & age & into the future the shelf life of these facilities just keeps on getting shorter & shorter despite their serviceability as owners, developers & leagues just keep on demanding more & more & more, a new building, another boondoggle, more subsidies. Free money, free land, tax breaks, kickbacks.

Nothings really changed that I can find at the State, County or Municipal levels from just this past Session & year. Just the players have changed, with Patterson & Barroway now heading up the East Valley relocation search & efforts & I dont think it matters one whit, wont change a thing. Pattersons experience, his contacts, not gunna make a hill of difference from LeBlanc's quarterbacking. Their not going to get off their own goal line. Any advances they do make pushed back by the COG's arsenal, by the objections of various politico's & the public itself and not just from West Siders but East Siders as well.

Tribes? Out. So that leaves downtown. City of Phoenix. And if you or anyone thinks Seattles a Cluster**** such a scenario in Phoenix, 2 competing facilities both smack downtown PLUS a number of other indoor facilities downtown and all vying for some of the same business.... along with GRA & the ASU facilities.... the mind reels.... not on. Shared facility sure but that not on either.... a total impasse here TL. Do you seriously believe given the manner in which Barroways financed the purchase of the club that he's able to also access another $250M+++ or go it entirely privately? I sure dont. Youd need beyond Ballmer $$$ to try & pull all this off.

Last edited:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
..snip...
Well.... maybe I will get into trouble a little....

Funny thing is.... posters from all around outside Arizona complain about the Coyotes getting a taxpayer funded facility..... and when you look in their backyard you will many times find that their favorite team has benefited from some sort of direct and/or indirect taxpayer funding. There ARE some franchises and owners who pay their own way, and that's great.

That said.... this is still a very fiscally conservative state. Despite the influx of people in recent years who aren't as miserly.

I'll simply quote this part.

Legend,

It's definitely true that there are franchises the host city/state of which paid or helped-pay for the arena. That's true in St Paul, host of the team I follow most closely. As has been said, "Glendale built the whole thing at GRA." So, the real issue in many minds here is not entirely that taxes are used for an arena. It's that, in this case, a new arena will be no better an arena than the one they currently use. In that situation, AZ and muni taxes building an arena seems 'wrong.' And, I know that every person has their own definition of that, but that's mine.

Then, while many places have had fully or partially funded arenas, the trend nationwide now seems to be less from the munis and more from the owners. Many of us feel that is a good idea. And, that places more onus on the Coyotes ownership.

Also, there is the (perhaps), elephant in the room. A new arena is very unlikely in and of itself to solve the Coyotes' $$ woes. That is why many of us suspect that they really want a subsidy...and operating fee. It will have to be a huge fee. One way to think of GRA is that the Yotes only wanted out when they lost the 15M/year fee. Such a fee is completely improper. It exists for one reason only....to force the taxpayers to pay the team's losses. Running an arena doesn't require that kind of fee, and if it does, be honest with everyone and tell us that every city is running a loss on every arena, because that's the conclusion.

There are cases, such as Winnipeg and Nashville, where there are city subsidies. In Winnipeg's case, theirs is a privately owned arena. The tax subsidy comes from all the business of TNSE, not just the team, and has to do with the entertainment industry in general. Because it's a privately held arena, and because there is non-hockey involvement, it is difficult to determine just how much of that ultimately derives from the Jets. That is an ongoing discussion here between Gnashville and Winnipeg people.

In Nashville's case, the 'subsidy' is much smaller than the Yotes need, and I do not know the details.

I mention both of these cases for comparison and ful disclosure.

Again, Legend, it's not "taxpayer money for an arena." It's "taxpayer money for an arena when taxpayers are still paying for the one they are using, and there is nothing wrong with it other than location. And, the team requested it there." It's "taxpayer money on a continual basis so the team doesn't lose its shirt."

These things are matters of scale, of 'feel', but it seems to me as if the differences are huge, and meaningful.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Legend,current ownership has stated many times that they have the money to partner with another private entity or the state. Would it not be in their best interest to begin the new stadium process without a partner, commit their half, or some percentage, and begin the process. Their leadership and financial commitment would send a strong message to Sarver or the city/state representatives that they are serious about a new arena venue for the Coyotes. They have been saying all along that they are committed to the greater Phoenix area and have the will and the money to move forward, so why not? Their reticence to make any commitments is the "red flag" that has prevented most of us from taking their rhetoric seriously. Either move forward with your plan or find a way out of the AZ. marketplace now!

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
I'll simply quote this part.

Legend,

It's definitely true that there are franchises the host city/state of which paid or helped-pay for the arena. That's true in St Paul, host of the team I follow most closely. As has been said, "Glendale built the whole thing at GRA." So, the real issue in many minds here is not entirely that taxes are used for an arena. It's that, in this case, a new arena will be no better an arena than the one they currently use. In that situation, AZ and muni taxes building an arena seems 'wrong.' And, I know that every person has their own definition of that, but that's mine.

Then, while many places have had fully or partially funded arenas, the trend nationwide now seems to be less from the munis and more from the owners. Many of us feel that is a good idea. And, that places more onus on the Coyotes ownership.

Also, there is the (perhaps), elephant in the room. A new arena is very unlikely in and of itself to solve the Coyotes' $$ woes. That is why many of us suspect that they really want a subsidy...and operating fee. It will have to be a huge fee. One way to think of GRA is that the Yotes only wanted out when they lost the 15M/year fee. Such a fee is completely improper. It exists for one reason only....to force the taxpayers to pay the team's losses. Running an arena doesn't require that kind of fee, and if it does, be honest with everyone and tell us that every city is running a loss on every arena, because that's the conclusion.

There are cases, such as Winnipeg and Nashville, where there are city subsidies. In Winnipeg's case, theirs is a privately owned arena. The tax subsidy comes from all the business of TNSE, not just the team, and has to do with the entertainment industry in general. Because it's a privately held arena, and because there is non-hockey involvement, it is difficult to determine just how much of that ultimately derives from the Jets. That is an ongoing discussion here between Gnashville and Winnipeg people.

In Nashville's case, the 'subsidy' is much smaller than the Yotes need, and I do not know the details.

I mention both of these cases for comparison and ful disclosure.

Again, Legend, it's not "taxpayer money for an arena." It's "taxpayer money for an arena when taxpayers are still paying for the one they are using, and there is nothing wrong with it other than location. And, the team requested it there." It's "taxpayer money on a continual basis so the team doesn't lose its shirt."

These things are matters of scale, of 'feel', but it seems to me as if the differences are huge, and meaningful.

I agree with you 100%. In addition, both the NHL and their ownership group at the time were fine with building in Glendale. Bettman making several positive statements about the building and the location upon completion.
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING was mentioned about how GRA was in a poor location until after the golden subsidy was removed. IA bought the team but only after they could secure a lease that would keep them at the location for at least 15 years. Location was never a real issue...it was all about the subsidy. Now after what has gone down, the league and their ownership group says that they can't remain in Glendale. They have come to this conclusion the same way that they approved GRA. It is based on where they think that they can get the next handout. I am not against government assistance in constructing a (singular) facility for a team. The Coyotes have that facility..built specifically for them. If it is not good enough for them then by all means, build another facility..but with your own money.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Legend,current ownership has stated many times that they have the money to partner with another private entity or the state. Would it not be in their best interest to begin the new stadium process without a partner, commit their half, or some percentage, and begin the process. Their leadership and financial commitment would send a strong message to Sarver or the city/state representatives that they are serious about a new arena venue for the Coyotes. They have been saying all along that they are committed to the greater Phoenix area and have the will and the money to move forward, so why not? Their reticence to make any commitments is the "red flag" that has prevented most of us from taking their rhetoric seriously. Either move forward with your plan or find a way out of the AZ. marketplace now!

... "partner with another private entity or the State". I think you meant to say "and the State" not "or the State" mesa. At no time have I ever heard them mention, say, suggest, infer or allude to going at this 100% private. They desperately need the State & or a municipality to provide them with the right to establish special tax district status and funding not just for construction & infrastructure, but on an ongoing basis for years, decades to come. Thats the model. This isnt some some 100% private development whereby Barroway hooks up with a couple of major commercial & residential developers without any governmental support whatsoever.

... "so why not"?.... just how far along do you think Barroway should go to "show he's serious" about a new facility? We talking like buying land? Getting approvals for his plans from municipal, county & state authorities? Hire the contractors, lay the foundations, order the steel, whole 9 yards dealeo or what?... Why would he (or anyone) do that when without governmental largess or "partnerships" its just not, cant, wont happen? That really would be completely nuts. Drop all that money, he'd lose all of his leverage with the local muni, county & State, big hole in the ground, foundations in, and "youd better be approving this CFD proposal or I'm leaving"? ...oh how I would laaugh & laaaaugh & laaaaugh at so foolhardy and imprudent, goo goo gaa gaa crazy insane an eventuation however no, sadly.... thats just not something that... a bridge too far even the ever gushing... Andrew Livin the Dream Barroway to be crossing. That would be just nuts.... Total gas for you n' me, plenty of others... but no, not happenin. Pretty sure the targets of his lobbying efforts, certainly the public & fans take him & his threats quite seriously enough as it is without all a that wonderful drama & imagery....

Last edited:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

With accompanying article, Arizona Coyotes promote 'inclusivity' before President Trump rally in Phoenix

To quote:

"The Arizona Coyotes offered an apparent comment on President Donald Trump’s visit to Phoenix Tuesday.

Their Twitter post, made several hours before Trump spoke at a rally in downtown Phoenix, promoted "inclusivity" and linked the ideal to hockey.

The Coyotes' post was met with a mixture of appreciation and "stick to sports" from Coyotes followers.

None of Arizona's other pro sports teams commented on Trump's visit Tuesday."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...s-tweet-donald-trump-phoenix-rally/592469001/

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

Update: The Facebook feedback is awful (both video and audio), but CEO Steve Patterson was asked about the arena situation...he stated they are at the very beginning of that process...

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Update: The Facebook feedback is awful (both video and audio), but CEO Steve Patterson was asked about the arena situation...he stated they are at the very beginning of that process...

I did say not long ago that he acted like they were not in a hurry.... did I not??? :nod:

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016

Well if they can drag it out another 15 years then they will actually have a legitimate reason for a new arena:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad