Confirmed with Link: Phoenix Coyotes Sign David Schlemko to a 2 Year Contract Extension

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Last edited:

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Important cog in the system to keep.

I should add that I am always fascinated when signing an injured player to an extension. Is it because he was around and could negotiate or was it an incentive to rush a player back? Some players side with caution on contract years.

Last edited:

RABBIT

I should add that I am always fascinated when signing an injured player to an extension. Is it because he was around and could negotiate or was it an incentive to rush a player back? Some players side with caution on contract years.

Sarah McLellan speculates Maloney signed him to make him a more attractive trade chip. Makes sense, i think Maloney sees that offense is needed right now. Plus, Rundblad, Stone, and Summers have all looked good.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Another Excellent value signing by Maloney. Even though Schlemko is injured he looked very solid this season when he was healthy, I'm very excited by this signing.

RABBIT

With that said, i have to pat myself on the back here. I always knew he had it in him, even when everybody hated him and wanted him benched so Lepisto could play, i saw something in him....as evidence of my "David....Freaking....Schlemko" thread that i caught some heat for. :laugh:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
With that said, i have to pat myself on the back here. I always knew he had it in him, even when everybody hated him and wanted him benched so Lepisto could play, i saw something in him....as evidence of my "David....Freaking....Schlemko" thread that i caught some heat for. :laugh:

Schlemko has routinely met or exceeded expectations throughout his career. Very underrated player.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sarah McLellan speculates Maloney signed him to make him a more attractive trade chip. Makes sense, i think Maloney sees that offense is needed right now. Plus, Rundblad, Stone, and Summers have all looked good.

He's a chip but needs to play to get some real value.

Rundblad/Stone/Summers have all been tolerable at times. None have stolen a spot which is what we need at this point. Someone who's going to make a statement about being part of our long-term core. What we are getting are guys who are content with just fitting in. We need more. We expect more.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
^ I agree with this. Anyone know the timetable for Schlemkos return? We could sure use him right about now.

Last edited:

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008

I'm definitely interested in knowing why Schlem signed this now. Considering how he was playing last year and this year before his injuries I'd think he'd want to get back, show that level of play for the rest of the year and maybe get a little more than what this deal is worth. Maybe it's erring on the side of caution as you said, but I can't imagine he would have gotten much less even he got injured again. Regardless, I'm very happy to have him locked up for the next couple years on a contract I think is still great bang for buck on what he brings.

Really hope MacLellan is wrong with the speculation this may be to try and trade him. Not impressed with any of the young guys to where I'd say I'd want them over Schlem at this point. Maybe that happens down the road, but not yet.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm definitely interested in knowing why Schlem signed this now. Considering how he was playing last year and this year before his injuries I'd think he'd want to get back, show that level of play for the rest of the year and maybe get a little more than what this deal is worth. Maybe it's erring on the side of caution as you said, but I can't imagine he would have gotten much less even he got injured again. Regardless, I'm very happy to have him locked up for the next couple years on a contract I think is still great bang for buck on what he brings.

Really hope MacLellan is wrong with the speculation this may be to try and trade him. Not impressed with any of the young guys to where I'd say I'd want them over Schlem at this point. Maybe that happens down the road, but not yet.

Cap drops significantly next year and the danger is Schlemko wouldn't be anyone's first choice and nobody having cap room space to accommodate him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Timing is odd. I guess him being down with an injury and being so affordable makes it an easy signing. Have to get OEL done. I'd like to think that the league recognizes his value, relocation or not, to any potential owner.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Assuming its a 1-way deal, getting $1.2m/year guaranteed is a pretty good increase for Schlemko personally.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
He's been solid for us. He was playing very well before his injury last year and this year's injury. There are other defensemen I'd like to see us trade before him.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I didn't think they would sign anyone until they had OEL locked up due to the new salary cap. I like Flemko, but it's still an odd time to sign him.

Redcoyote

Hungry
Mar 21, 2009
I get the feeling more than anything else that this means Summers days may be numbered with OEL, Yandle, Gormley and Schlemko on the left and Michalek, Rundblad, and Stone on the right and Klesla playing either side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad