Phoenix Coyotes Lounge VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Anyone here check out prices on StubHub tickets frequently? I'm hoping to pick up a couple cheap tickets to next Saturday's game vs Ovi and the Caps. I think someone on this board mentioned picking up $5 tix on a gameday, but I don't know if that is typical (or if I'm misremembering).

If I'm honest though, I'd rather be unable to find cheap tickets because of the game selling out with 17,000+ in the seats.

I look rather often. It's about 50/50 but sometimes you can snag seats for $10 each or even sometimes less. It's usually a bit more likely to happen the day of the game, 3-4 hours before puck drop, when sometimes people who are unable to attend on short notice list their tickets for dirt cheap because something is better than nothing.

Like today I offered to bring my friend to the game and was checking StubHub at about 3:30 p.m. and found a single for her for $7.50 (but she ended up declining because she had to do other things).

Other times though, with no real discernable pattern, I never see anything under about $20.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
I look rather often. It's about 50/50 but sometimes you can snag seats for $10 each or even sometimes less. It's usually a bit more likely to happen the day of the game, 3-4 hours before puck drop, when sometimes people who are unable to attend on short notice list their tickets for dirt cheap because something is better than nothing.

Like today I offered to bring my friend to the game and was checking StubHub at about 3:30 p.m. and found a single for her for $7.50 (but she ended up declining because she had to do other things).

Other times though, with no real discernable pattern, I never see anything under about $20.
Thanks for the observations. That '3-4 hours before puck drop' situation is the one I'll be looking at. I've got a short 12-4pm shift at work on Saturdays, should be able to make the puck-drop. All things considered, I could see myself giving in to a ticket <$25.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona

Thanks for the observations. That '3-4 hours before puck drop' situation is the one I'll be looking at. I've got a short 12-4pm shift at work on Saturdays, should be able to make the puck-drop. All things considered, I could see myself giving in to a ticket <$25.
My shift at work tomorrow ends a couple hours earlier than normal, I should get be free around 6:15. So I went ahead and checked StubHub for tomorrow's [tonight's] Nashville game, picked up a row C upper bowl side ticket for $8.50. Throw in another $10 for parking, I'm alright with that.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I posted this in the Geek Emporium section. If anyone here wants to contribute id appreciate it.

Hello all.

Recently I have been thinking a lot. I want to switch my career path towards something revolving Photography and/or directing/filming/editing videos etc. I know, this is no easy task to start up in just like anything else. My reasoning behind this is that I have recently discovered that my love and true passion lies within these subjects. There is a problem though. Where do I start? I took two photography classes during high school as well as a digital arts class. Loved them both. My main issue is money. If I want to take college classes I will have to get student loans. Also, how will I pay for a decent camera/laptop and equipment? That is the only thing keeping me from doing what I want at the moment.. Does anyone work in this field and have any pointers on what I should do or where I should begin? I am really interested in this topic.

Even if you don't have any tips for me, feel free to discuss photography or video work. I'd love to discuss with some fellow HFers.

Mayo Taco Monday

Mar 5, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I posted this in the Geek Emporium section. If anyone here wants to contribute id appreciate it.

Hello all.

Recently I have been thinking a lot. I want to switch my career path towards something revolving Photography and/or directing/filming/editing videos etc. I know, this is no easy task to start up in just like anything else. My reasoning behind this is that I have recently discovered that my love and true passion lies within these subjects. There is a problem though. Where do I start? I took two photography classes during high school as well as a digital arts class. Loved them both. My main issue is money. If I want to take college classes I will have to get student loans. Also, how will I pay for a decent camera/laptop and equipment? That is the only thing keeping me from doing what I want at the moment.. Does anyone work in this field and have any pointers on what I should do or where I should begin? I am really interested in this topic.

Even if you don't have any tips for me, feel free to discuss photography or video work. I'd love to discuss with some fellow HFers.

Greetings! A photography proffesion is a wonderful thing and if I were more outgoing, I would likely be doing that myself.

RE: equipment, there are many excellent paths to get good equipment. First, look at entry level equipment. While it may not be as good as the high end stuff, your average client will not know the difference. Second, look at the secondary market. Most professionals will upgrade their equipment every few years and sell them on ebay or craigslist for significant discounts. This is a little riskier, because the equipment has already seen significant wear and tear, and you will have no idea what condition it will be in.

RE: education, I would recommend skipping the college route unless you are talking a quick refresher course. What I would recommend instead (and this is advice from a former photography professor of mine), is to go the apprentice route. You will get an even better training than if you went through school, plus you would avoid student loan debt (freeing money for purchasing equipment), and may get paid for your time depending on who you apprentice with. Plus you would be able to take jobs on the side as long as you weren't stealing them from your teacher. If you still decide to go the college route. I would recommend NAU, if they haven't gotten rid of their photography program yet. It is one of only 30 commercial photography programs in the country and would be better for training you for the professional route as opposed to a fine arts degree.

I hope this helps!

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

Hello all.

My sister was a school teacher, but once she had kids she stopped doing that and stayed at home with the kids, and does photography on the side. I can ask her about it and see what she comes back with.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I want to switch my career path towards something revolving Photography and/or directing/filming/editing videos etc.

Don't waste your money on school for something like this. Develop it as a hobby, save for equipment, intern / volunteer with talented people, become ridiculously good at it and hopefully you can get paid for it eventually.

Getting $ 100K in student loans to attend something like Full Sail would be just about the stupidest thing you could possibly do.

Vip

Jul 25, 2010
Thanks guys. From the responses I've got, everyone seems to agree that having a resume full of work I have done is a hell of a lot more important than a degree. Pretty sure I've made up my mind on that one

mitch27

Sep 6, 2009
Windsor, Ontario
I've recently started getting into photography. I'm in school for journalism and photojournalism was one of my first-year classes. I hated it because I didn't care about it. But this year I've discovered my love for it. There's something so peaceful about taking my camera and going out on a shoot. What do you shoot with, Vip?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Whatever you do just avoid getting into debt, it's not going to be worth it. It's sad that's come to this but anymore only a handful of degrees are worth the cost and photography is absolutely not one of them.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Coyotes fan on the Price is Right yesterday:

17vhio.jpg

The guy wearing the Coyotes shirt was a friend of the contestant.

Vip

Jul 25, 2010
Man that's such a damn shame...

Anyways, cool to see the coyotes shirt on TV.

BarkingMad

Once and Future King
Oct 31, 2013
Camelot
Whatever you do just avoid getting into debt, it's not going to be worth it. It's sad that's come to this but anymore only a handful of degrees are worth the cost and photography is absolutely not one of them.

Couldn't agree more seeing as I'm living that way of life right now. I'm really starting to think that spending 5k to do my masters was not the best idea :/

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Couldn't agree more seeing as I'm living that way of life right now. I'm really starting to think that spending 5k to do my masters was not the best idea :/
Which is too bad. You should never regret getting an advanced degree. Civilization happens because people are free to explore whatever and--just as importantly--talk with others about what they find. Universities have historically been really important in that regard. Now, it seems like it's easier than ever to get in, but it's also harder than ever to get out from underneath the financial burdens you acquire over the course of those four-plus years. Not good.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I get to sit in a suite on Tuesday night against Vancouver. Never sat in a suite before at the Job (also had never sat in the lower bowl before until last week).

What are they like? What should I expect? I don't know which suite it is, just that my carpool buddy got two free suite tickets for the game because she complained to customer service about something.

BarkingMad

Once and Future King
Oct 31, 2013
Camelot
Which is too bad. You should never regret getting an advanced degree. Civilization happens because people are free to explore whatever and--just as importantly--talk with others about what they find. Universities have historically been really important in that regard. Now, it seems like it's easier than ever to get in, but it's also harder than ever to get out from underneath the financial burdens you acquire over the course of those four-plus years. Not good.
Yer I think the problem lies not so much in my subject (which I love).
EDIT: a tad off topic!

Last edited:

Demosthenes

Speaker for the dead
Sep 29, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I get to sit in a suite on Tuesday night against Vancouver. Never sat in a suite before at the Job (also had never sat in the lower bowl before until last week).

What are they like? What should I expect? I don't know which suite it is, just that my carpool buddy got two free suite tickets for the game because she complained to customer service about something.

Comfy seats, no one behind you yelling stupid ****, no one jumping up in front of you to block your view. You get to pretend you are wealthy for a night. Pretty nice view.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Comfy seats, no one behind you yelling stupid ****, no one jumping up in front of you to block your view. You get to pretend you are wealthy for a night. Pretty nice view.

Is there any food/drink included or would I have to pay arena prices if I wanted anything? Main reason I ask is because if that's the case I'd rather eat at Chipotle before the game or something.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona

Talk about how much you love caviar, how you can't decide the color for your next Mercedes, and how you too have plans to buy your own NHL team soon.

Last edited:

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Is there any food/drink included or would I have to pay arena prices if I wanted anything? Main reason I ask is because if that's the case I'd rather eat at Chipotle before the game or something.

You'd have to hit the usual food and drink stands at the arena unless someone is catering the suite. I'd hit Chipotle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad