Phoenix Coyotes Lounge VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Titanfall uses the Source engine so I doubt it looks that great. If you think it does you must be a console gamer.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I've only seen it on the Xbox One and I think it looks freaking amazing. I've yet to see a console game that looks that good, especially while in motion. Maybe it doesn't look as good on PC? :dunno:

It's probably your first exposure to 60 fps gaming, which is why it looks 'smooth' in motion. The textures and all that are really low res, as well as the lighting being poor. It's running on an engine that is ten years old at this point, with some custom bits spliced in. It doesn't look very good on PC by PC standards. It looks okay by console standards.

ikGRUJJJAMeYS.gif

The Order 1886 trailer will be coming out tomorrow. Now that's a good looking game for consoles.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Titanfall uses the Source engine so I doubt it looks that great. If you think it does you must be a console gamer.

It's upgraded to the point where I think it's unfair to actually call it source engine without that caveat. Most engines are pretty scalable anyway.

Plus it's probably stuffed to the gills with middleware as most AAA games are these days.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
It's probably your first exposure to 60 fps gaming, which is why it looks 'smooth' in motion. The textures and all that are really low res, as well as the lighting being poor. It's running on an engine that is ten years old at this point, with some custom bits spliced in. It doesn't look very good on PC by PC standards. It looks okay by console standards.

ikGRUJJJAMeYS.gif

The Order 1886 trailer will be coming out tomorrow. Now that's a good looking game for consoles.

The Thompson ( or what I think is a Thompson) and the terrain reminds me Call of Duty. A add on/ spinoff of the PC game counter strike. It would be cool to see an updated version of that game but guess it has already been done with Medal of Honor.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Cool it on the name calling k thx :nod:

If it wasn't for the stupid Olimpicks, we'd be watching NHL hockey instead of reading people bickering about which video game is the besty-est one to come along since Pong...

I think the last video game I enjoyed playing was Mario Kart 64... :handclap:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
That's a bit of a misnomer, sure the Source engine came out a long time ago but I can all but guarantee the codebase as it stands now is all but unrecognizable.

Yes I am console gamer. It drives a few of my PC master race friends nuts because I built myself a computer a few years ago that was a gamers dream at the time as it would've ran pretty much anything on ultra settings yet I didn't play a single game on it. haha

It's upgraded to the point where I think it's unfair to actually call it source engine without that caveat. Most engines are pretty scalable anyway.

Plus it's probably stuffed to the gills with middleware as most AAA games are these days.
Most definitely, in fact a huge part of Source Engine 2 will be having all of that stuff wrapped into the core engine itself. That's not to say there won't be new features in Source 2, there certainly will, but it's going to be just more polish to an existing product, not a whole new original codebase. Granted I'm speculating here but having been in software development for well over a decade, I'd be very surprised if they literally decided to write a new engine from scratch!

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Odds are low that the Source engine now days resembles it's original incarnation by much. The codebase has almost certainly been extended beyond recognition, 10 years of development is A LOT! Anyway, I think it's just subjective at this point. If you don't think it looks good, that's fine but I think it looks really good. The clip you posted looks good too.

Graphics talk aside...I love yanking people out of their mechs! haha
ku-xlarge.gif

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why on earth would you say that?! It makes discussions, on a discussion board, very difficult to follow. People who reply to say a big picture and leave the picture as part of the quoted message or reply to a long post with just a few words while leaving the long post as a quote...I can understand those situations. But normally speaking, I don't see why you'd applaud random posting unless you somehow prefer disjointed conversation?

Instances in which I will fail to quote a post when replying in a threaded discussion:

1. I'm starting a completely new line of discussion within an existing thread
2. The post I'm responding to is directly prior to mine (I've gone back and edited posts because there was a new post made as I was composing mine, leaving my reply not relevant to the last post in the thread)
3. The post I'm responding to is just too damn long. (Sometimes I will quote just an ellipses)
4. I'm responding to a general line of thinking in the discussion, one expressed by several posters, and I don't feel the need to agree or disagree with one specific person but instead the general tone or topic of discussion

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Odds are low that the Source engine now days resembles it's original incarnation by much. The codebase has almost certainly been extended beyond recognition, 10 years of development is A LOT! Anyway, I think it's just subjective at this point. If you don't think it looks good, that's fine but I think it looks really good. The clip you posted looks good too.

Graphics talk aside...I love yanking people out of their mechs! haha
ku-xlarge.gif
Yeah. That part looked awesome!

rt

May 13, 2004
I wish my primroses would stay evergreen. These warm nights are TORCHING them. Ugh. I hit them with a spray bottle most three times a day.

That's right. Drunken grouch rt is an avid gardener.

Just lost my violas, too. Damn instant spring.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
I wish my primroses would stay evergreen. These warm nights are TORCHING them. Ugh. I hit them with a spray bottle most three times a day.

And I thought gardening in Flagstaff was rough. Had a lab instructor (NAU) who once said something like, "Phoenix is the opposite of sustainable. Like, it shouldn't even be there." Every summer I spend here seems to prove him right.

Ever keep any carnivorous plants? Pitcher plants and sundews are the weirdest, prettiest, nastiest flora I've ever seen. No idea how they would fare in a Valley summer.

Edit: and it is comforting to know that I am not the only Coyotes HF'er drinking through a Tuesday afternoon.

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yeah. That part looked awesome!
If you look closely you can see people running on the ground, that gives you an idea just how small you are compared to a mech. Needless to say getting caught out in the open by a mech is instant death. The worst is getting killed simply because they stepped on you. Luckily mechs are not that hard to kill if only because the second you hop in one you're now basically a giant target and will start getting attacked from all directions.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

For some reason I get a kick out of the knowledge that you're into flowers. It's been awhile since I've used my green thumb but I can tell you that primrose is an annual and while it sucks you're losing them this soon, under the best Phoenix conditions they wouldn't last much past March anyway. I know they don't look the same but if you want hardy annuals for "winter", stick to snap dragons, geraniums, petunias and alyssum. Of course even those will look like crap by about mid April. At that point it's time to rip them out (tip a 40) and plant some celosia, vinca and portulaca. Happy flowering rt! haha

MP

Feb 8, 2008
If you look closely you can see people running on the ground, that gives you an idea just how small you are compared to a mech. Needless to say getting caught out in the open by a mech is instant death. The worst is getting killed simply because they stepped on you. Luckily mechs are not that hard to kill if only because the second you hop in one you're now basically a giant target and will start getting attacked from all directions.
See, there's my problem with the game's premise, or the "lore," or whatever you like.

If a state agency, or a non-state actor, possessed the scientific and technical know-how to build these mechs... it seems like they would also be able to build ballistic and cruise missiles, and unmanned aerial platforms, that would render those mechs obsolete. I don't have to attack you; I just have to push a button, and life as you know it is over. It's like the Cold War, maybe even with a diminished likelihood of M.A.D., because my weapons presumably are equipped with a substantial AI commensurate with the advanced state of weapon- and propulsion systems.

Maybe I'm overthinking all of this and maybe I'm just talking out my ass--but it's a problem I've encountered often in other contexts: If X is possible, then why is Y necessary, and what is to prevent Z?...

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Maybe I'm overthinking all of this and maybe I'm just talking out my ass--but it's a problem I've encountered often in other contexts: If X is possible, then why is Y necessary, and what is to prevent Z?...
It's a multiplayer only FPS, you're definitely over thinking it.

Last edited:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
See, there's my problem with the game's premise, or the "lore," or whatever you like.

If a state agency, or a non-state actor, possessed the scientific and technical know-how to build these mechs... it seems like they would also be able to build ballistic and cruise missiles, and unmanned aerial platforms, that would render those mechs obsolete. I don't have to attack you; I just have to push a button, and life as you know it is over. It's like the Cold War, maybe even with a diminished likelihood of M.A.D., because my weapons presumably are equipped with a substantial AI commensurate with the advanced state of weapon- and propulsion systems.

I'm sorry but since when are sci-fi video games ( or 90% of other video games) in any way plausible?

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Doughty has one good game in the Olympics and people are suggesting he should have been drafted over Steven Stamkos. HFboards never ceases to amaze.

rt

May 13, 2004
For some reason I get a kick out of the knowledge that you're into flowers. It's been awhile since I've used my green thumb but I can tell you that primrose is an annual and while it sucks you're losing them this soon, under the best Phoenix conditions they wouldn't last much past March anyway. I know they don't look the same but if you want hardy annuals for "winter", stick to snap dragons, geraniums, petunias and alyssum. Of course even those will look like crap by about mid April. At that point it's time to rip them out (tip a 40) and plant some celosia, vinca and portulaca. Happy flowering rt! haha

My angelonias or "summer snap dragons" lasted all through winter, maintaining blooms. They're ready for summer. I ended up replacing the violas with petunias and alyssum. I figure when they burn up it will be vinca time. They when they get craggy and brown, it'll be viola time again.

I've had fantastic results with blue daze evolvus in partial shade, bright shade, and full shade for all twelve months of the year. Blooming on and off the whole time.

My primrose are inside. On my kitchen window. Still too warm. Haha.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
http://www.azcentral.com/community/...-accusations-report-tempe.html?nclick_check=1

By D.S. Woodfill

The Arizona Republic-12 News Breaking News Team

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:39 PM

A woman claims she saw retired NFL player Darren Sharper having sex with an unconscious woman in her Tempe apartment after he slipped her and two other women a date-**** drug, according to police.

The witness statement was just one of several new details in an investigative report released Tuesday by Tempe police.

Sharper — a former Pro Bowl safety who played 14 seasons with the New Orleans Saints, Minnesota Vikings and Green Bay Packers — is accused of a series of sexual assaults in several states. Los Angeles County prosecutors on Friday charged him in a similar case, and he’s being investigated for alleged sexual assaults in Nevada and Louisiana.

Det. Mike Pooley said Tempe police don't yet have a time frame for when they will refer the case to prosecutors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad