Phoenix Coyotes Lounge VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
I never played Minecraft and have not played Starbound either. Granted I never play indie games period, not as a rule or anything I just haven't found myself game starved enough to explore indie games yet. I can barely keep up with the big titles.

I did get my Titanfall beta code today so I know what I'll be doing this weekend!
I didn't know Starbound qualified as "indie" when I got it off Steam. It's funny, because I never thought of myself as an indie guy either.

What's Titanfall like? The production values seem to be sky-high, but the gameplay looks basically like a FPS on steroids. I tend to prefer RPG-style character creation, advancement, etc.--I can't really get invested in a game anymore unless I have some say over how my character looks and so on--always wondered whether that was a sign of latent narcissism--but at any rate, I'm curious to know how you like it.

ALA YotesPhan

Jul 2, 2002
Nothern Alabama
Visit site
Wow, somebody on this board cares about Space Station flyovers. I've spent far too much time and travel trying to get the best photo of it.

152939477.3qsoAPAk.IMG_7816_crop1.jpg

And more here:

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/satellites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P63tbnzYVeQ

I now work with one of the Design Engineers of the windows in the Cupola module here in Huntsville Alabama

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I didn't know Starbound qualified as "indie" when I got it off Steam. It's funny, because I never thought of myself as an indie guy either.

What's Titanfall like? The production values seem to be sky-high, but the gameplay looks basically like a FPS on steroids. I tend to prefer RPG-style character creation, advancement, etc.--I can't really get invested in a game anymore unless I have some say over how my character looks and so on--always wondered whether that was a sign of latent narcissism--but at any rate, I'm curious to know how you like it.
The production value of Titanfall thus far (it's a very limited beta) is as you expected. The game is pure eye candy, I still can't believe how damn good it looks and runs. It's smooth as silk and is the first game I've seen that actually looks "next gen". As for it being a FPS on steroids, I would say that's probably accurate except I wouldn't minimize just how well it's executed. The jet pack and parkour like movement adds a lot of depth to the game just by itself then of course you have the actual Titans themselves which are a blast but not overpowering. Again the beta is very limited but my initial impression is very positive. At the very least this game finally announces the arrival of next gen (at least on consoles)! I've had an Xbox Day One edition since launch day that has sat in my office unopened until this weekend when Titanfall finally tempted me to open it and I have to say it was worthwhile. I will definitely be buying the full version next month!

The only RPG elements that I've seen in the game are along the lines of weapon, soldier and titan upgrades (there are a lot!!!). I don't know if you can change their actual look or not, the beta is very limited. Regardless though I feel confident in saying you won't find much traditional RPG action here (your character doesn't have a "constitution" or "intelligence" perk haha), certainly not in the depth of something like Fallout, Mass Effect or Dark Souls. btw...I'm with you on RPG's and think they're awesome but I think you do yourself a disservice if you primarily limit yourself to one genre.

Random side note, I feel stupid for my blase attitude towards my Xbox One the past few months. After finally hooking it all up I have to say it's actually pretty damn slick. The multi-tasking UI actually works much to my surprise. My favorite thing to do so far is queue up a game, switch to the the TV ("Xbox, watch TV") and watch TV until the game literally starts. At that point a message pops up alerting me of the fact, then I say "Xbox pause", "Xbox join game" and then I play a round of Titanfall. When it's over..."Xbox watch tv", where what I was watching is still paused and I pick up right where I left off. I also did it with Netflix as well. Even more impressive, it controls my DirecTV, my AVR and my TV! I just did not think it'd work as advertised but I'm happy to say I was wrong!

Last edited:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Titanfall looks interesting but I'm not sure how different the fast-paced gameplay mechanics are to Tribes.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Titanfall looks interesting but I'm not sure how different the fast-paced gameplay mechanics are to Tribes.
I've heard this comparison before and I can only assume it's because both have jet packs but to answer your question the gameplay is much different and the overall feel will not even be in the same ballpark. The best comparison I've heard is Halo meets Battlefield meets Mirror's Edge with giant mechs. That still sells it short though as it's very much it's own game. I now fully understand why it broke that record for awards at E3 winning every category in which it was nominated (Best in Show, Best Original Game, Best Console Game, Best PC Game, Best Action Game and Best Online Multiplayer).

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The best comparison I've heard is Halo meets Battlefield meets Mirror's Edge with giant mechs

Haha. No. It's more like CoD (not the good ones, like 4) with driveable killstreaks. It's not even slightly innovative, and winning the 'best at E3' awards is a function of hype, not substance. To compare it to an all-time great arena game like Tribes is a joke. It also has nothing in common with Battlefield beyond being a shooter.

Have been playing with beta with friends and some HF posters. It's totally forgettable. Fun for the first little while, but then the newness factor goes away, and you're left with pretty uninspiring stuff.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Haha. No. It's more like CoD (not the good ones, like 4) with driveable killstreaks. It's not even slightly innovative, and winning the 'best at E3' awards is a function of hype, not substance. To compare it to an all-time great arena game like Tribes is a joke. It also has nothing in common with Battlefield beyond being a shooter.

Have been playing with beta with friends and some HF posters. It's totally forgettable. Fun for the first little while, but then the newness factor goes away, and you're left with pretty uninspiring stuff.

sigh...oh XX, everything looks like a pissing match to you doesn't it? You can't just simply give your opinion, you have to make sure there is always plenty of snark. Anyway, I guess I'll play along and refute your opinion (which as usual you presented as if it were fact)...

- You know what doesn't have jet packs, invisible cloaks, regenerating armor, SciFi themes, etc...Call of Duty. You know what does, Halo.

- Right...it broke the record by being the first to win 6 critic categories (not fanboy votes) at E3 because it's "not even slightly innovative". That's definitely more likely than you just having an outlier opinion. :sarcasm:

- I didn't compare it to Tribes but I don't think someone doing so is being ridiculous as you insinuate.

- It has the same exact controls and a near identical level-up system as BF. Sure it's not large scale warfare (a part I know you love to ***** about) but that doesn't mean it has "nothing in common" with Battlefield and this is coming from someone who has been playing Battlefield 4 pretty much non-stop since October.

- You hated it before the beta even came out. You were *****ing and crying about how it's only 6v6, it's meant for console gamers not PC master race, isn't twitch enough, blah, blah, blah. all before you even played it.

Last edited:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
if It's just COD but with mechs and faster I'll just pass.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Is it just me or does COD and Battlefield have the most extreme fanboys to where it's tough to know which one is better or worse than the other?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
The COD and Battlefield franchises are ridiculously stagnant. Those games have experienced little to no innovation since like 2009, and I'm not usually one to actively go out of my way to whine about something like that

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Is it just me or does COD and Battlefield have the most extreme fanboys to where it's tough to know which one is better or worse than the other?
All successful games have extreme fanboys. Just be on the lookout for fanboy speak and ignore those people.

Fanboy styles...
polarizing opinion - Call of Duty is one of the worst/most boring/dumbed down/etc shooters of all time
negativity - I'd rather play russian roulette than Halo. It's a disgrace you'd even bring up such a game.
oversimplification - FPS's suck, all you do is point a cursor at something and press a button, how does anyone enjoy this?!?!
All 3...no one plays Dark Souls, it's for simpletons who want to swing sword, block, swing sword, block, etc. just pure uninspired rinse and repeat crap!

On a positive gaming note...here are the games I'm looking forward to in the next month....

Dark Souls 2
Titanfall
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Thief

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
- You know what doesn't have jet packs, invisible cloaks, regenerating armor, SciFi themes, etc...Call of Duty. You know what does, Halo.

This guy. You must be forgetting Black Ops. Comparing it to Halo is absurd, and I'm not even a Halo fan. You realize how funny it is that you are saying "You guys, I swear! It's not Call of Duty!" when it's made by the same crew that gave us COD4 and MW2, right?

- Right...it broke the record by being the first to win 6 critic categories (not fanboy votes) at E3 because it's "not even slightly innovative". That's definitely more likely than you just having an outlier opinion. :sarcasm:

You have no problem tossing around comparisons. You were able to sum up the game by comparing it to a few titles. Clearly it's borrowing from those games. Titans are nothing new, see Hawken or pretty much any mech game. Wallrunning and verticality isn't new, see any game that places emphasis on speed like Quake, UT, or Tribes. AI creeps are nothing new, see every MOBA ever made.

It's not revolutionary or innovative. I'm hardly alone in thinking that.

- It has the same exact controls and a near identical level-up system as BF. Sure it's not large scale warfare (a part I know you love to ***** about) but that doesn't mean it has "nothing in common" with Battlefield and this is coming from someone who has been playing Battlefield 4 pretty much non-stop since October.

The main difference between CoD and BF, besides the classes (which you conveniently overlooked), is the scale. What exactly do you think it borrows from Battlefield? Unless you want to say that it borrows heavily from 2142, then you'd be right. It's funny that you swear up and down that my opinion is wrong then fail to provide a single reason. This is basic stuff man. You also want to have your cake and eat it too, by saying that it "has the exact same system as [insert game here]" yet want to call it innovative or revolutionary. Put down the marketing kool aid and look at it for what it is.

It's the perfect game for the dudebro crowd. I'll give them that much. Should sell a ton.

- You hated it before the beta even came out. You were *****ing and crying about how it's only 6v6, it's meant for console gamers not PC master race, isn't twitch enough, blah, blah, blah. all before you even played it.

<mod>Do you dislike a particular genre of music or movies? It's the same thing. I don't need to play every CoD to know that I probably won't like small 6v6 arena shooters made by the guys who started Call of Duty. It's not rocket science. Pretty much everything I thought wouldn't appeal to me has been correct since playing the beta. Okay, the AI is kind of fun, but not because they are smart or add a lot to the game. The game isn't twitch at all, and the fact that it started life off as a 360 title is pretty evident. Sorry I don't like it, I guess?

At the end of the day you're just upset that I don't like your favorite thing. My criticism falls in line with my personal preferences, which are just that - personal. You have your own and you are welcome to them. It's still funny to see the logical backflips necessary to downplay how similar it is to Call of Duty, though. As if the gunplay isn't copy and paste, and FROM THE MAKERS OF CALL OF DUTY isn't one of the advertising leads.

The beta is open now Andrew, so try it for yourself. No need to read two people rant about it when you can get your own impression.

The COD and Battlefield franchises are ridiculously stagnant. Those games have experienced little to no innovation since like 2009, and I'm not usually one to actively go out of my way to whine about something like that

They are chasing each other in circles. CoD jumps around from studio to studio and uses the same formula. Battlefield keeps trying to add in as much COD as possible without totally losing itself. I was hoping Titanfall would be something different but it's not. It's fun, but once the newness wears off you're left with a CoD style arena shooter. Not terribly appealing to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
This guy. You must be forgetting Black Ops. Comparing it to Halo is absurd, and I'm not even a Halo fan. You realize how funny it is that you are saying "You guys, I swear! It's not Call of Duty!" when it's made by the same crew that gave us COD4 and MW2, right?
The world of Titanfall is far more Halo like than CoD. I think you know the difference between modern military themes and science fiction, you're just being obstinate.

You point out that the same crew that gave us COD4 gave us Titanfall but you also said...
It's more like CoD (not the good ones, like 4)
SO which is it, did they bring us COD4 or not? Again, you just like being obstinate.

You have no problem tossing around comparisons. You were able to sum up the game by comparing it to a few titles. Clearly it's borrowing from those games. Titans are nothing new, see Hawken or pretty much any mech game. Wallrunning and verticality isn't new, see any game that places emphasis on speed like Quake, UT, or Tribes. AI creeps are nothing new, see every MOBA ever made.
Why would I have a problem giving comparisons when someone asked for them? :dunno:

It's not revolutionary or innovative. I'm hardly alone in thinking that.
You can find a forum thread supporting just about any stance you take on any subject ever. I don't know why you'd even go there.

btw...you apparently need reminded that your original statement was "not even slightly innovative". No one here said it was revolutionary, hell only a handful of games in history are revolutionary but your assertion that it's not even slightly innovative is just ridiculous. Well unless you don't know what not even slightly means.

The main difference between CoD and BF, besides the classes (which you conveniently overlooked), is the scale. What exactly do you think it borrows from Battlefield? Unless you want to say that it borrows heavily from 2142, then you'd be right. It's funny that you swear up and down that my opinion is wrong then fail to provide a single reason. This is basic stuff man. You also want to have your cake and eat it too, by saying that it "has the exact same system as [insert game here]" yet want to call it innovative or revolutionary. Put down the marketing kool aid and look at it for what it is.
There you go again, making stuff up so you can then refute it. I already told you some things I thought it had in common with BF and I didn't say a word about that making it innovative and I definitely didn't say it was revolutionary. Why do you do this? Seriously, it's like you live for arguing!

It's the perfect game for the dudebro crowd. I'll give them that much. Should sell a ton.
There's that snark again! lol...whatever makes you feel superior. :handclap:

Do you dislike a particular genre of music or movies? It's the same thing. I don't need to play every CoD to know that I probably won't like small 6v6 arena shooters made by the guys who started Call of Duty. It's not rocket science. Pretty much everything I thought wouldn't appeal to me has been correct since playing the beta. Okay, the AI is kind of fun, but not because they are smart or add a lot to the game. The game isn't twitch at all, and the fact that it started life off as a 360 title is pretty evident. Sorry I don't like it, I guess?
Right...so why can't you simply say that instead of turning up the attitude to 11?!

"I was looking forward to Titanfall but 6v6 is just not my thing. The bots are fun to pick off but it's just not challenging enough for me.
I want more twitch based gaming and bigger maps, unfortunately Titanfall doesn't offer that."

Now see how easy that was? No snark, no belittling and just a stating of your opinion. That's how good discussions happen but instead you seem more concerned with starting flame wars.

At the end of the day you're just upset that I don't like your favorite thing. My criticism falls in line with my personal preferences, which are just that - personal. You have your own and you are welcome to them. It's still funny to see the logical backflips necessary to downplay how similar it is to Call of Duty, though. As if the gunplay isn't copy and paste, and FROM THE MAKERS OF CALL OF DUTY isn't one of the advertising leads.
Oh geez, like Titanfall is "my favorite thing". Hell it's not even most my anticipated game coming out in March (that'd be Dark Souls 2). I just think the beta was cool, the game was slick and it gives me high hopes the full version will be fun. As for some of Call of Duty team being part of the making of Titanfall, I'm not sure why you seem to think this makes the game just Call of Duty with mechs. Do you also think Titanic and The Abyss are the same since they both take place in water and were done by James Cameron?

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Cool it on the name calling k thx :nod:
Ah man but I had some good comebacks!! haha

Oh well, to bring this back down to pre-XX levels, I just think the Titanfall beta is pretty cool and while they kept it very limited (only 2 maps, can't level up much at all, etc.), it gives indications that the full package should deliver. It's not the end all be all but it's nice respite from the modern day military themes and is the first console game that actually feels next gen. There's a lot of hype no doubt but I think it'll live up to it, well unless you were apparently expecting it to be revolutionary. Anyway, I expect it'll be the shooter of choice for most people, at least for the foreseeable future.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You can find a forum thread supporting just about any stance you take on any subject ever. I don't know why you'd even go there.

You can find fellow HF posters that don't like it if you want. These are just pointless tradeshow awards, not something on par with the Oscars. Not a very good way to hand-waive away criticism. I'll give Respawn credit for making a good package, but I'm not about to agree that the package is unique or innovative.

oh XX, everything looks like a pissing match to you doesn't it?
There's that snark again! lol...whatever makes you feel superior. :handclap:
Right...so why can't you simply say that instead of turning up the attitude to 11?!
Oh well, to bring this back down to pre-XX levels,

I think you need to realize that you tend to have an allergic reaction to what is very clearly my opinion. By immediately making this about me and not the topic you help derail the thread. I'll go twenty rounds with anybody if the subject calls for it. I also don't have any problem with people posting at me, as my opinions tend to be divisive. But there's no need to strawman my posts beyond recognition just to go after me. There's no chance at good discussion at that point. It's ultimately fanboy nonsense, from both sides. We're both better than that, and this sort of bickering isn't really worthy of the Coyotes board.

Given the games you are looking forward to, we really aren't all that different.

... the first console game that actually feels next gen...

It started life as a 360 title, and looks like ass, especially compared against the competition. Doesn't 'feel' next gen at all, to me, personally.

There's a lot of hype no doubt but I think it'll live up to it, well unless you were apparently expecting it to be revolutionary. Anyway, I expect it'll be the shooter of choice for most people, at least for the foreseeable future.

The best part about this thread is that I'm considering buying it with some codes for discounts I was given. There's nothing on the horizon shooter wise, except Battlefront which will probably be a mess. I don't think the game is anything more than some quickly consumed junkfood, but if you play it with the right people it's pretty good. So... every console shooter, ever. ;)

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
You can find fellow HF posters that don't like it if you want. These are just pointless tradeshow awards, not something on par with the Oscars. Not a very good way to hand-waive away criticism. I'll give Respawn credit for making a good package, but I'm not about to agree that the package is unique or innovative.
It doesn't matter where they come from, my point was there is a forum thread that will support any view. Obviously there are umpteen threads of people talking about how awesome the game is but I figure there is no point posting them, it doesn't really proven anything.

It depends on what you consider unique. Personally I've never played a game that combines all of the elements that Titanfall does. Sure I've played games that have similar components but never have I seen them all mixed together in what so far (it just a beta at this point) is a supremely polished product.

I think you need to realize that you tend to have an allergic reaction to what is very clearly my opinion. By immediately making this about me and not the topic you help derail the thread. I'll go twenty rounds with anybody if the subject calls for it. I also don't have any problem with people posting at me, as my opinions tend to be divisive. But there's no need to strawman my posts beyond recognition just to go after me. There's no chance at good discussion at that point.
Good or bad I admittedly have a tendency to force equilibrium.

It's ultimately fanboy nonsense, from both sides. We're both better than that, and this sort of bickering isn't really worthy of the Coyotes board.
Agreed.

It started life as a 360 title, and looks like ass, especially compared against the competition. Doesn't 'feel' next gen at all, to me, personally.
I've only seen it on the Xbox One and I think it looks freaking amazing. I've yet to see a console game that looks that good, especially while in motion. Maybe it doesn't look as good on PC? :dunno:

The best part about this thread is that I'm considering buying it with some codes for discounts I was given. There's nothing on the horizon shooter wise, except Battlefront which will probably be a mess. I don't think the game is anything more than some quickly consumed junkfood, but if you play it with the right people it's pretty good. So... every console shooter, ever. ;)
Well on this we agree, I don't see anything else that will beat it and I'm ready for a change from the modern (present day) military themes. Yeah it is junk food but I think all first person shooters are junk food. I don't know much about Battlefront but I've heard people say it'll be Battlefield 4 converted to the Star Wars world. I am unashamed to say I'd be down for that!! Sure my MTAR-21 might just be simply reskinned into a blaster but I'm a sucker, I'll still go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad