OT: Phoenix Coyotes Lounge IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Polakis

Eternal Optimist
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Reffed an adult league game tonight for the first time at Arcadia.

Was refreshing to not spend the entire game getting yelled at by youth coaches.

Earlier week, one of my favorite refs at Castle (age early 20's) told me how much he prefers reffing our 35+ league to younger leagues. It's not coaches who are yelling at him. If you don't mind working for scale, I think Castle is still short on refs for their many roller leagues.

Tom Polakis

Eternal Optimist
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Views of Cactus League Stadiums

I know that hockey and baseball are near opposites, but they are my two favorite sports. In early February, my wife came up with the idea of trying to see all 15 Cactus League games in all 10 Valley stadiums. As long as you don't pay too close attention to the game, it's fun, and every place is different.

I'm 6 games in, and have brought my camera and fisheye lens to every game. The stadium photos are at this site, mostly panoramas and fisheye shots.

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/cactus_league_stadiums

Here are a few samples. Panos are at the PBase site.

Salt River Fields (D-Backs, Rockies)

148924013.mmkYkjvd.IMG_4689.jpg

Hohokam Stadium (Cubs)

149043079.r9AuL8qq.IMG_4778.jpg

Maryvale Baseball Park (Brewers)

149106980.HuBHqEgJ.IMG_4848.jpg

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Just bought a house with 5 acres. We move tomorrow. Who wants to come north and give me a hand? Free beer and pizza!!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm 6 games in, and have brought my camera and fisheye lens to every game. The stadium photos are at this site, mostly panoramas and fisheye shots.

Maryvale Baseball Park (Brewers)

Cool, though Maryvale Park blows.

I really like Surprise, Peoria, and Tempe. Haven't been to Salt River yet.

Tom Polakis

Eternal Optimist
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Cool, though Maryvale Park blows.

I really like Surprise, Peoria, and Tempe. Haven't been to Salt River yet.

I rank Maryvale Park second to last of the six so far. Maybe I was influenced by the Texas vs. KC teams that I don't care about, but of the six, that park in Surprise was the worst, and with the smallest crowd. Maryvale Park actually has a permanent "Home" and "Guest" on the scoreboard, like it's little league or something. But it is the Brewers, and they have one of the best logos and color schemes in sports. Probably the drunkest fans, too.

Salt River Fields is the most deluxe facility, and even sports a respectable Jumbotron with good statistical information about the batter and pitcher.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
I am hoping to never see this name in the ownership thread again and you may disagree with the political stance but its still awesome to see someone call them out.

Report criticizes Phoenix-based Goldwater Institute

The Goldwater Institute waves the banner of freedom but uses its financial and philosophical influence to advance an agenda that promotes corporations over people, a report by two liberal groups concludes.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/polit...icizes-phoenix-based-goldwater-institute.html

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
ALEC is bad news. It's basically a giant front for lobbyists. It was intended to help corporations work more closely with legislators to develop effective legislation (haha) but it's now something much worse. The main thing here is that ALEC members are beholden to the corporate interests of others. To me, this would only further the angle that the Diamondbacks encouraged the GWI to get rid of the Coyotes while not giving two ***** about all the spring training money being thrown around by cities. PBS called AZ "ALEC's headquarters" because of Kyl, McCain and AZ legislators tendency to do whatever ALEC wants. SB1070 wasn't really about immigration. It was more about lining the pockets of private prison corporations. Every conservative loophole and terrible law you can think of comes from ALEC templates, often word for word. The dirty secret here is that ALEC (and its corporate handlers) don't bother with contentious, national legislation. They go after the states, where there's much less resistance.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Can someone tell me what happened to Teppo Numminen? Like why he left us and went to Buffalo right? I kinda became a fan after that happened. I've just been wondering.

Edit: After a quick google search, he was traded to Dallas and then signed with Buf. What was everyones thoughts on him being traded at the time? For those of you that were following back then.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Can someone tell me what happened to Teppo Numminen? Like why he left us and went to Buffalo right? I kinda became a fan after that happened. I've just been wondering.

Edit: After a quick google search, he was traded to Dallas and then signed with Buf. What was everyones thoughts on him being traded at the time? For those of you that were following back then.

If I recall correctly, and i could be wrong because I was only 10 and had lost interest in the Coyotes a year or two earlier after they traded away most of our good players, (Keith Tkachuk, Nikolai Khabibulin, Dallas Drake, Danny Briere etc.) Teppo was traded, because our incompetant management at the time, noticed we were in glaring need of a center that had a strong faceoff ability. Therefore they traded one of the biggest faces that has ever played for the franchise, for a journeyman center that played one season for us, who had already been traded like 7 or 8 times before that.

The part that is incomprehensible to me, is why you would trade a character player and borderline hall of famer that's played 15 years for your franchise for a 3rd. line grinder. The biggest reason though was to improve our faceoff numbers if i remember. If my info isn't right (which it might not be), feel free to correct me guys.

Last edited:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Bringing the talk about college degree and schools over to here.

I'll just mention something that I have said a million times before. I don't care what degree someone gets or how much of a job demand their is for their field of study. If someone doesn't have any actual work experence, having a piece of paper and knowing someone will get your foot in the door. However, unless those same people know people at the top that are willing to put up with your inability to perform the job right, then those same people who got a piece of paper and know someone from within an establishment won't last long.

With that being said, a degree of any kind is only as useful or useless as the person who knows how to apply the degree right or not. I have seen people who get degrees in field where there is a high demand for work but can't get ****. I have seen people who got degrees where their isn't **** for work in their field unless they get a gradualte level degree and yet are doing very well because they know how to sell themselves well with the help of the degree and learn new skills along the way.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
If I recall correctly, and i could be wrong because I was only 10 and had lost interest in the Coyotes a year or two earlier after they traded away most of our good players, (Keith Tkachuk, Nikolai Khabibulin, Dallas Drake, Danny Briere etc.) Teppo was traded, because our incompetant management at the time, noticed we were in glaring need of a center that had a strong faceoff ability. Therefore they traded one of the biggest faces that has ever played for the franchise, for a journeyman center that played one season for us, who had already been traded like 7 or 8 times before that.

The part that is incomprehensible to me, is why you would trade a character player and borderline hall of famer that's played 15 years for your franchise for a 3rd. line grinder. The biggest reason though was to improve our faceoff numbers if i remember. If my info isn't right (which it might not be), feel free to correct me guys.

That is seriously such a bummer.

A few years ago when he was still playing for Buf they were at Peoria Polar Ice practicing before they played us later that night. I was there and wish I would've gotten a picture with him at least. Seemed like a really nice guy.

A little off topic but Ryan Miller was also a really nice guy in person.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Oh snap, I missed out on a "useless degree/higher ed is a racket" discussion. Quickly: plenty degrees are useless; I have one; but "useless" is not the same as "worthless"; and anyone who's ever had to buy textbooks can tell you it is such a ****** racket that you wonder how it is that nobody's gone to jail for it.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Oh snap, I missed out on a "useless degree/higher ed is a racket" discussion. Quickly: plenty degrees are useless; I have one; but "useless" is not the same as "worthless"; and anyone who's ever had to buy textbooks can tell you it is such a ****** racket that you wonder how it is that nobody's gone to jail for it.

Exactly. Had to buy a "new" textbook for my daughter. What has changed in an introductory physics course from the last 30-40 years? The speed of light has changed? I could see an upper level course may incorporate newly discovered findings but I doubt that "new" books are required for intro courses.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Amazon has cut deep into the racket. I was able to 'rent' digital copies of my ASU textbooks this semester at about 1/5th the price efollet wanted. Fully searchable, high quality pdfs. More convenient than a physical copy, and it's cheaper? yes, please.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Amazon has cut deep into the racket. I was able to 'rent' digital copies of my ASU textbooks this semester at about 1/5th the price efollet wanted. Fully searchable, high quality pdfs. More convenient than a physical copy, and it's cheaper? yes, please.
I would've given anything to be able to have a fully searchable text book. I hope you understand how lucky you are to be able to do that!

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!

No thanks. I'd much rather be physically touching the book. I have 3 classes to go and wouldn't want it any other way.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
No thanks. I'd much rather be physically touching the book. I have 3 classes to go and wouldn't want it any other way.

I'm the opposite. When I was in college I managed to get ahold of electronic copies of all my books except one class. Got annoyed at the one physical book I had to carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->