Phoenix CIX: C IX Run, Run IX Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009

3 years at talking sticks with the Suns having them by the balls when it comes to negociating the lease, even with a 10% bump in attendance they would lose more money than ever

The stubbornness and loyalty of this ownership group to stay in the Valley is one of either pure financial heroism or blind stupidity

I'm going with the last one :laugh:

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012

Six current NHL arenas have been assisted by Ziets, and it appears a seventh in Arizona is on its way.

Those six arenas are: Honda Center, BB&T Center, Staples Center, Bridgestone Arena, Consol Energy Center, and Prudential Center. Four of those buildings were built in the 90's. I can't find his employment history from that time period, but he did start his own company in 2001, MZ Sports (yes, he used his initials). In 2009, he folded that company and went to Create Artists Agency. Then in 2011, he again started a new company, Tipping Point Sports. I'm not having a lot of luck finding out exactly what he did for the two most recent arenas, in New Jersey and Pittsburgh. For the earlier four, I figure he probably wasn't the main guy. Maybe all he did was make a couple Power Point slides like he did for the Panthers. :sarcasm:

http://www.broward.org/Arena/Documents/SFLSportsPresentation2014.pdf

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
As much as I would like to believe these are real developments, I can't.

Given that there are no comments from any Host city/tribe, and given the current lease situation, I can't help but see this as spin.

It seems more and more likely to me that we are going to see one more negotiation between CoG and IA, and that will be over how to break the lease and avoid playing in Glendale next year.

City relocation coming this summer?

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Shannon said:
Suffice it to say — barring any last-minute philosophical changes by local government in Glendale — that the 2016-17 season could be the final year of hockey at Gila River Arena.

so he's saying they will play one more year there as a tenant?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
So some are suggesting that there is a potential 'fourth location'?

Pretty much confirms the situation is really that bad.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I would never fault fans for being not loyal enough either, K. They're there purely for pleasure and entertainment - it's not their job to attend.

It's the work of ownership and management to make the product so irresistibly attractive that fans will want to attend. If the fans aren't coming it's not the fault of the fans who are there or those who aren't -- it's the failure of those who run the franchise.

If you're writing a novel your most important task is to make what you're writing so riveting that the reader will read the next page. No one can blame a reader not reading a dull book.

If you're a lawyer your job is to make what you're saying or writing so understandable and compelling the the listener or reader can't fail to pay attention. If you lose their interest, that's your fault, not theirs.

I would never blame fans, even those who stay home, for the failings of a franchise, and especially fans in Glendale, Arizona, which has given so much to this franchise and to the NHL.

Oh, I would and do blame them - not entirely, but they shoulder plenty of the blame.

The game itself comes first.

Owners aren't writing a novel, that can have a predetermined outcome. That very fact is what makes sports so great.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

Given that there are no comments from any Host city/tribe, and given the current lease situation, I can't help but see this as spin.

It seems more and more likely to me that we are going to see one more negotiation between CoG and IA, and that will be over how to break the lease and avoid playing in Glendale next year.

I do believe that LeBluster will make some announcement that they have 'talked' with Glendale...but nothing really will come of it...

December's announcement of the arena manager bidders will be interesting...

IceArizona, the Spin Doctors are in...in denial...

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't want to be provocative, but is there any chance the Coyotes won't be leaving if not at the end of this season then sometime soon?

I'm not paying close attention, but what I'm seeing is no arena deal in place at Glendale or elsewhere for next year, fiddling around with the Vegas ans QC expansion applications, and what looks like a smokescreen from the Clowns trying to veil their pending exit from the Phoenix marketplace.

Am I too cynical or naive?

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
I don't want to be provocative, but is there any chance the Coyotes won't be leaving if not at the end of this season then sometime soon?

I'm not paying close attention, but what I'm seeing is no arena deal in place at Glendale or elsewhere for next year, fiddling around with the Vegas ans QC expansion applications, and what looks like a smokescreen from the Clowns trying to veil their pending exit from the Phoenix marketplace.

Am I too cynical or naive?

There are several here who think the Coyotes leaving at the end of this season is a real possibility, and I agree. The current deal with Glendale, where they are tenants for two years but only the manager for one, doesn't make a lot of sense. It seems like the second year on the deal is a smokescreen so there isn't a lame duck year and attendance doesn't crater. I would think getting out of the deal with Glendale wouldn't be very expensive. Their annual rent is $500K, and I can't imagine breaking the lease would be much more than that.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I will be shocked if the team is playing anywhere other than GRA in five years time, although ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED if AVMC is somehow utilized instead.

That is of course..... if they are still in the valley.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I will be shocked if the team is playing anywhere other than GRA in five years time, although ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED if AVMC is somehow utilized instead.

That is of course..... if they are still in the valley.

KIhekah,

Not sure what you mean here.....

If you mean..... Assume they are still in the Valley. In 5 years they will still be at GRA. I agree with that. No other venue will really materialize for them on a long-term basis.

Or, are you saying. "I predict they will BOTH still be in the Valley, and be at GRA." That, I question.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
KIhekah,

Not sure what you mean here.....

If you mean..... Assume they are still in the Valley. In 5 years they will still be at GRA. I agree with that. No other venue will really materialize for them on a long-term basis.

Or, are you saying. "I predict they will BOTH still be in the Valley, and be at GRA." That, I question.

:laugh: Well since the arenas will still no doubt be here, the only assumption is that the team would need to remain to play in one of them.

Of course that is one of the rather looming questions hereabouts.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I must say, this latest round of the new arena media tour is coming out earlier than I thought.

Was expecting this to come out around the time of the RFP bids being due in a couple of weeks.

When Lebrun came out with this 'story' last month I recall him stating that they hoped to have a plan to announce sometime this year....5 weeks to go in that timeframe.....then 2 more after that...then another 2....

Edit: We're getting close to the end of this thread so time to throw a sub title suggestion in the ring.

Phoenix CX: The Lebluster Magical Mystery Arena Tour

Last edited:

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
So are these stories plants to the NHL-connected lapdog journalists?

I look at it another way. When these stories come from someone not associated from with NHL or Coyotes, they will become believable. A reporter with better connections to the Tempe/Scottsdale/Phoenix councils, or ASU, or Salt River folks. When the stories only come from one side and that side has a reason to keep a particular narrative in the discussion, I have a hard time believing it.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013

These multiple purported arenas are as real as desert mirages. The team is surrounded by a perpetual haboob, making it hard to get a good look at them, like Pigpen, only more obscuring.

The most probable scenarios are either relocation to Vegas (if the NHL decides to forego expansion) or staying in Glendale with whatever terms they can muster. There, at least there are no obstructed seats and they might be likely to secure better terms compared to vs. the Suns in Phoenix. As much as it seems like this may be the last year, part of me keeps reminding the rest of me not to underestimate the staying power of this saga and the endurance of the status quo (Coyotes in Glendale, though the owners and leases keep changing :laugh: ).

So he thinks there will be competing bids to build the Coyotes a new arena?? Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Everyone's after the Coyotes to be the anchor of a new arena. After all, the team is so popular, potential owners assume the team would be so expensive to buy a majority stake into that it's out of their league that they don't even bother announcing their interest. :naughty:

The Coyotes do seem to have a phenomenal ability to deter real reporters from writing on them and to attract hacks, half-wits, and phone-it-ins to cover them. The truth is out there, but nobody's looking...

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I look at it another way. When these stories come from someone not associated from with NHL or Coyotes, they will become believable. A reporter with better connections to the Tempe/Scottsdale/Phoenix councils, or ASU, or Salt River folks. When the stories only come from one side and that side has a reason to keep a particular narrative in the discussion, I have a hard time believing it.

Very good point.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I must say, this latest round of the new arena media tour is coming out earlier than I thought.

Was expecting this to come out around the time of the RFP bids being due in a couple of weeks.

When Lebrun came out with this 'story' last month I recall him stating that they hoped to have a plan to announce sometime this year....5 weeks to go in that timeframe.....then 2 more after that...then another 2....

Edit: We're getting close to the end of this thread so time to throw a sub title suggestion in the ring.

Phoenix CX: The Lebluster Magical Mystery Arena Tour

Well if we are only weeks away from RFP bids for the management of GRA coming to light and the upcoming NHL BOG meetings, then LeBeesur's timing is about right.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Well if we are only weeks away from RFP bids for the management of GRA coming to light and the upcoming NHL BOG meetings, then LeBeesur's timing is about right.
in what way? how would this new song and dance affect either the RFP or the BoG meeting? surely those participating in either would see right thru it, no?

i mean does anyone in any position of importance take this guy seriously? if the BoG is being swayed by Jacobs questioning the legitimacy and viability of the QC and Vegas expansion bids then he must be laughing out loud at the absurdity of the clowns ... unless of course, Jacobs and 28 other guys still actually own the coyotes, and lebluster is their jester.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
in what way? how would this new song and dance affect either the RFP or the BoG meeting? surely those participating in either would see right thru it, no?

i mean does anyone in any position of importance take this guy seriously? if the BoG is being swayed by Jacobs questioning the legitimacy and viability of the QC and Vegas expansion bids then he must be laughing out loud at the absurdity of the clowns ... unless of course, Jacobs and 28 other guys still actually own the coyotes, and lebluster is their jester.

COG is always ripe for the pickin':naughty:

As for the NHL, yup Lebeesur is their jester and an amusing one at that. I don't see any scenario where the NHL does not own the majority of that franchise. Barroway still listed as majority owner. How many pre-game pucks have him and his son dropped this season?:popcorn: These guys will have problems meeting payroll by February if they are not already having issues. Couldn't gather enough change to eat at Dave and Busters before the game.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad