Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVI: Barbarian at the Gate

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
This latest gambit by Balsille is obviously an attempt to force the COG to look at which situation is likely to give them the most favorable resolution.

A brilliant move by PSE IMO.

I believe this latest move is another attempt to divert the public's attention away from the real legal issue at hand: do businesses have the right to choose their partners?

PSE and his media friends have made an ongoing campaign out of this diversion. Theo ther strategy has been to do whatever they can to chill opposing bids. This is yet another one of those ploys. It's fun to watch. If my opinion is correct, I feel very badly for the people in Ontario who stand to be terribly disappointed if the decision is made on that basis. This is a terrific slight of hand show. I'm enjoying it.

i often said wouldnt it have been fun to see 2 BIDDERs from Hamilton.

Even if they made the same offer it would be great to see how the second "hamilton bidder" was accepted and treated .

i guess it would really show us .

I believe there could have been 25 bidders from Hamilton and it may not have mattered. I don't believe this is only about Balsillie. I also think the NHL has the right to determine where they choose to place teams, and will not accept anyone forcing them to place a franchise in a market against the League's judgment
Are you delusional? Balsillie will never be on the NHL's "good side". He's tried this twice already. This is Balsillies last ditch attempt to get his hands on an NHL team. This is the only way he'll get his team.

Better PR? Jim Balsillie has the entire Canadian media on his side. Balsillie has run away with this PR battle here in Canada.

We agree. At one time Balsillie had the opportunity to work within the League's framework and chose a different path. That horse is way out of the barn now. He will have a difficult time ever gaining approval from the BoG.

Funny - it was set before JB submitted his offer. :shakehead The meeting was set to discuss things with Ice Edge, although clearly this development will also be discussed.

GSC, I believe this is a ploy to not only divert attention from the real issues, but yet another attempt to chill other bids. PSE seems to be counting on this putting enough pressure on the City to kill the proposed deal with Ice Edge. In my opinion, PSE is clearly conducting this campaign through the media as a leverage tool, rather than conducting a viable legal campaign.

I am becoming convinced Rodier and Balsillie are among the greatest illusionists I've ever observed. A couple of regular Doug Hennings.

They have done a great job of look over here:

It's about a supposed Leafs veto!
Hey forget the real legal arguments, let's argue about the value of a franchise in Hamilton!
Oh yes, let's make an offer to buy Glendale's liability! That will make everyone forget the real issues, and maybe we can make Glendale back away from their MOU with Ice Edge!

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
PSE and his media friends have made an ongoing campaign out of this diversion. Theo ther strategy has been to do whatever they can to chill opposing bids. This is yet another one of those ploys. It's fun to watch. If my opinion is correct, I feel very badly for the people in Ontario who stand to be terribly disappointed if the decision is made on that basis. This is a terrific slight of hand show. I'm enjoying it.
Funny, PSE gets accused of "chilling bids" by offering substantially more money than anyone else. That's how it's supposed to work in an auction. NHL offer is now $100 million less, and only seems to be standing on the grounds that they can singlehandedly reject PSE's bid on grounds of character issues, yet they don't ever seem to be accused of "chilling bids". Intriguing double standard.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Funny, PSE gets accused of "chilling bids" by offering substantially more money than anyone else. That's how it's supposed to work in an auction. NHL offer is now $100 million less, and only seems to be standing on the grounds that they can singlehandedly reject PSE's bid on grounds of character issues, yet they don't ever seem to be accused of "chilling bids". Intriguing double standard.

You're entitled to your opinion. I believe the desired impact is on the City of Glendale to try to create enough FUD to stop them from coming to agreement with Ice Edge.

This ploy once again centers on diverting attention away from the real legal questions. Additionally, the diversion includes some focus on relocation fees. The offer to buy the City's claim is for $40 million if the relocation fee is above $25 million. *Does anyone believe IF this ever gets to that stage, it will be below that amount? Additionally it also reduces the APA to the Court to $192.5 million.

Ice Edge has offered $150 million so far and if PSE doesn't create enough F.U.D. to chill their deal with the City, the difference would then be $42.5 million, but Ice Edge would leave the City whole and PSE would leave the City with $250 million in bond liabilities less $40 million. The City then gets stuck with at least a $210 million bag, but wait there's more Ron Popeil!!!

If the sale doesn't close immediately, PSE deposits $25 million so after reducing their APA by $10 million, the net is only a $15 million increase!

* EDIT: See how well the diversion works? Relocation fees are not relevant at this juncture.

Last edited:

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
J.B's an idiot. He didn't need to throw more money in there.
All he'd have to say is "I will keep the Coyotes in Glendale for one more season and then move them".

Based on what Baum said to J.B. last week "I wish you'd remove your condition of moving the team this year", I'd say he's all but ready to hand the team to him - even if JB said he'd move the team as soon as this season wrapped up.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
J.B's an idiot. He didn't need to throw more money in there.
All he'd have to say is "I will keep the Coyotes in Glendale for one more season and then move them".

Based on what Baum said to J.B. last week "I wish you'd remove your condition of moving the team this year", I'd say he's all but ready to hand the team to him - even if JB said he'd move the team as soon as this season wrapped up.

He did say he would keep the team in Phoenix for one more season.

HamiltonFan

bettman's a Weasel
May 4, 2009
Funny - it was set before JB submitted his offer. :shakehead The meeting was set to discuss things with Ice Edge, although clearly this development will also be discussed.

Show me a link that says the meeting was called to discuss ICE EDGE.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I am becoming convinced Rodier and Balsillie are among the greatest illusionists I've ever observed. A couple of regular Doug Hennings.

They have done a great job of look over here:

It's about a supposed Leafs veto!
Hey forget the real legal arguments, let's argue about the value of a franchise in Hamilton!
Oh yes, let's make an offer to buy Glendale's liability! That will make everyone forget the real issues, and maybe we can make Glendale back away from their MOU with Ice Edge!

Pretty much.

NHLHammerbound*

What a silly statement. Per the "expert" testimony of Jb's own economist, 69% of Hamiltonians are not interested in hockey. both of us in the minority. Mod deleted

A Significant share of that 69% ( assuming those figures are even accurate, and likewise predicated on how the question was worded ) may still want to see Hamilton get an NHL franchise, wether they are avid hockey fans or not. One obvious benefit , even for non Hockey fans, is the money spent by people from surrounding regions ( coming to games ) in support of the local economy. Guess u didn't think of that one eh ? :shakehead

Fine, he speaks for you. As I said, he does not speak for Hamiltonians. Neither do you, and neither do I.

I never claimed to speak for ALL Hamiltonians. I made it clear that I was voicing an OP shared by many of S. Ontario's UNREQUITED HOCKEY FANS who fervently want a second NHL team here.

My opinions/ desires to see JB succeed in his quest ( as per the responses of several others ,on this site who wholeheartedly concur ) is certainly shared by a huge number of Hamiltonians/ inhabitants of S. Ont. And I certainly DONT need your permission to speak my mind, on this subject.

HamiltonFan

bettman's a Weasel
May 4, 2009

Nice try, Sherlock, but neither of those links says the meeting was called to discuss ICE EDGE.

My question remains, show me a link that says the meeting is to discuss ICE EDGE. You might want to read your sources carefully before posting them. Please don't waste my time with more garbage.

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Nice try, Sherlock, but neither of those links says the meeting was called to discuss ICE EDGE.

My question remains, show me a link that says the meeting is to discuss ICE EDGE. You might want to read your sources carefully before posting them. Please don't waste my time with more garbage.

Wow a little flaming???

The meeting as defined by the City is to discuss current negotiations for the lease. It was scheduled before the Balsillie BS offer was announced. It was scheduled after the Ice Edge MOU was signed.

Don't waste my time, do your own research for once.

Jaym3000

Aug 18, 2009

Wow a little flaming???

The meeting as defined by the City is to discuss current negotiations for the lease. It was scheduled before the Balsillie BS offer was announced. It was scheduled after the Ice Edge MOU was signed.

So kind of semantics, but the meeting was to discuss current negotiations for the lease - which now includes Balsillie's latest bid. This will include Ice Edge but was never exclusive which some have suggested (although the same may argue that since Ice Edge was the only proposal on the agenda at the time the meeting was set, that it was exclusive to them). Seems irrelevent - they will discuss both now.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
So kind of semantics, but the meeting was to discuss current negotiations for the lease - which now includes Balsillie's latest bid. This will include Ice Edge but was never exclusive which some have suggested (although the same may argue that since Ice Edge was the only proposal on the agenda at the time the meeting was set, that it was exclusive to them). Seems irrelevent - they will discuss both now.

I'd agree with you there. They HAVE to discuss both ASAP.

HamiltonFan

bettman's a Weasel
May 4, 2009

Wow a little flaming???

That's all hearsay on your part. How do you know JB didn't present Glendale with his offer over a week ago? Just because it was only announced to the press yesterday?

You're still wasting my time, and still have not provided my link.

Jaym3000

Aug 18, 2009
It will be very interesting to see what Ice Edge is proposing. I just can't see how the team can be viable with the lease in its current form and I also think that to make true financial sense JR was not that far offside with the concessions required.
I think the kicker with JR was the 5 year commitment. The question here is how can they do something (make money) where nobody else feels that they could? Surely there has to be an out clause somewhere just in case.

PeteZaTheHutt

Aug 28, 2009
Please STOP speaking for Hamiltonians. Neither I, nor CanadianBacon (another Hamilton poster) nor anyone else has authorized you to speak for Hamiltonians.

Speak for yourself, and yourself only.
Nobody has authorized NHLHammerbound to speak for Hamiltonians? Okay, I authorize him. I grew up in Hamilton and I currently live in Beamsville which is 15 minutes down the road, so I still consider myself a Hamiltonian. And did you really say "speak for yourself, and yourself only"? Do lawyers routinely make a habit of ignoring significant legal tenets such as freedom of expression which is recognized in international and regional human rights law and is enshrined in Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights, Article 13 of the American Convention on Human Rights and Article 9 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights? (hey, I can cut and paste too!TM)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->