Post-Game Talk: Philly @ The Washington Anthony Manthanys | 7p ET | NBCSW

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I hate that. I'm not saying it won't work but it irritates me how often the Capitals seem to acquire career wingers and then immediately say "let's try you on the other side" and wonder why their acquisitions suddenly suck.

Right Wing Left Wing only seems to be applicable in the d zone anymore and even there its man to man. In the offensive zone its F1 F2 and F3. I see Ov as often in the right side of the offensive zone as the left and Oshie as much on the left as right. Right?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Right Wing Left Wing only seems to be applicable in the d zone anymore and even there its man to man. In the offensive zone its F1 F2 and F3. I see Ov as often in the right side of the offensive zone as the left and Oshie as much on the left as right. Right?
As a byproduct of that defensive zone application it also factors in on rushes and zone entries, which is where I dislike it the most. Entering on the opposite wing changes so much about your shooting hotspots and puck protection tendencies that when it seems like a potent or desirable aspect of a player's game it should matter a little more for the top 6 at least.

Won't matter every rush, all game, but you're setting yourself up for certain statistical frequencies unless you plan around it. This all only matters if Mantha is a fairly pure RW, but it's sort of like Ovechkin on RW: talent finds a way but they have to re-learn a lot of what they thought they knew about how to find their shots on the rush if they're not equipped for it already.

just trying to recall what I saw from his highlight reel, I think he's more deferential on the left and less likely to just rip a shot or tuck his shoulder and go to the net. Maybe not by a lot, maybe just anecdotally, but that's another thing you can feel more pressured to do when your body is open to your teammates like that more often as well.

Reactions: g00n

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
As a byproduct of that defensive zone application it also factors in on rushes and zone entries, which is where I dislike it the most. Entering on the opposite wing changes so much about your shooting hotspots and puck protection tendencies that when it seems like a potent or desirable aspect of a player's game it should matter a little more for the top 6 at least.

Won't matter every rush, all game, but you're setting yourself up for certain statistical frequencies unless you plan around it. This all only matters if Mantha is a fairly pure RW, but it's sort of like Ovechkin on RW: talent finds a way but they have to re-learn a lot of what they thought they knew about how to find their shots on the rush if they're not equipped for it already.

Ok....come playoffs Oshie is RW on one of the top 2 lines. Wilson in the other spot. If Mantha plays RW, he is with Eller. As I posted above, I like that. But if you want him in the top 6, its going to be on the left.

Reactions: kicksavedave

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Ok....come playoffs Oshie is RW on one of the top 2 lines. Wilson in the other spot. If Mantha plays RW, he is with Eller. As I posted above, I like that. But if you want him in the top 6, its going to be on the left.
I mean, this is presuming Mantha is drastically better on one wing than the other, but I don't really care as long as players are succeeding where they're put. I think you could swap Wilson and Mantha considering their special teams deployments without offending Wilson, but it doesn't really matter.

If Mantha is their Kessel, that's just fine with me.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
All aboard the Mantha Bantha

tenor.gif
Winner!

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Is he related to Moe Mantha?

Don't think so. Moe Mantha was a US player during the 80s and early 90s where Anthony was born in Canada. Allcaps is correct about his grandfather though and there is a short commercial of his grandfather watching him score his first NHL goal during game breaks on NHL TV. As for Moe Mantha the last I remember of him is when he played for the old Winnipeg Jets.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad