Player Discussion Phillip Danault

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
No. Its not. The despite PP time thing doesnt mean anything, he wouldnt have put up any more points there because hes bad offensively.

53 points is not top 6 C worthy on a contender, this is it. Youre starting up on the wrong side. Danault cant be matched against Malkin and Kuznetsov and McDavid and Point every game because you lose the matchup there.

The Blue's second center is called Brayden Schen, he got 54 points this year.

Not saying you're wrong about Danault...

But you can definitely win the cup with a 50-55 Pts second line Center. As was demonstrated last week.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

But you can definitely win the cup with a 50-55 Pts second line Center. As was demonstrated last week.

But he had 54 points in 72 games... In 82 games, I'm sure he gets 60 points.

Danault when you watch him play, you don't see a driver, you see someone who is good at leeching points from his wingers.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
Plekanec was a ver good 2nd center and got plenty of hate on this Board for years. Danault task is to win key faceoff and kill under team top line. He is not at the level of Plekky but he is doing fine. Leeching point :help:

Reactions: HabsDood

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal

Danault did great, don't let the guy tell you otherwise, he always bullies Danault here, waste of time.

Reactions: Habs Icing

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
No. Its not. The despite PP time thing doesnt mean anything, he wouldnt have put up any more points there because hes bad offensively.

53 points is not top 6 C worthy on a contender, this is it. Youre starting up on the wrong side. Danault cant be matched against Malkin and Kuznetsov and McDavid and Point every game because you lose the matchup there.

He.
Is.
Not.
Good.
Enough.
So Gallagher isn't a top 6 either with his 52 points . :laugh:

Reactions: HabsDood

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Danault did great, don't let the guy tell you otherwise, he always bullies Danault here, waste of time.
At one point , is it better to get a 60 points players that is -10 or a 54 points player that is +20 ? Danault and his linemates prevent a lot of goals from other teams top line and still manage to put points themselves

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I never said otherwise. Obviously Danault is a perfect shoe in 3C. He also earned his time, but now he should be moved down.

Because hell want a significant pay raise and you cant pay your 7th best forward 6m+
Then, I understand your points in this thread, you're just sayin' that he was used in way over his head and got more points than he should be getting and I wholeheartedly agree with this, but he gives an honest effort and he will be great on our defense first grinding lines when we get better more offensively gifted centers.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Then, I understand your points in this thread, you're just sayin' that he was used in way over his head and got more points than he should be getting and I wholeheartedly agree with this, but he gives an honest effort and he will be great on our defense first grinding lines when we get better more offensively gifted centers.
Honest effort never won anything in this league. Id much rather not get tied into an overpaid 3C, because the return on investment is lesser the further you go from the top spots in the lineup. You want to have the absolute most money to pay your best 10 players IMO.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Honest effort never won anything in this league. Id much rather not get tied into an overpaid 3C, because the return on investment is lesser the further you go from the top spots in the lineup. You want to have the absolute most money to pay your best 10 players IMO.
Bonne St-Jean à fatso

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Okay, thats true, but when youre building a team you have to think of whats best for your team. Whats best isn't playing a 3C over your potential 1C.

On the comparisons, every single team also had centers more responsible, yet they choose to play the kids over them, and now look at where they are.
Barzal was on the same team as Tavares, didn't stop the Islanders from giving him the keys to the team. Pettersson had Horvat, etc... Theres plenty of examples of that.

Well, first the excuse was that he was 18 and tired, now at 19 whats gonna be the excuse ? At 20 its gonna be that hes a winger ?

Sorry,but I can't speak on behalf of many others due to ignorance. It might very well have been not opportunistic and benefit in the long run,but they have their ways I suppose of doing things.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
The Habs will never be a serious contender with Danault in a top 6 role. He’s the classic example of a player given a role above head, and people use his numbers relative to his salary to defend him. (Desharnais)

He’s an elite 3rd C but a mediocre 2nd C. Reminds me of Plekanec’s prime when he was an elite 2nd C but a mediocre 1st C. The Habs have done this nonsense for years and it’s why they just stink of mediocrity.

Reactions: NobleSix

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The Habs will never be a serious contender with Danault in a top 6 role. He’s the classic example of a player given a role above head, and people use his numbers relative to his salary to defend him. (Desharnais)

He’s an elite 3rd C but a mediocre 2nd C. Reminds me of Plekanec’s prime when he was an elite 2nd C but a mediocre 1st C. The Habs have done this nonsense for years and it’s why they just stink of mediocrity.

Unlike the bulk of Pleks career, we actually have some top-6C depth.

With our current roster depth, Danault looks to be the 3C as soon as JKO is ready/trusted to play more minutes.

Domi - JKO - Danault... With Poehling also a possibility.

As long as one, if not both, young guys develop somewhere close to their potential, Danault will either become expendable, or continue to progress enough so as to warrant trading one of the other C's for other assets.

Either way, for the time being he's an excellent piece to have, delivering great ROI for his cap hit.

If we had a better top-6C to play ahead of him, we'd be in a great spot... Few, if any, teams have a better 3C option at his cap hit.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Team structure vary form team to team,some are top heavy and others more dispersed. Seeing as BG,PD and Tatar were top 5 on 5 last season and PD was nominated, Perhaps for the Habs dispersion is valued more than going top heavy.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Can't not agree with this. Perhaps your points in this thread are a bit salt inducing, but they are the harsh reality. Having Danault on top lines ain't gonna lead us nowhere and we're bound to overpay for him 'cause of his artificially inflated production.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Can't not agree with this. Perhaps your points in this thread are a bit salt inducing, but they are the harsh reality. Having Danault on top lines ain't gonna lead us nowhere and we're bound to overpay for him 'cause of his artificially inflated production.

Maybe,just maybe PD can neutralize the opposing center and therefore neutralizes the wingers as well to an extent,considering that centers are predominantly the play-maker/distributor.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
This is not how things work in real life.

Danault is playing over his head right now, hes playing 19 minutes a night, as much as most 1C out there, he's nowhere near as good as the money he will want, and to be fair, he's right to ask for that money.
He's not playing over his head, he's just improving little by little every year and had now reach his full potential, or improve a little bit again at age of 27 or 28.

Not adressing to you necessarly, but looks like some posters here have locked Danault into a category of bad center who is almost useless because he doesn't score 35 g and have 70 pts. No he's not Crosby, he's maybe a newer version of Carbonneau, or a lower version of Patrice Bergeron, whatever ...

This season coming, I don't see Kotka take his spot on top 6 forwards. The only one I see pushing Danault of top 6 is Poehling. Actually I see Poehling much stronger on his skates (than Kotka), age maturity have something to do with it, he's the wild card of next training camp. Kotka will be first center in 3 years, not before, a lot of people here don't take age maturity and see Kotka like if he's 24 this year. Wait 3 years with Kotka #1 center.

Domi isn't the perfect #1 center either, he does a surprising good job dho, I see we have to wait a bit with centers and Danault (and Domi) will fill some major centering role until Kotka and Poeh are fully ready.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
We get so caught up in 1st line/2nd line... the fact is Danault should be playing important minutes and taking key draws. He is a great 2 way player and we are really lucky to have a versatile player like that.

Obviously we need some offensive dynamos, but don't Danault is a key piece that every great team needs.

Reactions: CoupeStanley

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
At one point , is it better to get a 60 points players that is -10 or a 54 points player that is +20 ? Danault and his linemates prevent a lot of goals from other teams top line and still manage to put points themselves
Good point. We don't have top quality forward on our team. What we called a decade ago "a power-forward", I don't see any at all, we have none, zero, nada. Last power-forward we had was Zednik ? So when we face super-offencing teams like Pittsburg or Leafs, we have to be happy having Danault shutting down offence and creating some scoring chances to his wingers. At the end of the discussion, he is + 20. This year we were 2-2 with Boston (finalist Stl Cup) and Danault was a major player in those wins.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
We get so caught up in 1st line/2nd line... the fact is Danault should be playing important minutes and taking key draws. He is a great 2 way player and we are really lucky to have a versatile player like that.

Obviously we need some offensive dynamos, but don't Danault is a key piece that every great team needs.
Danault is NOT a key piece for any serious cup contender, he’s not a top 6 center. Great 3rd line center. And he’s not playoff tried & tested on top of it.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Danault certainly does not need the sheltering that Poehling and KK are going to get. He is a good shutdown shadowing type of center that will continue to play an elevated role until the others are ready and that probably won't be until the young guys get 200-300 NHL games underneath them.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Hahahahahaha

I guess experts and data are not something you believe in.

I'll respond here RE: Danault's defense. I dunno what data you mean but by CA or xGA both Tatar and Gallagher are better than Danault, as is Kotkaniemi. I think Danault's a good defensive player but he's a long way from legitimately being a Selke candidate IMO.

It's one of those things where his style of play makes him look "defensive" because he doesn't make flashy plays or slick passes but his value is primarily through transition and offense through forechecking and aggression. He's still a good defender but the bulk of his value is in driving play and generating shots for his line through aggressive forechecking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Why not trade all the good players of the team while their value are high ? :loony:
Danault's value is high and we have Domi, KK, Poehling. It's a good thing that the odd-man out have good value.

For the record, I really like what I saw from Danault last year. He keeps improving year after year. He was one of our best producer at even strength... but if we decide to keep Domi as a C, we don't have room for Danault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->