Player Discussion Phillip Danault

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Both came in their 19 years old season... youre kicking a can down the street here.

Pettersson was 19 for 1 month this year. This was his 20 year old season. Even then, he still played over 2:30 minutes less/Game than Bo Horvat.

Barzal's was laready 20 when his Calder winning season started. Even then he was third in TOI/Game for C's on that team, behind Tavares and Josh Bailey.

Reactions: Archijerej

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's funny that you're saying that because St. Louis just won the cup with a 2nd line offensive minded center (Schenn) who did... 1 more point than Danault. (in less games but with siimilar total ice time) Unlike Danault, he did that while playing regularly on the PP. And unlike Danault, he didn't finished 7th in Selke voting. He actually didn't get any consideration.

I you cannot admit that Danault played last season like a 2nd line center, and a pretty good one, then I'm sorry, but you are not objective. And it's getting pretty clear what exactly motivates such a bias, for those who have been reading you over the years.
This is so f***ing annoying. Leave the agendas at home, Im here to talk hockey and not your stupid bias.

Reactions: Habs178

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Pettersson was 19 for 1 month this year. This was his 20 year old season. Even then, he still played over 2:30 minutes less/Game than Bo Horvat.

Barzal's was laready 20 when his Calder winning season started. Even then he was third in TOI/Game for C's on that team, behind Tavares and Josh Bailey.
And how much ice time did they both get? And with which players?

Were going somewhere...

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
No hes not a 2C and no he never will be. He struggled to break 50 points while playing with the two best wingers on the team in the highest scoring season since 93.

Thats it, theres nothing else to it.

How in the world did he "struggled"??? He did 53 points despite being used in a defensive role, without any power play time. That's quite an accomplishment!

Jul 6, 2016
Hopefully he is given the chance one day. Patience is good, as long as there is a willingness to put him in the position to take the reins.

Geez, the kid is not 19 yet ! He was useless in the road games because of the matchups. He needs to bulk up too.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How in the world did he "struggled"??? He did 53 points despite being used in a defensive role, without any power play time. That's quite an accomplishment!
No. Its not. The despite PP time thing doesnt mean anything, he wouldnt have put up any more points there because hes bad offensively.

53 points is not top 6 C worthy on a contender, this is it. Youre starting up on the wrong side. Danault cant be matched against Malkin and Kuznetsov and McDavid and Point every game because you lose the matchup there.

He.
Is.
Not.
Good.
Enough.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
No hes not a 2C and no he never will be. He struggled to break 50 points while playing with the two best wingers on the team in the highest scoring season since 93.

You are right that he wasn't a 2C for us... Because he was our most used C last year, that's undeniable.

I'd agree that his level last year leaves a bit to be desired as far as a 2C for a cup winning team, especially without a superstar caliber #1C ahead of him...

But last year was also his best season as a pro. At 26 & with his work ethic, it's highly unlikely he won't improve further... And he doesn't need to improve much to be a good 2C. If he has anywhere close to the continued improvement he's had since arriving, he'll quickly become a great #2C.

If you have future vision that assures he's done progressing, do you mind sharing the next few winning lottery
Numbers with a fellow Habs fan, plz?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
What if this "70 point center" is punching above his weight, which wouldn't be surprising, considering his resume thus far? What if Kotkaniemi's value is at an all time high, because people see a potential #1 center and he turns out not to be one? What if our prospects follow the path of so many other prospects we held in high regard, wouldn't it set their value as an all time high right now and diminishing in the future? Should we trade them all?

Then we have larger problems than worrying about losing a 3rd line center. Keeping a 3C doesnt solve any of those potential problems.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
No. Its not. The despite PP time thing doesnt mean anything, he wouldnt have put up any more points there because hes bad offensively.

53 points is not top 6 C worthy on a contender, this is it. Youre starting up on the wrong side. Danault cant be matched against Malkin and Kuznetsov and McDavid and Point every game because you lose the matchup there.

He.
Is.
Not.
Good.
Enough.

Perhaps you shouldn't dismiss any kind of bias too soon, Danault, if used as a third line center, as he should be, with 30 to 50% less production, is still a valuable third line center on a winning team. If Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Domi, Suzuki or name it, are able to put Danault down a peg or two in the lineup, that would be ideal. You can't dismiss the fact that he earned his duty, last season, despite not being an ideal fit on a contending team, and I don't consider the Habs being a contender anytime soon, because of that reason amongst others. When the internal competition beats types like Danault it will be the time to get excited.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Danault 2 years left with that cap is the perfect time to trade him before he ask money hes not worth keeping for.
I don't see why we wouldn't keep the guy. At worst he's a great number three center. Moreover, having him in the lineup gives KK more time to develop.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Perhaps you shouldn't dismiss any kind of bias too soon, Danault, if used as a third line center, as he should be, with 30 to 50% less production, is still a valuable third line center on a winning team. If Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Domi, Suzuki or name it, are able to put Danault down a peg or two in the lineup, that would be ideal. You can't dismiss the fact that he earned his duty, last season, despite not being an ideal fit on a contending team, and I don't consider the Habs being a contender anytime soon, because of that reason amongst others. When the internal competition beats types like Danault it will be the time to get excited.

I never said otherwise. Obviously Danault is a perfect shoe in 3C. He also earned his time, but now he should be moved down.

I don't see why we wouldn't keep the guy. At worst he's a great number three center. Moreover, having him in the lineup gives KK more time to develop.

Because hell want a significant pay raise and you cant pay your 7th best forward 6m+

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I never said otherwise. Obviously Danault is a perfect shoe in 3C. He also earned his time, but now he should be moved down.

Because hell want a significant pay raise and you cant pay your 7th best forward 6m+

You're getting wayyyy ahead. Danault has two more years at 3C money, we didn't sign him to be a long term top 6 option. Sure he had a great year but there's no way we drafted KK to play behind him in the long term.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Depends on what we're paying everyone else.

MB should be trying to sign some of these guys now. Domi for example has one good season to his name and we should try to get him at a value contract now. If he has another good year he'll want 8 or 9 mil a season. Sign him now long term at 6.5 or 7 if you can.

Dannault's two years away from re-upping. We should enjoy that cheap contract for now and see how things work out. Not in any hurry to deal away a guy who's got good two way play for cheap money. If we want to deal him off later that's fine. But he's nice to bridge the gap for KK and Suzuki right now.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You're getting wayyyy ahead. Danault has two more years at 3C money, we didn't sign him to be a long term top 6 option. Sure he had a great year but there's no way we drafted KK to play behind him in the long term.
Hes doing it right now. When is long term and short term becoming the same thingM

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Hes doing it right now. When is long term and short term becoming the same thingM

He's been a top 6 centre for us because we haven't had any better. Now finally there is someone in the pipeline to take his spot.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006

He struggled ? How ? Did Gallagher struggled, yet he got one less point ? 50pts is already no2 center level type of production... will he repeat it, we don't know, but, he produced last year as a no2 center, THAT'S A FACT.

And best offensive year since 93 ? Another made up stat... look again...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Depends on what we're paying everyone else.

MB should be trying to sign some of these guys now. Domi for example has one good season to his name and we should try to get him at a value contract now. If he has another good year he'll want 8 or 9 mil a season. Sign him now long term at 6.5 or 7 if you can.

Dannault's two years away from re-upping. We should enjoy that cheap contract for now and see how things work out. Not in any hurry to deal away a guy who's got good two way play for cheap money. If we want to deal him off later that's fine. But he's nice to bridge the gap for KK and Suzuki right now.

I dont know. Moving him now should bring us a mega huge return and allows a smooth transition from Danault to Poehling.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I dont know. Moving him now should bring us a mega huge return and allows a smooth transition from Danault to Poehling.
You're telling me he's a crappy player and you've bashed the hell out of him for the better part of a year.

Then you tell me that he could get a "mega huge" return...

Reactions: Habs Icing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad