Player Discussion Phillip Danault

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Can we just stop about Danault being a real top center.

Dude plays 19min a game , of course his offensive stats will look higher , probably plays with the 2 best winger in the team also.
Hes also the most used forward for the last 2 seasons.

Atleast 5 of his goals were scored with his body or a rebound into an empty net.
He has 8 secondary assist.

I mean jesus at one point let's stop pretending. If he were to play 14min a game with Lekhonen and Armia , he would probably have 10 points.

Im pretty sure Suzuki would have alteast 10 more points if he had the same ice time.

Same shit about Pageau and Duclair in Ottawa , Not because you are forced to play in this position mean ur are fit for this roll.

This is the exact reason why this team suck so much , when Danault is '' your best center '' this is why you have problems.

Same shit with Andrew Shaw last season

Reactions: Edgy

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
No other fan base in the league would be so entitled (stupid) as to complain about their 50+ point shutdown centre.

"But but but he plays with top 6 wingers, of course he produces like a top 6 C"

Ah, I see you have zero familiarity with this team over the last two decades. Also, virtually every top 6 C plays with top 6 wingers. That's how it works...

"But but but he plays all those minutes!! Surely if one of our kids or Domi took all those minutes shutting down the other team's top line they would be much better at it."

No, we have no other centre currently capable of playing a power vs power shutdown role for 18+ minutes a night. Maybe one day Suzuki or Kotka (maybe even Poehling) will get there, but Danault is 100% necessary right now. Domi isn't capable of playing those shutdown minutes against other top lines, so why would we waste good possession wingers with him when they can play the extra minutes effectively on the shutdown line?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Dude plays 19min a game , of course his offensive stats will look higher , probably plays with the 2 best winger in the team also.

Atleast 5 of his goals were scored with his body or a rebound into an empty net.

I mean jesus at one point let's stop pretending. If he were to play 14min a game with Lekhonen and Armia , he would probably have 10 points.

Im pretty sure Suzuki would have alteast 10 more points if he had the same ice time.

Same **** about Pageau and Duclair in Ottawa , Not because you are forced to play in this position mean ur are fit for this roll.

This is the exact reason why this team suck so much , when Danault is '' your best center '' this is why you have problems.

Same **** with Andrew Shaw last season

thats a fallacy to say that increase ice time=increase production all the time. Its not true. Just giving someone ice time does not mean they will produce.

Playing with the teams best wingers? Again you can't fault Danault for having good chemistry with his linemates. You take those guys away and they don't play as well without him. Not saying PD makes em go, saying that all 3 combine to make what has really been our only effective line this season. Should CJ destroy the one line that actually brings it every night to prove that PD isn't as good as some say? He has one actual functioning line that he can trust game in game out you can't blame a coach for not messing with that. Remember when Tatar was taken off the line? Its not like he was on fire. Those 3 guys compliment each other.

And PD being our best C is because Domi isn't having a great season this year. If Domi was on 70 point pace again the story would be different. MB deserves some blame for not getting him another winger, Drouin deserves some "blame" for being injure (while not blame because thats not his fault) but so does Domi because he isn't playing like last year.

And in the end no one thinks PD is an elite 1C, not even really a 1C. the main argument is he is a good 2c, good on D and defense and has earned his top 6 minutes.

Truth is if PD was on another team we would all want him here on this team and be complaining how we missed another kid in our backyard and how stupid MB is for not getting a top 6 C that is a local kid.

The narrative that PD is a 3c is so 3 years ago. Time to move into the present. The guy even gets tons of praise from the announcers on the games I watch.

We should be happy we stole this guy from Chicago and developed him into the player he is. Look at what he was doing before he came here. A guy taken 26th overall who had 26 and 38 points in the AHL and 5 points in 30 games in Chicago has turned into a 50 + point player that can be in the top 10 for selke noms.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
No other fan base in the league would be so entitled (stupid) as to complain about their 50+ point shutdown centre.

"But but but he plays with top 6 wingers, of course he produces like a top 6 C"

Ah, I see you have zero familiarity with this team over the last two decades. Also, virtually every top 6 C plays with top 6 wingers. That's how it works...

"But but but he plays all those minutes!! Surely if one of our kids or Domi took all those minutes shutting down the other team's top line they would be much better at it."

No, we have no other centre currently capable of playing a power vs power shutdown role for 18+ minutes a night. Maybe one day Suzuki or Kotka (maybe even Poehling) will get there, but Danault is 100% necessary right now. Domi isn't capable of playing those shutdown minutes against other top lines, so why would we waste good possession wingers with him when they can play the extra minutes effectively on the shutdown line?
I think most of us are pissed about the “100% necessary right now”...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's either a fringe #1C or a great #2C

No #3C can be put into that role and just wreak havoc the way he does either in the defensive zone breaking up plays or creating plays in the offensive zone.

he's underrated offensively because there's so little flash in the way he creates offense.

yet he creates offense (quietly tied as our 2nd leading scorer) and is tops in the league defensively.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
he's underrated offensively because there's so little flash in the way he creates offense.

yet he creates offense (quietly tied as our 2nd leading scorer) and is tops in the league defensively.

I have no issue with having Danault as our 1st line C until a better option develops or gets acquired. That being said, Drouin is injured, Domi is having a mediocre season and Danault's line has the luxury of chemistry as it's the only line intact from last year. Chemistry is huge as all 3 players feed off each other but good for them that's important in hockey, hopefully we can get another line that has chemistry and can produce consistently.

I also don't think Danault has the same offensive upside as O'Reilly , if he ever gets close to PPG stats over a full season I'll gladly eat crow (I just personally don't see it). There's nothing wrong with an elite defensive C that puts up 40-50ish points a season. Teams need these type of players to have success in regular season/playoffs.

I just cringe a bit when people mention Bergeron or O'Reilly as it really undermines how important their offensive contribution is to their respective teams.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I have no issue with having Danault as our 1st line C until a better option develops or gets acquired. That being said, Drouin is injured, Domi is having a mediocre season and Danault's line has the luxury of chemistry as it's the only line intact from last year. Chemistry is huge as all 3 players feed off each other but good for them that's important in hockey, hopefully we can get another line that has chemistry and can produce consistently.

I also don't think Danault has the same offensive upside as O'Reilly , if he ever gets close to PPG stats over a full season I'll gladly eat crow (I just personally don't see it). There's nothing wrong with an elite defensive C that puts up 40-50ish points a season. Teams need these type of players to have success in regular season/playoffs.

I just cringe a bit when people mention Bergeron or O'Reilly as it really undermines how important their offensive contribution is to their respective teams.

yeah he's not O'Reilly level. But he had 53 points last year and is on pace for 62 this year. So he may be more of a 45-65 point guy. He's now entered his prime, so we'll be finding out.

Reactions: jaffy27

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
He's either a fringe #1C or a great #2C

No #3C can be put into that role and just wreak havoc the way he does either in the defensive zone breaking up plays or creating plays in the offensive zone.
Do we have anybody else who can do the job? Wtf all these pages about Danault?
Don't you find it's a big waste of time? Like if the B plan was so easy? It's easy to have someone else that Danault? Oh yeah easy, you snap your fingers and here comes McKinnon.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Same **** about Pageau and Duclair in Ottawa , Not because you are forced to play in this position mean ur are fit for this roll.

Same **** with Andrew Shaw last season
I noticed no one liked your post for good reason. Just appreciate that he does produce and plays against the other team's top lines. Jesus only in Montreal would folks hate on a decent player like this

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
1. MB traded for him, actually stole him from CHI in one of the most lopsided trades in recent years.

2. He isn't young or foreign enough, and because he is french its automatically assumed he is the same as DD and stealing time from KK/Suzuki/Phoeling or whoever else is the darling of HF.

3. Fans are starved for an offensive player like the glory days and since Danault is an all around player he takes the brunt of it because of point 2. If only PD was on the 3rd line then we would have an offensive superpower 2nd line because Gally and Tatar are elite level 90 point guys carrying Danault to his pathetic 5 v 5 production.

This post is underrated. You've just described my 13 years experience on the Habs board in a nutshell.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

He is so incredibly lucky though. Today he was gifted an assist on the Gallagher goal.

First he benefitted from some guy making a great outlet pass to star LW Tomas Tatar, then when he moved up ice to catch up to the play he was way behind on, he was lucky that his skates were able to move faster than the fellow on the other team who surely took a bribe from the Quebec Prime Minister to look bad. Then when deftly as always Tatar handed him back the puck, he tried to shoot but instead of a whistling drive, the puck dribbled off to the right of the net and would have been recorded as a missed shot attempt if superstar goalscorer Brendan Gallagher didn't happen to be there to redirect the shot that was going wide around the lost goaltender (maybe he took a bribe too?!).

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He is so incredibly lucky though. Today he was gifted an assist on the Gallagher goal.

First he benefitted from some guy making a great outlet pass to star LW Tomas Tatar, then when he moved up ice to catch up to the play he was way behind on, he was lucky that his skates were able to ove faster than the fellow on the other team who surely took a bribe from the Quebec Prime Minister to look bad. Then when deftly as always Tatar handed him back the puck, he tried to shoot but instead of a whistling drive, the puck dribbled off to the right of the net and would have been recorded as a missed shot attempt if superstar goalscorer Brendan Gallagher didn't happen to be there to redirect the shot that was going wide around the lost goaltender (maybe he took a bribe too?!).

This is good. People who crap on Danault have no clue what they're talking about. He's a very good player and pretty much always has been since he's been traded here.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I remember how last year I was being lectured how Max Domi was a better center than Danault. Not a better offensive forward, but a better centerman, specifically . I also was being told how using Danault with Gallagher and Tatar was a f*** up from Julien and that Kotkaniemi would be more effective. Good times.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Another point tonight ...he shares the 20th rank for points by centre with Seguin, Monahan, Hertl. And just one point away of Strome, Bergeron, Horvat and Barzal . All those players are very good 3rd liners of course :sarcasm:
Just imagine if Monahan played with Tatar and Gally instead of those scrubs in Lindholm and Gaudreau who only managed to score a measly 178 points combined last year.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Do we have anybody else who can do the job? Wtf all these pages about Danault?
Don't you find it's a big waste of time? Like if the B plan was so easy? It's easy to have someone else that Danault? Oh yeah easy, you snap your fingers and here comes McKinnon.
NO EXCUSES

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I remember how last year I was being lectured how Max Domi was a better center than Danault. Not a better offensive forward, but a better centerman, specifically . I also was being told how using Danault with Gallagher and Tatar was a **** up from Julien and that Kotkaniemi would be more effective. Good times.

I wouldn't mind seeing how Domi and Gallagher would do together, as well as Tatar and Suzuki together, and then Danault with the Fins.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Danault will end up being our version of Kadri when the kids start growing up

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Another point tonight ...he shares the 20th rank for points by centre with Seguin, Monahan, Hertl. And just one point away of Strome, Bergeron, Horvat and Barzal . All those players are very good 3rd liners of course :sarcasm:
He's actually tied at no6 in even strenght points by a center with Matthews and Barkov... trailing only Draisaitl, McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel and Scheifele... but of course, he's a 3rd line center who's production is only the result of his two juggernault linemates who never scored more than 60pts in a season (and one was a cap dump in a trade)... the amount of stupidity on this board sometimes...

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
1. MB traded for him, actually stole him from CHI in one of the most lopsided trades in recent years.

2. He isn't young or foreign enough, and because he is french its automatically assumed he is the same as DD and stealing time from KK/Suzuki/Phoeling or whoever else is the darling of HF.

3. Fans are starved for an offensive player like the glory days and since Danault is an all around player he takes the brunt of it because of point 2. If only PD was on the 3rd line then we would have an offensive superpower 2nd line because Gally and Tatar are elite level 90 point guys carrying Danault to his pathetic 5 v 5 production.
i don't remember the last time fans of the forums used to love a french player ; Patrick Roy ?

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
He's actually tied at no6 in even strenght points by a center with Matthews and Barkov... trailing only Draisaitl, McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel and Scheifele... but of course, he's a 3rd line center who's production is only the result of his two juggernault linemates who never scored more than 60pts in a season (and one was a cap dump in a trade)... the amount of stupidity on this board sometimes...
yeah but ... he's the only one that plays with good linemates . No other teams put good players with their 1st or 2nd center :badidea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad