Player Discussion Phillip Danault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Can you explain why Barzal could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi ?
Can you explain why Pettersson could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Hischier could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Aho could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Toews could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Bergeron could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Monahan could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why PLD could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Larkin could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Barkov could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Draisaitl could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Kopitar could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Johansen could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Scheifele could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Backstrom could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Kuznetsov could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?

And I'd really like an answer, from anyone who thinks that Kotkaniemi would be in over his head in a top 6. I'd really like to know why it works EVERYWHERE ELSE but not in Montreal.
That's easy. Some of them didn't, and all of them were better players than Kotkaniemi was this year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Can't speak on behalf of all the other teams,but in Montreal,they have 2 centers that at this point more sound defensively than KK.

Okay, thats true, but when youre building a team you have to think of whats best for your team. Whats best isn't playing a 3C over your potential 1C.

On the comparisons, every single team also had centers more responsible, yet they choose to play the kids over them, and now look at where they are.
Barzal was on the same team as Tavares, didn't stop the Islanders from giving him the keys to the team. Pettersson had Horvat, etc... Theres plenty of examples of that.

Great examples, many didn’t even play in the nhl at 18, you are complaining on events that haven’t even happened yet. You have no clue what utilisation kk will have this year. Danault is a good two way 2c and should be utilised so

Well, first the excuse was that he was 18 and tired, now at 19 whats gonna be the excuse ? At 20 its gonna be that hes a winger ?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My god, the Desharnais haters have found a new scapegoat... Danault in the role of DD, and KK in the role of Eller as the victim of a French Canadian center who's getting too much icetime.

Funny how these are exactly the same posters as 5 years ago. There's a funny trend here... :help:
Do you want my full name so I get the Québécois pass ?

You know why this happens? It has nothing to do with the poster, but the treatment that les petits gars de chez nous get from this team. Danault and Desharnais play over their head and it should not happen. It's actually hurting the team.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Danault is a 3C, any team that has him in the top 6 is not a playoff team and if by some chance they squeeze in, they will be squeezed out in the first round.

Danault-Julien love affair will be our Achilles heal for many years to come still. Because Danault’s feelings will always be more important than Kotka and Poehling’s skills and competencies.

Reactions: Habs178

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Really people should get out of their heads that anyone "hates" a player. Nobody hates Danault, nobody hated Desharnais. People hate their usage because it hinders the team. It doesn't take away anything from the actual player, theyre just not as good as their usage suggest.

No team has ever won the stanley cup with a player of Danaults calibre on their second line, let alone their first, like we have.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I actually read somewhere that Julien wants Kotkaniemi and Poehling traded because they have never shown any commitment to play without the puck

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No idea. He might end up just as good as some of the players you listed. Doesn't mean he's ready for 20 minutes a night.
Why cant a player be good enough to play here but theyre good enough to play everywhere else ? Do you understand that development is a bell curve, and that ice-time and age are the two things that make the curve go up? Its an investment.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
No team has ever won the stanley cup with a player of Danaults calibre on their second line, let alone their first, like we have.

Nobody is denying that. But no team has ever won the cup with a player of Kotkaniemi's calibre either. As of today Danault is getting the best minutes, because he's our best centerman. Hopefully, when we're ready to compete, his usage will be that of a middle-six player and Kotkaniemi will have developed into a genuine #1 center.

Why cant a player be good enough to play here but theyre good enough to play everywhere else ? Do you understand that development is a bell curve, and that ice-time and age are the two things that make the curve go up? Its an investment.

He's not good enough to play 20 minutes in the NHL period. Not specifically for our team. If he proves ready for that kind of usage next season, it means we have a special talent on our hands. I'd be ecstatic if that happens. As far as this season is concerned, he was used exactly as he should have been.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Really people should get out of their heads that anyone "hates" a player. Nobody hates Danault, nobody hated Desharnais. People hate their usage because it hinders the team. It doesn't take away anything from the actual player, theyre just not as good as their usage suggest.

How about the 2013 Hawks winning with Handzus as their 2C? 16 points in 59 games, 3 points in the playoffs.

I guess you are technically right as Handzus was considerably worse than Danault, so he wasn't Danault's calibre.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I actually read somewhere that Julien wants Kotkaniemi and Poehling traded because they have never shown any commitment to play without the puck
If that were the case and I was the GM, I would kick him the f*** out.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nobody is denying that. But no team has ever won the cup with a player of Kotkaniemi's calibre either. As of today Danault is getting the best minutes, because he's our best centerman. Hopefully, when we're ready to compete, his usage will be that of a middle-six player and Kotkaniemi will have developed into a genuine #1 center.

He's not good enough to play 20 minutes in the NHL period. Not specifically for our team. If he proves ready for that kind of usage next season, it means we have a special talent on our hands. I'd be ecstatic if that happens. As far as this season is concerned, he was used exactly as he should have been.

But thats the thing man, when is the last time a player has ever progressed without being given an opportunity? Look at what happened to Danault when he got bumped to thr first line.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Can you explain why Barzal could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi ?
Can you explain why Pettersson could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Hischier could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Aho could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Toews could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Bergeron could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Monahan could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why PLD could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Larkin could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Barkov could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Draisaitl could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Kopitar could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Johansen could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Scheifele could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Backstrom could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?
Can you explain why Kuznetsov could play 20 minutes a night at 19 and not Kotkaniemi?

And I'd really like an answer, from anyone who thinks that Kotkaniemi would be in over his head in a top 6. I'd really like to know why it works EVERYWHERE ELSE but not in Montreal.

Very easy answer. The only one on this list that actually played 20 minutes a night at 19 is Kopitar.

Funny enough a couple of them weren't even in the NHL at 19 (Backstrom & Kuznetsov).

Then you have Johansen who played less Minutes/Game than KK when he was 19 and Scheifele who only played 7 games at 19 (at about 11 Minutes/Game).

Reactions: Archijerej

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Very easy answer. The only one on this list that actually played 20 minutes a night at 19 is Kopitar.

Funny enough a couple of them weren't even in the NHL at 19 (Backstrom & Kuznetsov).

Then you have Johansen who played less Minutes/Game than KK when he was 19 and Scheifele who only played 7 games at 19 (at about 11 Minutes/Game).
And what about the rest? Pettersson and Barzal?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
But thats the thing man, when is the last time a player has ever progressed without being given an opportunity? Look at what happened to Danault when he got bumped to thr first line.
For God's sake, he was a top-9 center on a playoff-calibre team as an 18 year old rookie. How's that not an opportunity? He was closely monitored and sheltered. He was given his countrymen as linemates. He was gradually feeded tougher assignments and powerplay minutes. Some he took advantage of, some he didn't. Overall, he had a very encouraging season. There is nothing to complain about here, really.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Don't feel like engaging in the Danault vs KK debate, but Danault is a 3rd line C. An elite one. We should be pushing to put him in the position he belongs in and will thrive in.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Don't feel like engaging in the Danault vs KK debate, but Danault is a 3rd line C. An elite one. We should be pushing to put him in the position he belongs in and will thrive in.
A 3rd line C cannot be elite, if you want to say hes one of the best of the 3C, Ill agree, but theres nothing elite about that

Otherwise I agree with what you are saying. But I wouldnt fall in love with him and sing him next time around if he wants to much dough.

Jul 6, 2016

It will come when KK will be ready to take more responsibilities. Can we be patient around here ?

malton

Feb 17, 2009
A 3rd line C cannot be elite, if you want to say hes one of the best of the 3C, Ill agree, but theres nothing elite about that

Otherwise I agree with what you are saying. But I wouldnt fall in love with him and sing him next time around if he wants to much dough.

I'll rephrase it. He is one of the best 3C's in the league. Will be a position of strength for us.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Do you want my full name so I get the Québécois pass ?

You know why this happens? It has nothing to do with the poster, but the treatment that les petits gars de chez nous get from this team. Danault and Desharnais play over their head and it should not happen. It's actually hurting the team.

It's funny that you're saying that because St. Louis just won the cup with a 2nd line offensive minded center (Schenn) who did... 1 more point than Danault. (in less games but with siimilar total ice time) Unlike Danault, he did that while playing regularly on the PP. And unlike Danault, he didn't finished 7th in Selke voting. He actually didn't get any consideration.

I you cannot admit that Danault played last season like a 2nd line center, and a pretty good one, then I'm sorry, but you are not objective. And it's getting pretty clear what exactly motivates such a bias, for those who have been reading you over the years.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
It will come when KK will be ready to take more responsibilities. Can we be patient around here ?

Hopefully he is given the chance one day. Patience is good, as long as there is a willingness to put him in the position to take the reins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad