Player Discussion Phillip Danault: What's My Line Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Hahahaha, you right, but he been touted as the local star, keeps hearing media say we need french players, so he thought he had all the bargaining chips. Only issue he forgot he no better then scott gomez, and to be fair to scott, he declined at a way later age then danault, and danault was never as good as scott at his peak.
I mean Gomez had wheels and was a better passer to be fair.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Its his last season in Montreal cent pour cent, this is beyond unacceptable production at this point and the "D" is practically non existent, he also seems much slower than he used to be

The only bummer is his trade value has plummeted most likely, so he probably walks for nothing, at least its money off the books, sigh

You really f***ed up bigtime phil, wow. Imagine he was locked up to that contract and still goal-less, could you imagine how worse we'd be freaking out lol, Gallagher actually has a couple goals and the contract is STILL an anchor already

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Its his last season in Montreal cent pour cent, this is beyond unacceptable production at this point and the "D" is practically non existent, he also seems much slower than he used to be

The only bummer is his trade value has plummeted most likely, so he probably walks for nothing, at least its money off the books, sigh

You really f***ed up bigtime phil, wow. Imagine he was locked up to that contract and still goal-less, could you imagine how worse we'd be freaking out lol, Gallagher actually has a couple goals and the contract is STILL an anchor already
Neither contract would be as bad as Price or Weber based on their performance. Anyways, I know I'm in the minority but I wouldn't mind giving him a 1 year 3.5 million contract to see if he can redeem himself. He was a good player for us for the past 2 seasons and I wouldn't be surprised if this is just an outlier for him. It's very odd that he suddenly became dog shit, because while he wasn't a superstar player, he's been much better than what he's showed this year. He might accept the 1 year to try and get close to that contract he wanted in the offseason for his next team.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Neither contract would be as bad as Price or Weber based on their performance. Anyways, I know I'm in the minority but I wouldn't mind giving him a 1 year 3.5 million contract to see if he can redeem himself. He was a good player for us for the past 2 seasons and I wouldn't be surprised if this is just an outlier for him. It's very odd that he suddenly became dog shit, because while he wasn't a superstar player, he's been much better than what he's showed this year. He might accept the 1 year to try and get close to that contract he wanted in the offseason for his next team.

I would give him 1 year at 3.5/4.5M, only if he's not stapled to one of our best four wingers next year. I want two top-6 wingers for KK and Suzuki, Danault can get the rest.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

If Webs retires in the next 2 years, isn't Nashville on the hook for the remainder of his contract? Did I read that somewhere?

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Smashville is on the hook for Weber's Cap Recapture Penalty if he retires before his contract is up, yup

At this rate, that could be around game 45.. the old boy doesn't look very energized out there.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
In our 10 game skid where we are 2-5-3, our leader in points is Danault despite playing no time on the PP. During that period, he has as many ES points as Suzuki and Kotkaniemi combined.

At combined ES/PP, he's playing about 2:30 less than Suzuki and about 1:30 more than Kotkaniemi.

We aren't struggling just because of Danault, it is also because after a hot start Suzuki/KK have struggled which is to be expected considering their minimal experience.

I get that KK doesn't have the greatest linemates, but if he wants to get more offensive opportunities he can't go 3 of the last 4 games without getting even 1 shot on net.

Pointless in 7 of last 10 games. And 2 of the 3 games he got points was against Ottawa.

pointless in 15 of 20 thi year. Gomez territory. He’ll get his 6.5M but for 3 years!

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario

man lmaoo this board would be going nuclear had that proposed extension was signed and he was playing like this

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I'd probably put Danault on the 3rd line with Armia and Lehkonen. Hopefully he can build his trade value back up but he can't continue being put on one of our top 2 lines

Reactions: HKbleu and BLONG7

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Been thinking about it. 3 years x 2.5 million. You wanted to risk it for the biscuit? You lost. That’s the new offer.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Pointless in 7 of last 10 games. And 2 of the 3 games he got points was against Ottawa.

pointless in 15 of 20 thi year. Gomez territory. He’ll get his 6.5M but for 3 years!

Kotkaniemi didn't even have a shot in 2 games against Ottawa. My point wasn't to praise Danault, it is that we need Suzuki and KK to be contributing if we want to be successful.

Suzuki spent time on the 4th line last year and he since made the most of his opportunities, as a result he's playing the most minutes amongst all of our forwards. Kotkaniemi has played almost 150 NHL games and one of our top 6 centres doesn't even have a goal, there is a big opportunity to move up in the lineup but putting up 2 points in 10 games won't help.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
His underlying numbers are strong. If we lose him we are in big trouble. Keep on keeping on and fix the overall team system and all else will follow. Of all the centers in the North he has the best Expected Goals % and up there in Goals For %. It's a shutdown/possession line, not a scoring line and one of the best three lines in the NHL the last three years. People need to add some nuance to their thinking.

He has ZERO f*****g goals dude

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Danault is lucky there are no fans in the stands to shout to him the Gomez treatment.
Now that I think of it, Price too.

Fun fact - I was at Sea World San Diego years ago, we pulled up to the ticket booth and the guy says 'you sound Canadian' blah blah the usual when we travel. He says 'you a Canadiens fan?' I say yeah, he says 'My nephew is Scott Gomez' and tells me about it.

Maybe that wasn't a fun fact, but it's the only Gomez story I have.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
His underlying numbers are strong. If we lose him we are in big trouble. Keep on keeping on and fix the overall team system and all else will follow. Of all the centers in the North he has the best Expected Goals % and up there in Goals For %. It's a shutdown/possession line, not a scoring line and one of the best three lines in the NHL the last three years. People need to add some nuance to their thinking.

Are you using stats from the last 3 seasons or from this season alone?

He hasn’t looked great this season, obviously hasn’t scored in forever, his stats are not good on important faceoffs (defensive zone, PK, the last OT), hasn’t looked good on the PK, and has made some questionable line changes (that don’t count against his stats). Going back the bubble, looking at the goals he’s been involved in, he has made only a handful of plays that have directly lead to goals.

As far as losing him, I don’t mind seeing the Habs keeping him at a reasonable salary hit, I think he can turn it around. But I’m happy that he turned down 6 years at $5 million per with the way he is playing.

But if you think he would be a big loss for the Habs what do you think Bergevin should offer him for a contract?

Last edited:

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I used to love what Danault did defensively to make up for his inability to produce offensively but honestly I haven't even seen that from him so far this season. This is the worst I've seen from him, thank god he rejected our offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->