Player Discussion Phillip Danault - Damn-oh ! Edition

During this 2018/2019 season where should be playing Phillip Danault?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
sure, give KK Tatar and Gallagher, and let Danault play with Lehkonen and the AHLer...

DONE!
(took me 10 sec to figure it out, typing included)
Don't agree. I don't think Kotka is ready for 2nd line duties and he is progressing just fine. No reason to push him too far too fast at his age. It's a long season for a kid his age and he will wear out.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Too insulate is To protect. That’s exactly what their doing to danault. If he plays with talentless wingers he’d have 4 pts cause danault himself is talentless

Why would they do that, why insulate Danault and let's say .....not insulate Peca, i would really like to know why you think they insulate Danault

The way i see it, there is no other solution than using Danault as 2C...... if the management think that an 18 years old need to be protected from having to play ahainst 1st or 2nd pairing D and 1 or 2C of the other teams, seems pretty obvious to me

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Why would they do that, why insulate Danault and let's say .....not insulate Peca, i would really like to know why you think they insulate Danault

The way i see it, there is no other solution than using Danault as 2C...... if the management think that an 18 years old need to be protected from having to play ahainst 1st or 2nd pairing D and 1 or 2C of the other teams, seems pretty obvious to me
It’s been done from day one. He’s always played with terrific wingers. Some of , if not our best
I don’t know why. They did he same with DD
Danault should be on the 3rd line. There’s no reason why KK shouldn’t be on the top 2 lines
18-20 year olds are now getting top minutes
Danault works hard , that’s great but he is talentless
When a guy has 1 goal in 24 games , that’s saying a lot

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

you guys liack imagination... it's like it would be impossible to give him better winger/s without having him face tougher assignments ? really ?

where does it says that if you switch Lehkonen/Gallagher for example you HAVE TO then give KK tougher matchups ?

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
I feel that no matter who do you play with Danault, he will get his 30-40 points. So give him 3rd liners like him and give Tatar and Gally to a better player...

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I feel that no matter who do you play with Danault, he will get his 30-40 points. So give him 3rd liners like him and give Tatar and Gally to a better player...
There’s no way danault would get points playing with Lehkonen and agostino during this stretch while Byron is out
Danault doesn’t make others around him better , they make him better

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
why blame danault ? not his fault if habs dont have any real centers in two first lines
I’m not blaming danault. I’m just saying he’s a run of the mill 3rd line centre with very little offensive skill
It’s the bergevins fault that danault is in way over his head

Reactions: bsl

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
I’m not blaming danault. I’m just saying he’s a run of the mill 3rd line centre with very little offensive skill
It’s the bergevins fault that danault is in way over his head

sure

i dont blame the guy

anyone in his position takes the money and runs

only in montreal would he have gotten this chance and $$

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
sure

i dont blame the guy

anyone in his position takes the money and runs

only in montreal would he have gotten this chance and $$
It’s not even the money. 3 million is pretty much average salary for an average pplayer nowadays
That’s what danault is. An average 3rd liner that needs terrific wingers to put up points

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
you guys liack imagination... it's like it would be impossible to give him better winger/s without having him face tougher assignments ? really ?

where does it says that if you switch Lehkonen/Gallagher for example you HAVE TO then give KK tougher matchups ?

Dont see the need to break Gally-Tatar duo, it's working just fine as it is, i'm sure KK will get the 2C role sooner than later, why would they rush it

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
It’s been done from day one. He’s always played with terrific wingers. Some of , if not our best

He started his 2nd season with us on the 4th line with Mitchel at C

I don’t know why. They did he same with DD

Dont know why you bring DD in the sonversation, DD and Danault have nothing in common 2 very different players

Danault should be on the 3rd line. There’s no reason why KK shouldn’t be on the top 2 lines

Agree that Phil would be perfect as a 3C when KK is ready, the difference between you and me on that is that i'm in no rush i think they are doing the right thing with KK right now

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
He started his 2nd season with us on the 4th line with Mitchel at C

Dont know why you bring DD in the sonversation, DD and Danault have nothing in common 2 very different players

Agree that Phil would be perfect as a 3C when KK is ready, the difference between you and me on that is that i'm in no rush i think they are doing the right thing with KK right now

DD needed terrific wingers to produce. Danault is the exact same. He’s played with Radulov, Pacioretty, Tatar and Gallagher. These are good wingers
Oh my apologies. We got danault at the deadline and he played 4th line for bit
Danault should never see the top 2 lines. He’s not even close to what Pleks was in his prime

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Dont see the need to break Gally-Tatar duo, it's working just fine as it is, i'm sure KK will get the 2C role sooner than later, why would they rush it
Both have seen their production drop. Habs losing 4 straight

Last edited:

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Both have seen their production drop. HABS listing 4 straight

You got a point there, Gally and Tatar are a little less productive lately but they still produce it's not like they went 6-7 games without scoring, every players except the McKinnon's McDavid's of the league goes trough that

My opinion is, i would not break that duo, if they go on a downfall production wise i would try KK with them , like i said earlier having KK take over Danault spot is a matter of time, just dont see the urgency of doing it

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
HF needs to get rid of this idea like years ago that:

Goalscorer - Goalscorer - Goalscorer
Goalscorer - Goalscorer - Goalscorer

Defence - Defense - Defence
Grinder - Grinder - Grinder

/QUOTE]
Why should we get rid of a good idea? Habs have has absolutely shitty gaols scoring centres for years. How much success has that brought them?

I could not disagree more with your post. Hockey is not about defense first. It's about scoring goals to win the game. If Habs iced a lineup as you show above they would be a contender.

Go look at Guy Carbonneau's junior stats. And the crucial goals he constantly scored for Habs. Then look at Danault.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You got a point there, Gally and Tatar are a little less productive lately but they still produce it's not like they went 6-7 games without scoring, every players except the McKinnon's McDavid's of the league goes trough that

My opinion is, i would not break that duo, if they go on a downfall production wise i would try KK with them , like i said earlier having KK take over Danault spot is a matter of time, just dont see the urgency of doing it
Urgency ? More like theres no reason to wait imo.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
No reason to mess with it because we don't have a 2C to put in there... There's no current solution to put Danault on the 3rd line so that's why it is the way it is. I think Kotka should stay where he is and come along slowly. It's a long season for a young kid.
I am not demanding that KK be put on the second line right now. I'm just saying that Danault is evidently not a goal scorer and should not be playing top 2C going forward. And there are some people here who seem to think he should. I don't know why. In my opinion lack of goal scoring from their centres has been the Habs most serious problem for at least ten years. I pointed this out 9 years ago here. I cannot understand how some people don't understand this. I think it might have to do with age.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Better than MacKinnon? That's seriously how you interpreted this article? Because, just so you know, that's not what it was saying or what it was about. It's just a well-written analysis on the lines that have have been extremely effective this year. Demonstrating in more details why those of us who actually know the game have enjoyed this line all year and are bemused by the few people throwing tantrums because of this excellent coaching decision.

I liked that article. I thought it did a great job of explaining why Danault's line has been so effective this year (mod)
Geez I guess watching Habs and other teams for 45 years and playing the game and noticing that all successful teams have centres that score goals, with players like Jaques Lemaire, and Selke winners like Guy Carbonneau , Anze Kopitar ,Pavel Datsyuk and Steve Yzerman means jack shit. Damn. I just don't know the game I guess.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
I am not demanding that KK be put on the second line right now. I'm just saying that Danault is evidently not a goal scorer and should not be playing top 2C going forward. And there are some people here who seem to think he should. I don't know why. In my opinion lack of goal scoring from their centres has been the Habs most serious problem for at least ten years. I pointed this out 9 years ago here. I cannot understand how some people don't understand this. I think it might have to do with age.

Does anyone here really buy Danault as a top 6 C? I think there's more of a question about if it's the right time to move Kotkaniemi up. It's been debated non-stop here and I don't want to do to the Danault thread what I helped do to the Kotkaniemi thread but I think almost everyone knows that having Danault in your top 6 means you're at best a pretender. He's not good enough. I think Jesperi looked like the 3 games in 4 nights wore him down a bit and it might be best to just let Danault take that role for at least through the all-star break or so of this season and ease Kotkaniemi into it but make no mistake, I don't think Danault is the answer and I can't wait for the day they put Kotkaniemi in that role full time and he's legitimately ready to handle it.

Reactions: bsl

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I’m going to regret this, but has there ever been a 1st line center that has only scored 1’goal in his first 20 or so games in the history of the NHL?
Gomez probably. Or DD. Ongoing issue much? MB is a Pejorative Slur. He should have identified and acted on this problem immediately he was hired. It should have been his highest priority. Not Danault's fault at all. Its all on MB.

Reactions: cphabs and Zorba

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Geez I guess watching Habs and other teams for 45 years and playing the game and noticing that all successful teams have centres that score goals, with players like Jaques Lemaire, and Selke winners like Guy Carbonneau , Anze Kopitar ,Pavel Datsyuk and Steve Yzerman means jack ****. Damn. I just don't know the game I guess.

I'm pretty sure you're convinced you were refuting my post but I'm not seeing it. Good for you playing the game, but why are you bringing Datsyuk, Yzerman, Kopitar, etc... into it? Are you under the impression Danault is stealing ice time from Kopitar? BTW, since you mention him... he and Danault both have the same number of points, 13. That's despite Kopitar having optimal matchups, more ice time, better wingers and more powerplay time.

But anyways, back to the point: which is that this article showcases statistically why Danault's line is one of the most effective of the entire NHL this year. One of the rare positives with this tea, somehow turned into a negative for pretty suspicious reasons...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad