Player Discussion Phillip Danault part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I don't see him as a number 1 center. He's number 1 in ice time because he's facing the opposition's #1 line. But he doesn't get the best offensive wingers and he gets 0 pp time.

It's like when Esa Tikanen used to shadow Gretzky. He may have gotten the most ice time. But that didn't make him a first line player.

I think it's becoming more and more clear to all, as it always was to many, that he's a shutdown 3c - who should probably get the most ice time on many nights, since he should be matched against the opposition's top offensive line. I suppose that is odd in the sense that, we don't see that that much right now in the NHL.
I didn't say he was a number one center. He's anything but that. But here you can say he is. And right now its working in the playoffs. He gets the most ice time of our centers. He's probably one of the best swiss army knifes in the NHL.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
He hasn't been our 1C for a while now, Suzuki fills that gap. But til Kotkaniemi is consistent enough to play as a 2C, Danault still won't really be in the right chair, a pretty much 'elite' 3C.

Can't wait to see how the negotiations will go, cause yeah, he's elite in his role, but he's still a borderline 40pts defensive 3C.
Would you say Danault was more valuable in beating the Leafs than Suzuki or KK. Of course you would. He's our number one center. People hate on him because we're poor in that area but when you add it all up that's what he is.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Would you say Danault was more valuable in beating the Leafs than Suzuki or KK. Of course you would. He's our number one center. People hate on him because we're poor in that area but when you add it all up that's what he is.
No way we can say Phil is our #1 he is our #3 and everyone knows it. He is another guy who's mistakes can be covered up by a goalie.
Phil is not even 2 way centre this year, his numbers suck. He is a very very good shutdown centre.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
No way we can say Phil is our #1 he is our #3 and everyone knows it. He is another guy who's mistakes can be covered up by a goalie.
Phil is not even 2 way centre this year, his numbers suck. He is a very very good shutdown centre.
You just cant wrap your mind around it.

Why dont you tell us who's been a more valuable center and why.

Reactions: canucklover123

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I didn't say he was a number one center. He's anything but that. But here you can say he is. And right now its working in the playoffs. He gets the most ice time of our centers. He's probably one of the best swiss army knifes in the NHL.

I'm saying just because he gets the most ice time, doesn't make him a number 1 center.

He doesn't play on the pp. He doesn't get the best wingers. He gets the most ice time only because he's being matched against the opposition's top lines. I don't think that alone makes him the number 1 center.

This year, Toffoli > Gallagher. For now, whoever plays with Toffoli is the number 1 center. Very soon, it will be Caufield.

But, imo, Danault should play with Evans, lehk, and Byron. Gallagher should play with Suzuki or KK.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

In what world a 40pts center in the regular season and has 1 assist in 9 games in the playoffs is a 1C ?

That's not hate, just common sense.

Reactions: EXPOS123

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Phil would have been a great rover back in the day when they played 7v7. Great last few games btw, well played. Still generates no offense so that slots him 2c at best, and 3c on the type of team I wish we could watch play. Evans and Suzuki seem just as good over 200 ft plus they generate more. I really like him at 3c.

“In 1923, both the PCHA and the WCHL decided to drop the rover position, as it was seen to be crowding the ice and therefore reducing the speed of play.[1] With the decision to remove the rover, it disappeared from professional hockey forever.”

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I'm saying just because he gets the most ice time, doesn't make him a number 1 center.

He doesn't play on the pp. He doesn't get the best wingers. He gets the most ice time only because he's being matched against the opposition's top lines. I don't think that alone makes him the number 1 center.

This year, Toffoli > Gallagher. For now, whoever plays with Toffoli is the number 1 center. Very soon, it will be Caufield.

But, imo, Danault should play with Evans, lehk, and Byron. Gallagher should play with Suzuki or KK.
The most ice time is the first center. Period.
If there's another cente able to play more minutes, he's the first center. Period.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Phil would have been a great rover back in the day when they played 7v7. Great last few games btw, well played. Still generates no offense so that slots him 2c at best, and 3c on the type of team I wish we could watch play. Evans and Suzuki seem just as good over 200 ft plus they generate more. I really like him at 3c.

“In 1923, both the PCHA and the WCHL decided to drop the rover position, as it was seen to be crowding the ice and therefore reducing the speed of play.[1] With the decision to remove the rover, it disappeared from professional hockey forever.”
Great to have the rover player in the topic. It's back in 1923, so pertinent in the topic.
Btw, did you know Bruce Lee have a vegan brother? He's Broco Lee.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Great to have the rover player in the topic. It's back in 1923, so pertinent in the topic.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I never saw in my life of hockey Habs fan a shut down center having more ice time than the offensives players. Did Carbonneau had more ice time than Bobby Smith? Did Jarvis had more ice time than Lemaire? Did Gilles Tremblay had more ice time than Béliveau?
No.

The fact is : Suzuki and KK are too young to have more ice time. They haven't reach yet the talent and domination of their opponents like Béliveau, Lemaire, B Smith or Damphousse did in their prime. We have Danauly having the most ice time actually and he makes the team win. Winning is the ultimate goal, no matter Danault haters analyse it. The coach decided having Danault the most ice time and he won vs the Leafs with Matthews the best scorer of the season. Matthews is not a little player easy to shut down, he is 6'3" 220 lbs. And Danault shut down McDavid all season long.

Danault is Habs #1 center. Period.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
You just cant wrap your mind around it.

Why dont you tell us who's been a more valuable center and why.
Sorry, we both will have to agree............you don't see my side either.
Both KK and Suzuki are more valuable because they CAN play on both sides of the ice. Phil can only play on one side, and again he is awesome at that side of the ice. He is the perfect 3rd line C.
Again, just like in the Price thread, you and I will agree to disagree.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I never saw in my life of hockey Habs fan a shut down center having more ice time than the offensives players. Did Carbonneau had more ice time than Bobby Smith? Did Jarvis had more ice time than Lemaire? Did Gilles Tremblay had more ice time than Béliveau?
No.

The fact is : Suzuki and KK are too young to have more ice time. They haven't reach yet the talent and domination of their opponents like Béliveau, Lemaire, B Smith or Damphousse did in their prime. We have Danauly having the most ice time actually and he makes the team win. Winning is the ultimate goal, no matter Danault haters analyse it. The coach decided having Danault the most ice time and he won vs the Leafs with Matthews the best scorer of the season. Matthews is not a little player easy to shut down, he is 6'3" 220 lbs. And Danault shut down McDavid all season long.

Danault is Habs #1 center. Period.
The number one C has ZERO goals in these playoffs...........................how many games can we win with that?
The shutodwn centre who plays on a team that takes a defence first approach is always going to have more TOI. That's a total coaching philosophy.
Scotty Bowman also did this only Lemaire was a fantastic 2 way player.
Phil is NOT a two way player, he is a ONE way player, and is very good at it. It's ok to admit it.
The other teams are trying to win, so they put their BEST player out, and we counter with our BEST defensive player, hence the TOI for Phil. Of course this is who we counter with.....
Two sides to a coin guys.............

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

It took all of the Habs centres playing well to beat the Leafs and it’s hard for me to say who was the most valuable. All of them played a key part.

Danault played a really big part shutting down the Leafs top players, which is very hard to do. He also took key defensive zone faceoffs. In the three elimination games (games 5-7) he was 57% on the faceoff dot and was only on the ice for 1 goal against. He lead the Habs’ centres in ice time in those 3 games with just over 21 minutes per game.

Suzuki scored the OT winner in game 5, if he doesn’t bury that puck are the Habs still playing (yes it was a great play by Caufield as well). He also set-up Toffoli in game 6 to make it 2-0. In game 7 he was a key part in making it 2-0 with his shot off of Perry’s knee.

Kotkaniemi, on the forecheck, forced a turnover and scored a goal to make it 3-0 in game 5. That was a big goal considering the Leafs scored 3 more after that to take it to OT. In game 6 he scored the OT winner, at that point the Habs were hanging on in OT being outshot 13-1. KK scored on only their 2nd shot of the OT period 15:15 in.

The Staal line with Armia and Perry has really stepped up big time. Staal made a key play in game 7 to force a turnover on Marner that lead to Gallagher scoring to make it 1-0. He had 3 points in those 3 elimination games.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Arguing who is #1C based on strictly TOI is ridiculous, IMO. Danault is likely a #2 C in a shutdown role right now and iclearly sn't bringing the offensive production of a solid two-way C. However, slotting KK in a 3rd line role against the opposition that comes from that is providing the opportunity to make up for the offensive lapses of Danault while allowing him to shut down the best offensive production from our opponents.

As long as we keep winning, I have no argument against this approach. I also won't lose my time -- like some -- manufacturing excuses to try and explain how Danault still sucks as he plays an important role on the team.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
The number one C has ZERO goals in these playoffs...........................how many games can we win with that?
The shutodwn centre who plays on a team that takes a defence first approach is always going to have more TOI. That's a total coaching philosophy.
Scotty Bowman also did this only Lemaire was a fantastic 2 way player.
Phil is NOT a two way player, he is a ONE way player, and is very good at it. It's ok to admit it.
The other teams are trying to win, so they put their BEST player out, and we counter with our BEST defensive player, hence the TOI for Phil. Of course this is who we counter with.....
Two sides to a coin guys.............
But we win. And Phil get the most ice time. And we win.
Do we have a real number one center in your definition of a #1 center able to play 25 minutes like Matthews played? You might say TO coach didn't have a good strategy but he lost Tavares and he almost won over the Habs. Almost but didn't. Thing is, Matthews and Marner looked like they played poorly, mainly because of the great shut down play of Danault and Gallagher.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
considering he does ONE thing well, wich is defending, he's more like a butter knive.

Reactions: azcanuck

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Arguing who is #1C based on strictly TOI is ridiculous, IMO. Danault is likely a #2 C in a shutdown role right now and iclearly sn't bringing the offensive production of a solid two-way C. However, slotting KK in a 3rd line role against the opposition that comes from that is providing the opportunity to make up for the offensive lapses of Danault while allowing him to shut down the best offensive production from our opponents.

As long as we keep winning, I have no argument against this approach. I also won't lose my time -- like some -- manufacturing excuses to try and explain how Danault still sucks as he plays an important role on the team.
Always arguing about the ranking number Danault is supoposed to be. This board have a fixation about the rankling of centers, I mean, that's an obsession. He was a #3 center by most of posters and in your post he is a #2 center. Did I upgraded the ranking number of Phil just with my posts? lol. I made him move from 3 to 2, jeez, what's in my coffee of this morning?

Reactions: BLONG7

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The most ice time is the first center. Period.
If there's another cente able to play more minutes, he's the first center. Period.

Fair enough we're in total disagreement. Period.

For example, Esa tikanen, when he was shadowing Gretzky in the playoffs, may have gotten the most ice time. But that didn't make him a first line forward.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Topic is Phil Danault, no? Do you not get the parallel with a former position in hockey where a player used their speed and skill so smother gameplay? He’s got skills, not skills I would pay a ticket to watch. I feel it should be a marginal role in hockey to be a pure, one-way shut down center. It means you don’t have a single athlete on your team can go head to head with the opposing’s best if that guy has the most ice time every night.. That’s not a knock on Phil. It makes the game meh.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
it's not an opportunity when you HAVE to do ALL the offensive production you know...

And its not a burden when you have to produce when given the opportunity to do so lol.

They are supposed to win their matchups and they did....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad