Player Discussion Phillip Danault part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
it's great that Danault can shut down other teams best players, but...

given the fact he can't score and produce offensively in the PO, it's not a bonus it's a must, he is putting pressure on other C like KK/Suzie to create all the offense...

Or he's giving them more opportunity to produce seeing as they dont have to focus on defending top tier players as much...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Internal growth will not be enough for next season, when we're back playing in our normal division.
Well that will be true if we keep delaying it yes.

A good way to aid in slowing that process is re-signing Danault to a 5M+ per year contract that forces you keep playing him at the expense of further development.

Meanwhile, the clock on Weber, Petry and Price is ticking. For all we know, Jake Evans might be done as an effective NHLer. Remember what happened with Byron, almost overnight, when he got concussed? It's the third head injury in three seasons for Evans.
The clock for Weber, Price and Petry ticks at the same speed as it does for all other players on this team.

As for Evans...he's gonna be just fine.

So, we are left with outside help to replace Danault. Who is available in the UFA market after Lowry got re-signed? I don't see sufficient quality there.

We can make a trade, but teams usually don't give away middle-6 C for peanuts. So is it worth paying the price only to save 1,5 million on a player that's demonstrably elite at what he does?
There's a price point for Danault... hopefully it falls with what both parties deem acceptable.

If not...Habs will have to move on and life will go on.

Again...I really like Danault...but I'm not going to be held hostage with any player on this team. They've been mediocre as best during that time, no one on the team is untouchable/essential.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Ive decided...

he can have the ~5 mill. lol.

but as long as he KNOWS come playoff time youre the shutdown 3C like THIS and dont f***ing whine about having an evans or a lehky on your line

5 mill is only just 2 mill more than what hes already getting, and we'll be worse without him..so f*** it..take it phil. congrats

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
There's a price point for Danault... hopefully it falls with what both parties deem acceptable.

If not...Habs will have to move on and life will go on.
This I agree with. The plan B you described will need to be implemented regardless of our intentions in case when Danault prices himself out.

Reactions: 417

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Ive decided...

he can have 5 mill. lol.

but as long as he KNOWS come playoff time youre the shutdown 3C like THIS and dont f***ing whine about having an evans or a lehky on your line

5 mill is only just 2 mill more than what hes already getting, and we'll be worse without him..so f*** it..take it phil. congrats

During the season I proposed that the Habs should offer him a 5.5-6 mil X 2y contract on the assumption that KK will be bridged. Habs have the cap space going forward to comfortably do it and it offers Poehling and Evans 2 more years to assume the responsibilities going forward and Danault can re-up for long term somewhere at 30 when the pandemic has cooled down

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This I agree with. The plan B you described will need to be implemented regardless of our intentions in case when Danault prices himself out.
I feel like Suzuki and Kotkaniemi have each served a fruitful internship under danault the last 2-3 years....learned a ton.

I wouldn't be against having them take on additional duties next year, in fact, I think it's the next natural step in their development.

Last edited:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I feel like Suzuki and Kotkaniemi had each served a fruitful internship under danault the last 2-3 years....learned a ton.

I wouldn't be against having them take on additional duties next year, in fact, I think it's the next natural step in their development.

...hence paying Danault $5 mill+ on a deal is foolish...if he comes in around $4 mill, then it's palatable for a few years...

Reactions: 417

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think Danault fits on the Habs really well due to the lack of superstars up front. We can't fight skill with skill against other teams in the playoffs because we'd get smoked. However, if we do shutdown vs skill, we can limit the skill and have the other 3 lines match up against the opposing teams other 3 liens that will be weaker.

I'm still not sure I buy that contract rumor, to me Phil seems like a good guy and his comments were kinda taken out of place in the playoffs last year imo. Bergevin knows he's a key part of the team, but I still don't think Phil will want to squeeze out every last dollar from him. I expect something along the lines of 4-4.5x4. He could probably get 5.5x5 elsehwere, but I think he wants to be with us. The team speaks very highly of him.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
It's unfortunate Mark Scheiffle had to go do something outrageous so he didn't have to play Phil :(

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
or puts them in an opportunity to produce and not have to defend....

Except they still have to defend. In fact if you look at their offensize zone start % from the regular season to the playoffs, they are defending more, Suzuki taking the brunt of that burden.
Suzuki 56.0% in the regular season 47.9% in the playoffs
Kotkaniemi 55.7% in the regular season 54.5% in the playoffs
Staal 47.2% in the regular season 43.4% in the playoffs

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Except they still have to defend. In fact if you look at their offensize zone start % from the regular season to the playoffs, they are defending more, Suzuki taking the brunt of that burden.
Suzuki 56.0% in the regular season 47.9% in the playoffs
Kotkaniemi 55.7% in the regular season 54.5% in the playoffs
Staal 47.2% in the regular season 43.4% in the playoffs

Now imagine that but having the Additional burden of playing tougher competition.
That’s my point.

we’ve now played two teams that have essentially near zero depth other than one line. They should capitalize on that, which they have been doing lately

Reactions: dralaf

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Now imagine that but having the Additional burden of playing tougher competition.
That’s my point.

we’ve now played two teams that have essentially near zero depth other than one line. They should capitalize on that, which they have been doing lately

It would be a lot easier to face that addition burden of tougher competition if the most center actually produced offensively.

And I would also note if they can't handle facing tough competition and still produce then we won't have any success as a team and would need to rebuild and find players that can face tough opposition and still produce.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
I don't think you can sign him for less than 5 mil and he'll for sure get that on the market after his playoff performances.
Many teams will see him as a missing piece needed to win.
let someone else overpay for a shutdown player, without price, danault is not looking like such a great shutdown player, acquire some offensive free agent, price can use the offensive help especially next year in the playoffs, also you need offense to make the playoffs, this habs team has been very fortunate to simply be able to play in the last 2 cup tournaments, better teams are not in the tournament due to covid and the temporary re-alignment, next season division alignment is back to normal, danault and the rest of the habs will not look so good finishing only ahead of Buffalo during the regular season,

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ive decided...

he can have the ~5 mill. lol.

This how I see it. Except if he gets a big AAV, the term should come down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->