Player Discussion Phillip Danault part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Since is defensive performence in the playoffs... How much do you think he will got next years?

Do you give him 5.75?
Why would you give 5.75m to a player with 0 offensive skill who should play on the third line? Pageau got 5m and can score goals 20 a season and play on the powerplay when covid was not a thing.

4M should be the maximum or seriously out.

Last edited:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
@abo9
Don't even bother talking about Danault being the point of shutting down the big guns. It was not even him. Just more agenda to keep him at a terrible salary and people are buying it.

His goals were so clutch in OT , oh wait he did not score in 11 games and has 1 assist because of a brawl in the net. Totally deserves 6m for 7 years for such skills.

Also couldnt win a faceoff for his life at the most important moment against the leafs. nuff said let it go

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Lol my blood boils when I see people saying AM and Marner did nothing because they chocked or because Danault "neutralized" them, but the first group don't want to accept that Price was THAT good, the second group don't want to accept that Danault is not a GOD defensively.

In fact, I looked it up before the Jets series, and Matthews' metrics were up double or triple in every category in the playoffs (did not check Marner). AM showed up big time, but he was also stopped big time by Carey Price.

Full stop on the bolded. You accuse someone to cherry pick stats when you state:

Ok so
1) 26/7 = 3.7, not 3.5 shots per game
2) you cherry picked 5v5 stats. AM shot at a 4.26 shots per game TOTAL in the RS, not too far from his playoffs 5v5... that same metrics goes up to 5 shots per game in the playoffs if you count every situation
A drop from 17.6 S% to 3% is not just "playoff numbers are lower" lol.
3) AM absolutely played great these playoffs. Tripled his number of hits (physically involved), doubled his takeaways, while reducing giveaways, and nearly double the blocked shots (defensive involvement). Oh yeah, his faceoff % was also up from 51% to 55%, and everyone now praises Danault for being so effective in the dot against Matthews?

The eye test matches up too, but that's subjective so I won't comment on the multiple shots from AM from the circles or in the slot, where Price rarely (if any?) gave a rebound.

Of course, since Danault was matched to Matthews all series long, his defensive stats will look glorious...
If we had lost. nobody would talk about Danault neutralizing AM and Marner. In fact, it was not even a topic of discussion before the game 7 win. Most people on here were on agreement that he had not showed up.

That said, I thought he played great against Winnipeg, and we really need him to keep playing great if we want a chance to win the next series. Him and Gallagher (and everyone) need to keep playing their best hockey and we have a chance.

Just a tad concerning you went into this depth to be completely wrong :laugh:

1 - First to discredit everything you said, picking 5 on 5 stats is not cherry picking LMFAO, I actually can't believe you said that.
AM had 26 shots at 5 on 5, he shoots a career PO% at 9.5% (this percentage doesnt at all take into consideration the relative danger of every shot but I will appeal to you last glimmer of argument. That means at 5 on 5 , he would be expecting around 2.47G throughout the whole series...... Ya so lets end that narrative.

2 - Did you actually try to convince me AM played better by telling me he hit more, blocked more shots and had more takeaways than his norm????? That means were crediting AM, the best goal scorer this season to have his play resemble a 3rd LINE checker lmao (theres gotta be some irony there with Danault lool)

All those dumb stats showed me, is he he had the puck less than he was required to have it :laugh:

3 - Ummm so youre saying because Danault played against him the most, his stats look glorious? Shouldn't you believe that avgs that you presented that if AM34 played more and more, his stats would look better and better, seeing as youre saying his stats this year are an anomaly from his norm.

So ya, three awful takes. Carrying on

Last edited:

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
@abo9
Don't even bother talking about Danault being the point of shutting down the big guns. It was not even him. Just more agenda to keep him at a terrible salary and people are buying it.

His goals were so clutch in OT , oh wait he did not score in 11 games and has 1 assist because of a brawl in the net. Totally deserves 6m for 7 years for such skills.

Also couldnt win a faceoff for his life at the most important moment against the leafs. nuff said let it go
No but according to Sheifele it’s Danault’s fault Evans got hurt. Or maybe I read the tweet wrong.
For real though I thought Phil was getting trampled for a bit against Toronto and really picked it up as the playoffs went on. Evans and Lehkonen left wing can’t hurt if you’re playing shut-down either.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
@abo9

He went 57% in Game 7 :sarcasm:

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Here's a poster who just cant wrap his mind around the fact Danault is the top dog center RIGHT NOW on this team. Maybe KK and Suzuki pass him next year or year after but until they do Danault is the guy the coach is sending over the boards in the playoffs to WIN.
He is not a traditional two way center but where he does break the mold a bit is he does a great job at puck retrieval and possession, this keeping the chances down for guys like Matthews and Marner. Too bad Danault cant finish his plays or pass better no doubt but he's getting it done and that's all that matters.
And I agree he is a perfect third line center on a team like Colorado who has McKinnon. But we dont.

I swear people think we have Sid and Malkin at 1 and 2 C :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
No but according to Sheifele it’s Danault’s fault Evans got hurt. Or maybe I read the tweet wrong.
For real though I thought Phil was getting trampled for a bit against Toronto and really picked it up as the playoffs went on. Evans and Lehkonen left wing can’t hurt if you’re playing shut-down either.

Credit goes to Gally as well, who picked up his intensity ten fold later in the series and the current one

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Good segment with Ray Ferraro. They talk about Danault and his upcoming contract with around 6:45 to go. Ferraro does bring up 4 years at $4.5 million AAV. They also talk about the Habs victory, playing against Vegas or Colorado, the Habs future, etc.

If we can get that done at 4.5X4, that would be sweet

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
You mean the game leaf didnt show , now go look at game 6 where Price saved our ass and look at his % in the defensive zone during that OT , if im not wrong he was like 1/8.

It's okay tho. He's a top 6 center with no offensive skill , let's give him the big payroll!

There's always a reason eh :naughty:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Why would you give 5.75m to a player with 0 offensive skill who should play on the third line? Pageau got 5m and can score goals 20 a season and play on the powerplay when covid was not a thing.

4M should be the maximum or seriously out.
Pageau has 11 points in 11 games.
38 in 68 in his career.

I think its time we stopped comparing these guys, not in the same ball park.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Good segment with Ray Ferraro. They talk about Danault and his upcoming contract with around 6:45 to go. Ferraro does bring up 4 years at $4.5 million AAV. They also talk about the Habs victory, playing against Vegas or Colorado, the Habs future, etc.

4.5 is acceptable especially for four years.

Anything over that is a no for me.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Here's a poster who just cant wrap his mind around the fact Danault is the top dog center RIGHT NOW on this team. Maybe KK and Suzuki pass him next year or year after but until they do Danault is the guy the coach is sending over the boards in the playoffs to WIN.
He is not a traditional two way center but where he does break the mold a bit is he does a great job at puck retrieval and possession, this keeping the chances down for guys like Matthews and Marner. Too bad Danault cant finish his plays or pass better no doubt but he's getting it done and that's all that matters.
And I agree he is a perfect third line center on a team like Colorado who has McKinnon. But we dont.

Suzuki already surpassed him, he's way better offensively and he's splendid in his own zone.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
@abo9

It just... what really annoys me is how the narrative changed so fast between the start and end of game 7. There was one story before game 7, and it was Price. But suddenly we win game 7, and then Danault is credited for shutting down the Leafs offense? I don't watch TV or check facebook, is this pushed by TVA and RDS?

What's really disconcerting is some people still calling him the "Top dog center in Montreal" just a page ago. Suzuki CLEARLY passed him, clean and dry a much better player. I won't even bring Evans and Kotkaniemi into the discussion as those are debatable still, but Danault is clearly our 2C at best.

$4, $4.5M would be good. I hope MB Radulov'd or Markov'd him. Don't budge on his price, sign Danault for as cheap as you can or let go. It was a mistake then but would not be now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad