Player Discussion Phillip Danault II: 2nd C? edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I don't look strictly at points and let's face it 23 pts in 40 some odd games is not what we need from a top centerman.
His impact on the end result hasn't been the same IMO.
Except he has been playing 2C this year.

Nobody expects him to be a top centerman.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
How does 2C=top centerman? How do you qualify that?

So we always refer to the Top 5 ???
Each team is attempting to find two scoring lines hence top 6.
The parts are often interchangeable as it was with Danault.
He had his fair share of top line minutes.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
So we always refer to the Top 5 ???
Each team is attempting to find two scoring lines hence top 6.
The parts are often interchangeable as it was with Danault.
He had his fair share of top line minutes.
I mean, to most people, a top centerman in the league would amount to top 10, 15 or 30 centres. Not go all the way to 60.

He barely played top minutes, that responsability was handled by another miscast in Drouin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I mean, to most people, a top centerman in the league would amont to top 10, 15 or 30 centres. Not go all the way to 60.

He barely played top minutes, that responsability was handled by another miscast in Drouin.

True...
The actual stats at a cursory glance has Drouin at 14:00 and Danault at 13:50. I'm sure if we went game by game these two would be flip flopping depending.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Danault produces about 10 more points per year. Danault is pretty much in the 2nd liner category, Eller is in the 3rd line but can fill in on the 2nd.

Danault doesn't produce as much in a bottom six role. The fact he gets to play over his head in Montréal doesn't make him a de facto 2nd line center.

He had 10 points in 51 games in 2015-2016 playing on the bottom six in Chicago/Montréal.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
And he would have produced 40 points from the bottom six last year you think?

He actually produced at the same pace on the third line with Byron that he did on the first line with Pacioretty. His production didn't spike or anything. It was around the same.

Which makes him a decent player to have on your third line in that you don't need him for the powerplay to produce.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
He actually produced at the same pace on the third line with Byron that he did on the first line with Pacioretty. His production didn't spike or anything. It was around the same.

Which makes him a decent player to have on your third line in that you don't need him for the powerplay to produce.

I'll believe it when he does it over a full season.

I don't see him being a 40+ points player if he gets used in the same role as Eller used to be.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I'll believe it when he does it over a full season.

I don't see him being a 40+ points player if he gets used in the same role as Eller used to be.

I can't remember when he moved to the top line, I think it was in January, but here were his numbers:

October - December: 23 points in 37 games
January: 11 points in 14 games
February - April: 13 points in 31 games

So depending on when he was put with Pacioretty and Radulov, he was doing better on the third line. He had an atrocious February (3 assists in 13 games) and I'm positive he was on the top line then.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Danault doesn't produce as much in a bottom six role. The fact he gets to play over his head in Montréal doesn't make him a de facto 2nd line center.

He had 10 points in 51 games in 2015-2016 playing on the bottom six in Chicago/Montréal.

Let's also remember that it was danault playing very well on the 4th line that catapulted him in the lineup last season. At that point, he didn't even have a permanent spot in the lineup. He's come along since the habs acquired him, and he's a good 3rd liner on a competitive team.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'd probably trade Danault for D help and have someone else there.

He is a bit overqualified for 4th line C imo. I actually think he could be a #3 on a contender. I was an Eller fan and I'd take Danault over him any day. Mind you I haven't seen Eller 2.0 so maybe that's a different story but Danault is far better than Eller was for the Habs.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Dont say this too loud the Eller gang will eat you up.

I left it once it became a cult.

hahaha. I was definitely a big fan and I should elaborate that partial season Eller was better than Danault. It looked like it was going to be Eller's coming out party. The Gryba hit could've derailed that but that's mere speculation. Either way, even in Danault having to play over his station I'd take him over Eller.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Would rather have Eller in a bottom six role, Danault is the better playmaker and offensive guy tho

I liked Danault on the wing. Assuming we ever have three centers better than him, thats where I'd put him. His speed and smarts make him lethal as a middle six guy.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Danault is playing well and may in fact turn into an effective 2C. He is one now and he remains so if he can keep it up.

He's a good example of the value of development. The Habs gave him the ice time and linemates that he needed to improve

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->