Phillip Danault, first line center : is there a similar case?

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Nugent-Hopkins and Duchene have less points than him while getting power play minutes. 40 points at his first complete NHL Season i'll gladly take him in my team .

Future David Backes !
you mean the Duchene thats on a historically bad NHL team and the RNH thats shooting at wayy below his career avg and having a down year? wow. such high comparisons

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Nugent-Hopkins and Duchene have less points than him while getting power play minutes. 40 points at his first complete NHL Season i'll gladly take him in my team .

Future David Backes !

He does not play like Backes at all. He's much less physical.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Schmaltz will likely be better in the long run, but right now it's Danault.

It's without a doubt Schmaltz. Watch the kid play. He has something like 22 points in his past 25 games. And he has only played 58 games this season to PD's 79...

Schmaltz is the better player now, and will be the better player moving forward. Don't think there's any question of that.

Schmaltz puts up 50+ next year. Guaranteed. Wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 60. He has that kind of vision. Over his career he may only score 15 goals or so per season, but his vision... he'll put up 30-40 helpers per, IMO. Kid has been a stud since he was sent down to Rockford to build his confidence back up. So yeah... I see Schmaltz being a 50+ point top 6, two-way winger, with the ability to fill in at C when needed, and/or replace Anisimov if he can figure out his FO's. Because right now, that's the only thing the kid is bad at.

PD is only doing what he is doing because he's seeing top line minutes with a lack of a better 1C on Montreal. If he's seeing the standard 3rd line minutes that he should be as a 3C, then he's not putting up 50-60 points. No question about it.

Don't get me wrong. PD is a great player, and I still hate that trade from a Hawks perspective. But he's no 1C, and on a serious contender, he's a 3C at most.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Awfull trade by the Hawks

Yep. One of a few of Stan's bad moves. And there's not really that many.

He's a solid player, and I wish he was still on the Hawks. Perfect replacement for Kruger. Oh well. Can't keep em all, or win em all. Glad he's thriving with the Habs, though.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Phillip Danault now has 40 points in 79 games (13 goals, 27 assists), including 8 points in his last 9 games. Note that he usually doesn't play on the powerplay.

He's been playing alongside Pacioretty and Radulov mainly because he's such a defensively responsible player.

He's a really hardworking, likeable player so it's easy to root for him. He's also still 24.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
imagine how good that line would be with an actual first line center and not Phillip Danault

Why? There might not be the same chemistry. You already have two guys who are both top level shooters and passers (Pacioretty & Radulov), adding another similar player could just create a situation where there's not enough puck to go around. Danault is a good fit, he has the acumen to keep up offensively with the plays that Radulov/Patches create (and the hands to finish), and his speed and defensive play make the line stronger for matchup situations.

The line wasn't any better with Galchenyuk on it even with all his superior stickhandling and shooting skills. Loading up a line with tremendous talent doesn't always work.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Love Danault but has no business on the first line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad