Player Discussion Phillip Danault - Damn-oh ! Edition

During this 2018/2019 season where should be playing Phillip Danault?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Nice pass tonight on Byron’s goal.

Danault is a likeable guy, just not talented enough to be a top 6 guy. He’s playing over his head and it shows, but he’s got to since there is nobody else to fill the role. Christ, he’d be the de-facto number one Center if Domi hadn’t emerged from nothingness. He’s a third liner that you can rely on defensively, and who will very very occasionally make a decent offensive play. He’s the modern Brian Skrudland, (not as good defensively but better offensively) which isn’t bad.
huh how so ?

Reactions: cphabs

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Ding Ding. You hit the nail on the head. We are stuck with Danault as a top 2C for a bit yet. Can't wait till Kotkaniemi and Poehling are matured enough to move Danault down to 3C which becomes very good up the middle.

Lehkonen / Kotkaniemi / Suzuki
Domi / Poehling / Drouin
Tatar or Byron / Danault / Gallagher
Agostino / Evans or Chaput / Armia

I bet you Olofsson might push for Danault's spot in a few years. I'm also moving Domi to wing. I think Poehling would be a great piece up the middle of Domi and Drouin. Possibly even next year. Lets remember, Poehling has a NHL size body already and he also plays the reliable type of 200' game that Julien will love.

**** it! Go with youth next year. Unload one of Tatar or Byron. Maybe Petry too if we get a GM who wants to pry him away in trade value.

I'd trade Petry, Shaw, plus any spare part on LD not named Mete to upgrade the left D with a young LHD no older than 25. I'd throw in our extra 2nd round pick, if needed, depending on the return at LD.

I like your lineup, but there's no way a line of Lehkonen - KK - Suzuki is ready to assume first line duties next season. Knowing Ju-jube, The Danault line, with Tatar and Gallagher, gets 1st line minutes in a shutdown role. Then the KK line and the Poehling line get even minutes as the 2nd and 3rd lines. I'd go with a 4th line of Byron - Evans - Armia and roll out Agostino as the 13th forward.

IMO, that leaves MON with 3 2nd lines and a 3rd line. There,s scoring potential throughout the lineup and two-way responsibility as well.

Better than the Lafleur lament about having four 4th lines. ;)

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Domi - Poehling - Drouin
Lehkonen - kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Byron - Evans - Armia
Agostino

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Yeah, Danault is not a top-6 center, but he's 25 and would be awesome as 3rd line center in the future.

So we should trade him for a 2nd round draft pick? Who'll be the 2nd line center upgrade in the meantime? We trade our first next year for Jeff Carter?

Let Danault be our second line center this year, and stop complaining he's not good enough. This is not our year.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I'd trade Petry, Shaw, plus any spare part on LD not named Mete to upgrade the left D with a young LHD no older than 25. I'd throw in our extra 2nd round pick, if needed, depending on the return at LD.

I like your lineup, but there's no way a line of Lehkonen - KK - Suzuki is ready to assume first line duties next season. Knowing Ju-jube, The Danault line, with Tatar and Gallagher, gets 1st line minutes in a shutdown role. Then the KK line and the Poehling line get even minutes as the 2nd and 3rd lines. I'd go with a 4th line of Byron - Evans - Armia and roll out Agostino as the 13th forward.

IMO, that leaves MON with three 2nd lines and a 3rd line. There,s scoring potential throughout the lineup and two-way responsibility as well.

Better than the Lafleur lament about having four 4th lines. ;)

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Domi - Poehling - Drouin
Lehkonen - kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Byron - Evans - Armia
Agostino

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I dont get the hate for Danault.. He brings it every night , plays with pride and is hard on the forecheck. Hes probably not in the right chair right now but every good team has guys like him that are important to win hockey games.

Solid 25yo 3rd line center on a correct contract and some would rather have a second round pick.. Really??

New whipping boy, it looks like. He's about to be character assassinated like this forum is so good at doing. He is the new Desharnais; francophone and in the most brutal posters' sights.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
New whipping boy, it looks like. He's about to be character assassinated like this forum is so good at doing. He is the new Desharnais; francophone and in the most brutal posters' sights.
add Galchenyuk, Pacioretty and a few others to the list...

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I dont get the hate for Danault.. He brings it every night , plays with pride and is hard on the forecheck. Hes probably not in the right chair right now but every good team has guys like him that are important to win hockey games.

Solid 25yo 3rd line center on a correct contract and some would rather have a second round pick.. Really??
Amen !
I like Danault a lot , he's a very good player to make room to his linemates , to battle the puck , do all the dirty jobs and in the defensive zone . I don't care that he just got 2 goals in 36 games ; Tatar = 12 goals and Gallagher = 15 goals . That's a lot for a second line that play against the top lines most of the time .Also , Danault only gets 3.6 % T , something that is very low and that could grow eventually

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Depends entirely on Romanov. Could end up close to a nothing trade.
:laugh:
Close to nothing ?
So from your point of view , Weise is very close to Danault ?
You dislike Danault because he only scored 2 goals and 17 assists ? Weise = 30 gp ;4g 5a for a big 9 points.

Danault maybe plays on a wrong chair but with him at that rate , both Gallagher and Tatar will produce more goals than they ever score in their previous seasons

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Merry Christmas!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Close to nothing ?
You dislike Danault because he only scored 2 goals and 17 assists ? Weise = 30 gp ;4g 5a for a big 9 points.

Danault maybe plays on a wrong chair but with him at that rate , both Gallagher and Tatar will produce more goals than they ever score in their previous seasons
I dont hate Danault, he is a 3rd line checker..that's all. If Romanov doesn't become something...well trading a couple 3rd liners for a younger one...meh.
It's just not the brilliant trade it was once heralded to be.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Danault isint really impeding anybody’s developement so it’s not really like the DD situation .I think the problem with DD was pretty much he was playing top pp time and ES minutes with the best wingers instead of Eller or Galchenyuk who at 18-19 looked as good as Deharnais.

I mean unless you guys think Danault is hurting KK’s developement but I don’t see KK as being dominant enough to play top 6 all year on a team trying to compete so i really don’t mind Danault warming up the spot

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Sure, playing with Radulov, Pacioretty, then Gallagher...

let's see if he gets his 40 pts on the 3rd line, you know, the spot the other guy played for the most part

Eller never hit 40 points from 3rd line and either way...the poster said "Don't see why Eller is SOOO better then Danault.."

If the argument was Danault was SOOO much better than Eller you'd have a point. For the reverse Eller would need to outproduce him significantly in same role. Given Eller made 25-30 points in that role here apart from lockout season then Danault can likely be in that range even as a 3rd liner.

I like Eller though, I just don't see how one is dramatically better than the other. Eller has some clutch performances though so I have to give him that. Regular season though? Meh. Interchangeable.

Reactions: Vachon23

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Eller never hit 40 points from 3rd line and either way...the poster said "Don't see why Eller is SOOO better then Danault.."

If the argument was Danault was SOOO much better than Eller you'd have a point. For the reverse Eller would need to outproduce him significantly in same role. Given Eller made 25-30 points in that role here apart from lockout season then Danault can likely be in that range even as a 3rd liner.

I like Eller though, I just don't see how one is dramatically better than the other. Eller has some clutch performances though so I have to give him that. Regular season though? Meh. Interchangeable.
centering the 2nd line... yeah sure.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Close to nothing ?

Tatar is on pace for 27 goals, wich is NOT a career high for him.
Gallagher is on pace for 34 goals, 3 more than his best.

given how much they both slowed down, fon't bet on them keeping the pace.

Jul 6, 2016
No no, I mean Eller made 25-30 in 3rd line role here and if Danault did same role he wouldn't be outclassed. They'd probably be identical.

Right. Danault is also better on faceoffs than Eller. Hopefullt, he,s goonna play 3rd line when Kotkaniemi wil be ready for more important tasks.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval

1. I don't see any hate towards Danault here. None

2. Yeah, typical. "Brings it every night" "plays with pride". Right. I don't see Danault playing with more pride than anyone else. He has his off nights, like everyone.. Why even bring empty statements like that to protect him..

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
1. I don't see any hate towards Danault here. None

2. Yeah, typical. "Brings it every night" "plays with pride". Right. I don't see Danault playing with more pride than anyone else. He has his off nights, like everyone.. Why even bring empty statements like that to protect him..

"plays with pride" is very subjective and vague. I do think he does show effort every game though. He's coachable, takes some checking assignments and his effort level is there.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Right. Danault is also better on faceoffs than Eller. Hopefullt, he,s goonna play 3rd line when Kotkaniemi wil be ready for more important tasks.
when the Habs trade for him , he was also less expensive for the payroll

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Tatar is on pace for 27 goals, wich is NOT a career high for him.
Gallagher is on pace for 34 goals, 3 more than his best.

given how much they both slowed down, fon't bet on them keeping the pace.
My bad for Tatar but he's on a pace 2 goals less of his best season . Not that bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad