Player Discussion Phillip Danault - Damn-oh ! Edition

During this 2018/2019 season where should be playing Phillip Danault?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This coming season will be very interesting...

Does he build off of the confidence from last year, work his arse off this summer, and come back ready to push himself into the 20g/60pt+ range of production?

That would cement him as an elite 2-way top 6 C, and justify looking at him as a fixture for one of our C spots for the next 5-7yrs, especially if we can get him extended at a reasonable raise.

Or, does he show that last year's productivity is the ceiling, in which case he becomes a valuable trade chip in the 2020-21 season as we move to JKO/Poehling filling out the top 9 C spots behind Domi.

Im not ready to cap that ceiling yet, he's got the kind of work ethic & game sense to suggest there's room for ongoing improvement (& last year was a pretty high level to be building from)

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Yes. The vibe of my post was that I hope LK and RP are wild successes at C. I said I like him, and I expect him to have another good season. How do you parse negativity from that? Again, quite my actual words and explain your thought process.

From now on quote me.

Do you agree that I didn’t say he is redundant and that was a complete misinterpretation on your part?

Please amend your original post to reflect your error. I don’t want you speaking for me and I trust you have the decency to do the right thing.
Omg, are we in a process court or something?

We're on a hockey forum...

Some take it way too serious.

I misinterpreted your post, I made a mistake, my apologies.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Omg, are we in a process court or something?

We're on a hockey forum...

Some take it way too serious.

I misinterpreted your post, I made a mistake, my apologies.

Like I’ve said, if you actually quoted posts you might not misconstrue them through your persecution prism.

Once again, your apology finds fault with “some people”.

Read posts. Read them three times if need be. Confine your replies to the factual goalposts.

Expecting a reasonable exchange of ideas is not “process court”. Once again you resort to hyperbole and persecution.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Danault is a great 3rd line C who can fill in on the 2nd line and do admirably. But he is limited offensively. Not bad, just limited. I don't think he's the dimension that the 2nd line needs. He's not the guy who is going to get Drouin going, for example. And if you consistently play him like a 2nd line C, and you give him the icetime that he gets, well don't be shocked when he turns around and asks for the money of a 2nd line C, which is starting to look like $6-7 mil per year.
I agree with you and when we get a legit #2 Danault will slide to #3.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Bro, just your post before this post!

You want to trade Danault cuz he's redundant apparently.

Domi and KK are miles away of Danault's defensive game!

And the thing with Danault is that even if he's not extremely skilled or amazingly gifted with offensive tools, he's not hindering offense.

His wingers are producing!

They say he's profiting from his wingers but when you look at his deployment and the opposition this guy faces game after game you can realize if you have any logic that it's not his wingers that make him produce but actually the other way around.
Apparently when it comes to underscoring the fact that we didn't make the playoffs and this is really a crappy team going nowhere everyone remembers that Tatar had his best season ever and Gallagher his best goal scoring season. And When it comes to knocking Danault's contribution those two little facts are quickly forgotten

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Like I’ve said, if you actually quoted posts you might not misconstrue them through your persecution prism.

Once again, your apology finds fault with “some people”.

Read posts. Read them three times if need be. Confine your replies to the factual goalposts.

Expecting a reasonable exchange of ideas is not “process court”. Once again you resort to hyperbole and persecution.
My friend, like what is your point behind all of this useless thing?

This place is supposed to be fun, not some sort of gestapo shit...

I'm not in the mood to dig stuff and prove you wrong! Have a good day

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Apparently when it comes to underscoring the fact that we didn't make the playoffs and this is really a crappy team going nowhere everyone remembers that Tatar had his best season ever and Gallagher his best goal scoring season. And When it comes to knocking Danault's contribution those two little facts are quickly forgotten
My friend, Danault somehow managed to leach so many points out of those two that they both had career years!

Imagine they would've played with someone who had at least some offensive talent...

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Sure Phil had a career year, for the record that is a good thing for a player that only has 250 career games and is in his peak production years. Have no idea what he will produce next year, but he has improved every year. I’m not as worried about first line / second line as other, todays NHL is all about top 9 and he is a killer fit in any top 9 in the league.

His production relative to his usage is incredible. With a more responsible 4th line I see him getting some easier minutes this year.

I never want to see this player traded, he is Patrice Bergeron light. I don’t think he has the same upside but look at where PB was at, at 250 games.

Reactions: angusyoung

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Sure Phil had a career year, for the record that is a good thing for a player that only has 250 career games and is in his peak production years. Have no idea what he will produce next year, but he has improved every year. I’m not as worried about first line / second line as other, todays NHL is all about top 9 and he is a killer fit in any top 9 in the league.

His production relative to his usage is incredible. With a more responsible 4th line I see him getting some easier minutes this year.

I never want to see this player traded, he is Patrice Bergeron light. I don’t think he has the same upside but look at where PB was at, at 250 games.

Hes really good for what he cost. But if you want a good LHD top 4 , Danault could be a good piece for a trade. You have to give something to get a good return.

With Poehling and Kotkaniemi and maybe Habs targeting Duchene (even tho i dont agree)

Trading Danault with a Byron could fetch us a good LHD

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Hes really good for what he cost. But if you want a good LHD top 4 , Danault could be a good piece for a trade. You have to give something to get a good return.

With Poehling and Kotkaniemi and maybe Habs targeting Duchene (even tho i dont agree)

Trading Danault with a Byron could fetch us a good LHD

Sure, but I’d prefer to trade picks or prospects. We need LD bad but the minute we trade Danault we will be on the search for a top 9 shut down C. It would instantly create a new need and I don’t see why a win soon team would trade the type of player every contending team is looking for.

Good news is I expect there is close to zero chance he gets moved, no way MB moves a player he drafted, stole developed right as he is coming into prime. Unless the return is ridiculous.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Sure, but I’d prefer to trade picks or prospects. We need LD bad but the minute we trade Danault we will be on the search for a top 9 shut down C. It would instantly create a new need and I don’t see why a win soon team would trade the type of player every contending team is looking for.

Good news is I expect there is close to zero chance he gets moved, no way MB moves a player he drafted, stole developed right as he is coming into prime. Unless the return is ridiculous.
Yeah i know what you mean , the thing is Picks and young prospect are not 100% ready to play and when u trade for a 23-26 year olds d-man you expect the player u get back plays in the NHL at that age

Reactions: japhi

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

He's a keeper in my book,for now. Time will dictate if we can afford to keep him the way contracts are going. That line with Tatar and Gallagher was top 5 at 5 on 5 if I remember correctly. No need to break that up for the time being. That trio should only improve next season. Would be nice if PD could pot a few more,but as is,still a stalwart.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
My friend, Danault somehow managed to leach so many points out of those two that they both had career years!

Imagine they would've played with someone who had at least some offensive talent...
every single Hab player who had a good year owe it to Danault.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
He's a keeper in my book,for now. Time will dictate if we can afford to keep him the way contracts are going. That line with Tatar and Gallagher was top 5 at 5 on 5 if I remember correctly. No need to break that up for the time being. That trio should only improve next season. Would be nice if PD could pot a few more,but as is,still a stalwart.
huh... improve how ? becoming the best line in hockey or something ?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
it's easy to get a clue, just have to blindly defend every single thing Habs related. That and being a Bergevin fan first and foremost.
You post a ton but never ever brought some sense...

Let's change the trend!

It's your moment! you can bring something worthy!

Do it!!!!!!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Danault has developed into an outstanding 3rd line center!! Best 200 ft player on the team

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You post a ton but never ever brought some sense...

Let's change the trend!

It's your moment! you can bring something worthy!

Do it!!!!!!
I am not literally in love with Bergevin, so you will never think I'm making sense, ever.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

@Andrei79

Kotka will be 19 years old this year! What are you talking about man...

No one expected him to stick with the team last year!

And now you want to give him the first center spot? Come on...

That's why I hate all this talk, the job Danault is doing and Pleknec did for years is severely underappreciated by the fanbase!

Bergeron,Crosby,Tavares and company would eat alive Kotka!

Danault finished the season with a +17 while doing the dirty job!

Wake up man...

Toews was 19
Bergeron was 19
Kopitar was 19
Hischier was 18
Aho was 19
Barkov was 19
Monahan was 18
Couturier was 20
Oreilly was 19
Tavares was 18
Barzal was 19
Pettersson was 19
PLD was 19
Duchene was 19
Stamkos was 18
RNH was 18
McDavid was 18
Crosby was 18
Malkin was 20
Kuznetsov was 20
Backstrom was 20
Larkin was 19
Horvat was 19
Getzlaf was 20
Spezza was 18
Eichel was 18
Staal was 18
Staal was 18
Seguin was 19
Jeff Carter was 20
RyJo was 19
Zibanejad was 19
Thornton was 19
Matthews was 19
Stastny was 20
Shceifele was 20

Those guys are the centers I think are top 6 Cs, and at the age where they got their spots.

Theres Kuznetsov, Krejci, Point and Couture who got it later, like 21, 22. When is it too late ?

Do we admit that Kotkaniemi just isn't as good as these guys and say that Bergevin blew a tire by drafting him, or is Kotkaniemi good enough and he should play at 19, like every single f***ing elite center that is playing in the league right now ? At one point you need to commit.

How about Gallagher set a career low for assists ? What about that ? Literally his worst career APG, and by quite a landslide, too.

Reactions: Andrei79
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->