Player Discussion Phillip Danault - Damn-oh ! Edition

During this 2018/2019 season where should be playing Phillip Danault?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
"I know you are but what am I?"

That's your response? You're not making sense.
Of course I'm not... I'm not part of that fantasy of yours (you know, the one you imagined - needing to get rid of an idea they don't have)

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
He's strong on the forecheck, creates turnovers in the neutral zone, is a good playmaker. All of which leads to goals if he has linemates who can score but are also responsible defensively.

The Tatar - Danault - Gallagher line is a good line, it's doing its job. Why mess with it right now?
No reason to mess with it because we don't have a 2C to put in there... There's no current solution to put Danault on the 3rd line so that's why it is the way it is. I think Kotka should stay where he is and come along slowly. It's a long season for a young kid.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
What is a PD problem -- did you mean to say CJ instead?
Meant playing him as a 2C is a MB issue for how he constructed this team the last 7 years and not a PD (P-Danault) problem for being played in the wrong place.

Reactions: bsl

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
No reason to mess with it because we don't have a 2C to put in there... There's no current solution to put Danault on the 3rd line so that's why it is the way it is. I think Kotka should stay where he is and come along slowly. It's a long season for a young kid.
sure, give KK Tatar and Gallagher, and let Danault play with Lehkonen and the AHLer...

DONE!
(took me 10 sec to figure it out, typing included)

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
sure, give KK Tatar and Gallagher, and let Danault play with Lehkonen and the AHLer...

DONE!
(took me 10 sec to figure it out, typing included)

I like how you bold the part you want to argue against but ignore the very next sentence which would refute the argument you were about to make. Either poor logic or arguing in bad faith.

I think Kotka should stay where he is and come along slowly. It's a long season for a young kid.

Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Lol at this whole article. Yup danault is a catalyst for a line that’s top 5 in the nhl
What a horse**** piece
1 goal being insulated. Ok Berkshire. Move on
I guess danault is now better than mackinnon, Bergeron , monohan ..
Lol. No team would trade any of those players for danault
What a piece of garbage article

Better than MacKinnon? That's seriously how you interpreted this article? Because, just so you know, that's not what it was saying or what it was about. It's just a well-written analysis on the lines that have have been extremely effective this year. Demonstrating in more details why those of us who actually know the game have enjoyed this line all year and are bemused by the few people throwing tantrums because of this excellent coaching decision.

I liked that article. I thought it did a great job of explaining why Danault's line has been so effective this year (mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Danault is probably one of our most underrated players. He's not a skilled guy who makes sexy passes like Domi & Kotkaniemi can, but he does a lot of the work to get the puck down to the offensive zone that allows Tatar/Gallagher to get scoring chances. On top of that he's usually playing against other team's top lines and he's also our only centre who can win a faceoff.

Kotkaniemi is developing well on the third line, there is no reason to rush him. Once Armia/Byron are back he'll get an upgrade to his wingers as well.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Danault is probably one of our most underrated players. He's not a skilled guy who makes sexy passes like Domi & Kotkaniemi can, but he does a lot of the work to get the puck down to the offensive zone that allows Tatar/Gallagher to get scoring chances. On top of that he's usually playing against other team's top lines and he's also our only centre who can win a faceoff.

Kotkaniemi is developing well on the third line, there is no reason to rush him. Once Armia/Byron are back he'll get an upgrade to his wingers as well.
I agree, and I do think Danault is a fine placeholder for now.. as long as that's what he is, a placeholder. I still have PTSD watching Galchenyuk rot away while DD got top line minutes way past his expiration date. I don't want it to be 2-3 years down the road and have KK playing behind Danault (unless, of course, Danault magically explodes and becomes better than KK).

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I agree, and I do think Danault is a fine placeholder for now.. as long as that's what he is, a placeholder. I still have PTSD watching Galchenyuk rot away while DD got top line minutes way past his expiration date. I don't want it to be 2-3 years down the road and have KK playing behind Danault (unless, of course, Danault magically explodes and becomes better than KK).
Kotka has showed more brains in 20 games than Chucky did in 4 years imo

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Kotka has showed more brains in 20 games than Chucky did in 4 years imo
It's not a brains thing, it's a talent thing. I don't really want to get into a DD vs. Galchenyuk debate in a Phil Danault thread but we were always told the issue was defensive awareness. Was Galchenyuk way worse defensively than DD to warrant playing under him for that long? IMO no, especially where I think his offensive skills were way higher.

It was also "well, Pacioretty has chemistry with DD!!!" Which, yeah, counts for something I guess but I prefer the method where we put the most talented players together and see what they can do. That's what posters here, I think, are afraid of, is that we're going to stick with chemistry over developing talent. I agree with that sentiment, I'm just willing to be patient at least for this year.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Better than MacKinnon? That's seriously how you interpreted this article? Because, just so you know, that's not what it was saying or what it was about. It's just a well-written analysis on the lines that have have been extremely effective this year. Demonstrating in more details why those of us who actually know the game have enjoyed this line all year and are bemused by the few people throwing tantrums because of this excellent coaching decision.

I liked that article. I thought it did a great job of explaining why Danault's line has been so effective this year and I love how those hard facts and numbers have riled up people like you and ECWHSWI and makes you guys say inanities out of sheer hatred and ignorance.
Know the game???
Lol. Ok coach
Whatever you say
Put danault with Lehkonen and agostino and hen would have 3 pts
He’s been insulated like DD was. He’s plyed with Pacioretty, Radulov , Tatar and Gallagher
You know nothing if you can’t see how they’ve protected him to have him produce
1 miserable goal averaging 16 minutes a game.
Yup. You’re a a hockey genius

Last edited:
Reactions: cphabs

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
If we can't get another top C to be the number 2 to Kotkaniemi, Danault is gonna be a worse imitation of David Legwand at the 2C spot. ROFL. At least Pleks had some offense such that 50 points was usually assured from him and even tantalized with a couple 70 point seasons.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I’m going to regret this, but has there ever been a 1st line center that has only scored 1’goal in his first 20 or so games in the history of the NHL?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I’m going to regret this, but has there ever been a 1st line center that has only scored 1’goal in his first 20 or so games in the history of the NHL?

Joe Thornton had 2 goals in his first 43 games 2 years ago and he played plenty of PP minutes, Henrik Sedin had 2 goals in his first 73 games last year.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There really isn't much point in arguing this player's role at this time. If and when the time comes where we have given up the idea of a wild card and the Habs don't move KK up I'm not going to be pleased.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Know the game???
Lol. Ok coach
Whatever you say
Put danault with Lehkonen and agostino and her have 3 pts
He’s been insulated like DD was. He’s plyed with Pacioretty, Radulov , Tatar and Gallagher
You know nothing if you can’t see how they’ve protected him to have him produce
1 miserable goal averaging 16 minutes a game.
Yup. You’re a a hockey genius

Ah, yes! Weird, random comparisons to Desharnais, now! Progress! We're starting to see where that bile comes from!

What has he been "insulated" from, btw? Do you even know what that word means?

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Ah, yes! Weird, random comparisons to Desharnais, now! Progress! We're starting to see where that bile comes from!

What has he been "insulated" from, btw? Do you even know what that word means?
Insulting someone intelligence shows your character
Insulated by the best wingers on the team year after year so he can produce
Scoring is up in the nhl and danault has ONE goal
He has now gone about 20’games without a goal yet you say he’s playing well ?
He’s gets top 3 minutes for forwards and has one goal and is playing well?
Hmmm when DD went on that streak people were freaking out
Danault is a glorified 3rd liner winger.

Too insulate is To protect. That’s exactly what their doing to danault. If he plays with talentless wingers he’d have 4 pts cause danault himself is talentless

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I like how you bold the part you want to argue against but ignore the very next sentence which would refute the argument you were about to make. Either poor logic or arguing in bad faith.
non-bolded is irrelevant.

and yeah, I bolded the part I wanted to argue against... so what ?
people disagree sometimes, it happens, get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->