Player Discussion Phillip Danault - Damn-oh ! Edition

During this 2018/2019 season where should be playing Phillip Danault?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I could just imagine the ammo if instead of stealing him from CHI, we had traded him after drafting him in the 1st round for a bunch of finished vets. Imagine we traded Young Danault for Thompson and Weise. It would be looked at as MB's worse trade, I think even worse than the PK one.

Reactions: dralaf and Andrei79

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I could just imagine the ammo if instead of stealing him from CHI, we had traded him after drafting him in the 1st round for a bunch of finished vets. Imagine we traded Young Danault for Thompson and Weise. It would be looked at as MB's worse trade, I think even worse than the PK one.

LOL

Smith-Pelley for Matteau was excellent
a 4th for Dwight King was stellar
Andrighetto for Martinsen really helped
Zack Kassian for Ben Scrivens solidified the G position in 2015-16
Peters Budaj and Holland got us the great Eric Tangradi

but the worst trade was moving a guy who is now the 4th most used D on Nashville for the guy who is the 30th captain of the Montreal Canadiens and whose presence since Dec 1st has coincided with the surge of the team. Even if Subban rebounds and does not remain a lower-scoring player than Weber, this was hardly MB's worst trade.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Yeah, there's a definite bias against him. His offense is vanilla, if effective, and hes an MB trade who potentially "steals" ice time from lesser players posters incorrectly want to see more of. So, he'll always have his haters. This board used to love Kostitsyn, a passive underachieving disapointment who broke two lockerrooms.

Truth is even when hes not producing he's a very good player. And when he is he's an excellent one. We gave soon to be UFA garbage for one of our most versatile and complete player in his 20s, we'd be raging if another team like Tampa or Boston stole him away like that.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
even including special teams, there's a 1 shift of difference between Thompson and Kotka- and that's with Thompson still proving himself as a new player to this coaching staff.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
even including special teams, there's a 1 shift of difference between Thompson and Kotka- and that's with Thompson still proving himself as a new player to this coaching staff.

Thompson is a vet , small sample size of games , I don't think it's fair to bring this up at all as anything noteworthy.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
That's not what we've seen from Julien coached teams , how's Danault PP time coming along?
You'd rather square peg a player to death on the 4th line based on some weird sense of a role type player , rather than using the strategy that has worked for most of the top development teams? Ridiculous...

Playing him the AHL is the way to go , especially coming from the US hockey program , unless he really surprises at training camp.
Julien is not playing Danault on the PP because he's already killing him with even strength minutes and PK minutes!

Danault is the most used forward on this team and he's not even playing on the PP!

Your example makes no sense.

How about Agostino though? Do you remember that 4th liner that was playing on the PP?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Why not move Danault to the wing? Danault is not a better top 6 center than Domi.

Heck, why not just trade Danault for a RW? Hed be coming off a career high and hed have incredible value, plus hes due for a big pay raise. Let people realize he wont put up these numbers again once Gallagher and Tatar are pryed away from him.

I think the ROR trade shows why you don't trade 2cs hoping a rookie takes over

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
A rookie? Kotkaniemi is going to be 2 years in his career, Domi is a top 6 C. Poehling would be taking over for kotkaniemi.

Even better, why trade a 2c to make room for a 19 year old.

Trading Denault makes the Habs worse. I love Domi but Denault stabilizes our roster more than Domi does. Worst case in keeping Denault for now is that he has to take over when injuries or players not being ready. Best case is that he just stays as a winger and long term is tradable

Reactions: Archijerej

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Trading Denault makes the Habs worse. I love Domi but Denault stabilizes our roster more than Domi does. Worst case in keeping Denault for now is that he has to take over when injuries or players not being ready. Best case is that he just stays as a winger and long term is tradable
Kotkaniemi and Domi are our better center, Danault is just a place holder. Giving role players the reigns to this team is what made this team the clusterf*** that it is right now.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Kotkaniemi and Domi are our better center, Danault is just a place holder. Giving role players the reigns to this team is what made this team the cluster**** that it is right now.

No. Not even.

Denault is the better player than Domi right now. He's better at clearing the puck from the zone and (last I checked though it's been a while) was better at some entries. Denault drives possession better and is much more reliable at faceoffs. I'd argue Domi and Kotk are gonna fill the same role next year and neither one is going to be called on to take defensive zone draws. Worst case is that Denault is our 3c next year year but of those 3 guys his absence would be most felt in the near future.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Danault is our best all around C, I don’t see him ever forced to play wing

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Why not move Danault to the wing? Danault is not a better top 6 center than Domi.

Heck, why not just trade Danault for a RW? Hed be coming off a career high and hed have incredible value, plus hes due for a big pay raise. Let people realize he wont put up these numbers again once Gallagher and Tatar are pryed away from him.

You're right actually, Danault's value is as high as it'll ever be.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You're right actually, Danault's value is as high as it'll ever be.
Looking around the league, what Hayes got and what a guy like Granlund got, I think we could get a top 6 winger and a pick for him. A team that has a really strong C but no 2nd C might want to take a peek at him.

Dallas, Edmonton, Buffalo, Carolina, Winnipeg (If they don't resign Hayes.), Colorado, NYI, SJS, maybe Vegas if Karlsson leaves and they want to save some money. We could pry a pretty penny away from these teams. Some could even potentially send back a bottom 6 C to be sure that Poehling can transition good enough.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
For those who repeat frequently that Danault is inept with the puck and has no vision, please review his cross-ice pass to Weber for the third goal last night.
He's currently #51 in the league with 21 primary assists (tied with several players). 71,11% of his points are primary.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
Danault has always seemed to me to be the next Pleky of this team. Sound player, puts up some points, hated by the fans more than most players despite being the most necessary and being forced to play a role he shouldn’t have to. He’s filled the shoes of Plek without a hitch

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Danault has always seemed to me to be the next Pleky of this team. Sound player, puts up some points, hated by the fans more than most players despite being the most necessary and being forced to play a role he shouldn’t have to. He’s filled the shoes of Plek without a hitch

Plekanec was not hated until the last contract.

His name, after all, was not Plécanette and Michel Té-rien never carried his bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad