Player Discussion Phillip Danault - Damn-oh ! Edition

During this 2018/2019 season where should be playing Phillip Danault?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Danault has basically become Plekanec in his prime. Solid point production, defensively responsible centre. Pleks was a little flashier but the end result is pretty much the same at this point.

Danault has been great but he's got some more wheels to turn before I would compare him to Plekanec in his prime.

No doubt been fantastic for us this year tho.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hawks fan here very happy to see Danault is doing so well for you guys. He's becoming everything we hoped he'd be and apparently more. Thanks for Weise and Fleischmann
tenor.gif

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
Danault has been great but he's got some more wheels to turn before I would compare him to Plekanec in his prime.

That is why I said Plekanec was flashier. The end result in points and responsibilities is very much the same although they do it differently.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Why he didn't get an A before Byron I'll never understand. I guess it's hard to judge without being in the lockerroom... But Byron is quite overrated and might be a pushover before next training camp.

Reactions: Redux91

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Well with his big night yesterday he's now on pace for 60 points. If he can reach close to that then it's comparable to Plekanec. The crazy thing is Danault is doing it all at ES, when Plekanec had his 69 & 70 point seasons he had 25 & 24 PPP respectively. So if Danault keeps it up he's got a case for being the better offensive player.

The funny thing with Danault is that every year it seems he has to prove that it isn't a fluke or that he isn't simply benefiting from good linemates. After 16-17 when he put up 40 points, there were questions about how much was just from playing with Radulov/Pacioretty. In 17-18 he put up a similar pace without Radulov and alongside a struggling Pacioretty so he didn't have much help from linemates, but due to injuries there were still question marks, though I was mostly convinced he'd established himself as an average 2nd line player. This year he's again benefited from very productive linemates, but his production is also way up, so now there are question marks about whether 55-60 points is actually his level of production or is it just a fluke year.

If this year is actually representative of what Danault can bring over the next 5ish years then a path to contending starts to emerge.

Reactions: Redux91

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Well with his big night yesterday he's now on pace for 60 points. If he can reach close to that then it's comparable to Plekanec. The crazy thing is Danault is doing it all at ES, when Plekanec had his 69 & 70 point seasons he had 25 & 24 PPP respectively. So if Danault keeps it up he's got a case for being the better offensive player.

The funny thing with Danault is that every year it seems he has to prove that it isn't a fluke or that he isn't simply benefiting from good linemates. After 16-17 when he put up 40 points, there were questions about how much was just from playing with Radulov/Pacioretty. In 17-18 he put up a similar pace without Radulov and alongside a struggling Pacioretty so he didn't have much help from linemates, but due to injuries there were still question marks, though I was mostly convinced he'd established himself as an average 2nd line player. This year he's again benefited from very productive linemates, but his production is also way up, so now there are question marks about whether 55-60 points is actually his level of production or is it just a fluke year.

If this year is actually representative of what Danault can bring over the next 5ish years then a path to contending starts to emerge.

1-MB traded for him
2-he is french

Because of those above reasons he will always be downplayed and not given the credit he deserves.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
1-MB traded for him
2-he is french

Because of those above reasons he will always be downplayed and not given the credit he deserves.
I also noticed that unflashy players are not appreciated to their true value around here...

Serious lack of hockey knowledge and ability to breakdown the game.

Danault is a f***ing monster out there the majority of the nights...

Scheifele was hemmed in his own zone the entire night...

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Danault on pace for 60 points this year. He's tied with Kopitar in points and is top-45 in scoring among centers. He's also a +22 which is top-5 among centers.

I always thought he would top out as a good 3rd line center but under Julien perhaps he can become Bergeron-lite

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I honestly think the problem with this guy is the perception.

We got him basically for nothing and he was playing on the 4th line at the beginning so people created an image of a decent 4th liner in their heads.

But this kid was actually a first round pick! Probably time to reevaluate your bias...

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Crazy to compare what our C line-up looks like now compared to what it looked like going into the season (while being largely the same players).

September :
Domi/Drouin - winger playing out of position, doomed to fail
Danault - 3C playing up the line-up and out of his depth due to lack of other options
Plek - less than a shell of his former self
Kotka - 18 year old having an up and down camp who might play 9 games to give us something to look forward to
Peca - unknown quantity that might be forced to play as high as 2C due to lack of depth if Domi/Drouin flame out

Now:
Domi - Cooled down after a hot start, but CJ has been using him to hump start cold wingers for months. He's still producing well but if we had a functioning PP he would be crushing it
Danault - Playing the best hockey of his career. Putting up points, shutting down stars, killing it at the dot
Kotka - way above expectations, all he needs is more experience and opportunities
4th C - yeah, still nothing solid here, but Evans and maybe Vejdemo look promising (and Mac before his injury)

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
That is why I said Plekanec was flashier. The end result in points and responsibilities is very much the same although they do it differently.
Plekanec was getting 50 pts seasons with guys like Darche, Whyte, Staubitz, Moen, Prust for the most part... when given skilled wingers like Kovalev, he got 70 pts...

Reactions: Vachon23

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Danault on pace for 60 points this year. He's tied with Kopitar in points and is top-45 in scoring among centers. He's also a +22 which is top-5 among centers.

I always thought he would top out as a good 3rd line center but under Julien perhaps he can become Bergeron-lite
Ok he's not flashy, totally different than Crosby, Toews, Kopitar and all the natural type of centers we're used to see. I might call him poor's man Patrice Bergeron. He's a monster in the + and minus stats recently. Is he a new type of center, the ultimate 2 way center, without the spectacular and as much efficient as Plekanec in his best years?
To compare with cars, he's a new category : not a coupé, not a berline, not a suv, something new in between. I don't care about names and category, I like the result with the team, it's all that matters.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Plekanec was getting 50 pts seasons with guys like Darche, Whyte, Staubitz, Moen, Prust for the most part... when given skilled wingers like Kovalev, he got 70 pts...

Add the 1st PP to Danault this year like Plek use to have and hes on pace for 70pts,That said, i think Plek was more skilled and offensively gifted then Danault but i think Danault’s game will translate better in the playoff.

Sysez

Jun 14, 2011
Everywhere, World.
Do not forget that this Era was more high scoring because everybody was still adapting to the new rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad