Player Discussion Phillip Danault - Damn-oh ! Edition

During this 2018/2019 season where should be playing Phillip Danault?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
40 points without any PP minutes. He is our most underrated player.

Most underserving of all the bashing he got since last year. He's gotten favorable ice time, but he's also shown excellent work ethic and engagement, unlike Desharnais. You cant fault a player for being his teams best option despite his limitations. And, we got him basically for free.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Its incredible what Danault is doing right now despite his offensive skills limitation, he is a pretty valuable player doing an excellent job all over the ice, ideally he is a very strong third line center on a good team...

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Thats why I would be patient with Poehling and let him develop in the AHL for a while next year, he needs to become a dominant player in the AHL before calling him up, I dont want to see this kid on the Habs fourth line at all.

I hear what you are saying, but many said the same thing about Kotkaniemi, even me at one point. It turns out these things are really case by case. In KK's case, he seems to learn the most by playing against the best opposition he can. We'll see with Poehling, but for sure there is no call to rush him.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Bee Holder

Jul 3, 2017
Montreal
Thats why I would be patient with Poehling and let him develop in the AHL for a while next year, he needs to become a dominant player in the AHL before calling him up, I dont want to see this kid on the Habs fourth line at all.
AMEN. Wow, you summed it all up in a short statement. 100% agree with you

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Most underserving of all the bashing he got since last year. He's gotten favorable ice time, but he's also shown excellent work ethic and engagement, unlike Desharnais. You cant fault a player for being his teams best option despite his limitations. And, we got him basically for free.
Favorable? In terms of quantity maybe. We'd have been eaten alive this season had he not absorbed all those matchups.

Reactions: Walrus26

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He's playing some tough minutes against the other teams best lines. He's been playing like a Selke candidate this season.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
25 pts in his last 24 games

Impressive. Not to mention he is leading the team with +22 rating. I know +/- can be very misleading without context, but considering that he gets tough assignments game in game out it indicates he seems to be doing something right.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
He's playing some tough minutes against the other teams best lines. He's been playing like a Selke candidate this season.

He's been playing like a Selke candidate ever since he got that hat trick but for most of the season his offense hasn't been good enough to be in the contention. Dude's been on fire lately though.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He's been playing like a Selke candidate ever since he got that hat trick but for most of the season his offense hasn't been good enough to be in the contention. Dude's been on fire lately though.
Agreed. The trophy is based on reputation anyways. He's on pace for a 60 point season(with no PP time) while being elite defensively. That's borderline 1st line territory right there.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The points are great but his assignments against other team’s top lines, face off abilities and PK Skills make this player like I said a few weeks ago- the Habs MVP this year. Most complete and responsible forward.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
The points are great but his assignments against other team’s top lines, face off abilities and PK Skills make this player like I said a few weeks ago- the Habs MVP this year. Most complete and responsible forward.

The team was heading straight into oblivion before Weber came to rescue, he's the real MVP. But I agree Danault has been really really solid.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City

Agreed. He reminds me of Scheifele for some reason, might have the same development path as him.

Anyways, back to le p'tit Danault.
Well.. he good.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
No doubt. Which also begs the question, when that time comes, who's spot does he "take" if we're to give him some top 6-9 C reps so he can develop accordingly?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
No doubt. Which also begs the question, when that time comes, who's spot does he "take" if we're to give him some top 6-9 C reps so he can develop accordingly?
I'd be fine shifting Domi to wing, and role
Kotka
Danault
Poehling

All are 6'2 and solid in their own end.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
Its incredible what Danault is doing right now despite his offensive skills limitation, he is a pretty valuable player doing an excellent job all over the ice, ideally he is a very strong third line center on a good team...
I still like the Judo throw on Ekblad...lol.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Wow Danault being good really creeped up on me. Started the season thinking he was overratedC now he's one of my favourites. Would love to see him put up 60 this year (and for the next bunch). He feels like a Desharnais, except actually good.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
This line combination is really promising. No problem with Danault getting first line duty given the circumstances. Scheiffle is a tough guy to contain and Danault did that and more last night.

Reminds me of prime pleky right now

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
Danault has basically become Plekanec in his prime. Solid point production, defensively responsible centre. Pleks was a little flashier but the end result is pretty much the same at this point.

Reactions: Vachon23

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I'd be fine shifting Domi to wing, and role
Kotka
Danault
Poehling

All are 6'2 and solid in their own end.
Of course this all depends greatly on Kotkaniemi's progression. Personally I'd only shift Domi when Poehling shows he could be as good, which is still far from a sure thing. That would mean Danault and Poehling would split center duties on the third line at the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad