Player Discussion Phillip Danault 1st line 3rd C Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think now is the perfect time to move Danault when his value is at its peak as we have Suzuki and Koko ready for the top 2 centre positions,, we could cash in on Danault now
I think we still need him as this year moves along, but he could be gone at the trade deadline if they feel he wants a bigger deal than they want to pay...
In the perfect world MB gets him signed to a reasonable cap hit for the next 3-4 seasons....for the life of me, I can't imagine why Phil thinks he is all that, and a bag of chips...he is a very good player, who fits perfect in a 3C role, and can step up into a 2C role for short periods of time....
The TEAM should come first, but Phil has other ideas by the sounds of things...

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Danault is at the point where what you see is what you get.. I agree with that. Prime years and he is who he is. I just feel we need him for the next 4 years while Suzuki and KK learn on the job and start to touch prime years. So I don't have an issue with paying Danault for the next 4 years. Term is where my mind is at and overall strategy with when we have to pay Suzuki and KK for prime years.

I think Suzuki has passed him if he don't have a set back in his 2nd year. KK will need more time IMO. So right now, Danault is 2C and KK is 3C... if we want to list them that way. This is a good thing... KK will get good match-ups and we can shelter him to some degree.

The way our roster is built and how we added some good pieces, We need Danault! He lacks offensive skills yes but I don't think he gets enough credit for what he does for us each and every shift. I think we are worried about the DD days in terms of usage to be honest.
I may have some emotional scars I am still recovering from..:laugh:

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Both of those players had reason to complain though. Their ice time was given to an inferior player by an idiot of a coach.

Desharnais was a much better offensive player than Eller and Galchenyuk was a liability in two of three zones. None of them were anything special. And we had excellent results in the regular season with Therrien, unlike our ''savior'' Julien. Besides, Tatar-Danault-Gallagher should be the least of our worries right now. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi were -15 and -11 last year and they shouldn't be playing top minutes until they can prove they are effective on both sides of the puck, simple.

Last edited:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I cant say enough how disappointed I am in Danault,
Cant get over it

How he cant see he was given more more opportunities because he is kind of a stop gap for real top 6 centers eventually is unfortunate
And instead of embracing a 3.5 mill price tag and being a shutdown C he claims to be 1C and wants to get PAID like it??

Broke my heart fredo, you gotta go.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
If Allen has a solid season as a back-up for us, I do think Seattle takes him. Allen and Valamov would be a great 1/2 punch and takes up a total of $7.875M on total cap hit for two goalies signed for 2 years. Would they value a guy like Evans or Edmundson/Chiarot over Allen? Well that depends on the overall talent available from all teams. I hope we don't loose Evans to be honest... how good of a season can he have playing 4C where they believe he can play 3C for them? Not sure about that

And with Danault... I do agree as well. Price point based on role on the team comes down to term with me. 2-4 years at $5M - $5.5M of AAV. It's possible Danault pushes for $6M for 4 years if that's the range we offer in term and I would not put up a fuss about that considering we need Danault in the center mix while Suzuki and KK learn on the job. My strategy is 4 or less years cause that's the point when Suzuki and KK have to be paid for prime years (after ELC/Bridge contracts)

The more I read about every player that is getting dumped on Seattle, the less I want to see them play. Even though they will be the closest to where I live since I lived in Northern Virginia with a Metro ride from the Washington Capitals!

Reactions: Runner77

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Cant get over it

How he cant see he was given more more opportunities because he is kind of a stop gap for real top 6 centers eventually is unfortunate
And instead of embracing a 3.5 mill price tag and being a shutdown C he claims to be 1C and wants to get PAID like it??

There is nothing wrong with what he said. He's shown he can produce like a top 6 center while bringing selke calibre defence. He is in his prime and wants to keep that role, which is perfectly understandable.
If he was UFA now and there was no cap issue because of covid, several other teams would easily offer him 6+ million and a top 6 position.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
There is nothing wrong with what he said. He's shown he can produce like a top 6 center while bringing selke calibre defence. He is in his prime and wants to keep that role, which is perfectly understandable.
If he was UFA now and there was no cap issue because of covid, several other teams would easily offer him 6+ million and a top 6 position.
No doubt. And it would be a horrible mistake.
He just cant score honestly

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Not in the playoffs :(
I don't know if that's really Danault's problem, Tatar seemed invisible, Gally had a ton of chances maybe a bit unlucky.

And that line was drowned in the defensive zone, it's like the coaching staff didn't even expect production out of them...

Offensive zone start %:

Kotka 69.05%
Evans 66.67%
Suzy 61.70%
Danault 32.14%!

People talking about Danault as an easily replaceable guy are gonna get a rude awakening if he's not resigned.

He and his line are doing an amazing job considering the usage they get.

Kotkaniemi would get embarrassed as we speak if he was used in that role.

They have to keep Danault around till KK and Suzuki are still developing.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Won't happen when a similar player in Pageau got 5 mil. I'd still love him here at 5 mil, but all signs point to him wanting more.
Bergevin has to think how he will sign the current group of young players. Danault is the odd man out i would think

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Desharnais was a much better offensive player than Eller and Galchenyuk was a liability in two of three zones. None of them were anything special. And we had excellent results in the regular season with Therrien, unlike our ''savior'' Julien. Besides, Tatar-Danault-Gallagher should be the least of our worries right now. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi were -15 and -11 last year and they shouldn't be playing top minutes until they can prove they are effective on both sides of the puck, simple.
most teams have forwards who are average at the very best defensively on their top 6, lots of said teams manage to make the PO, some even win cups (Hawks, Pens)

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Cant get over it

A lot of the rational attributed to Danault is projection. He clarified his position for those who were ready to turn on him as soon as he didn't cower, roll over and play dead.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

This never happened, sadly.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I don't think he was. Providing the same usage both players produced around the same. They have different set of skills but one is not superior to the other offensively speaking. DD was a very limited player offensively. He could not score. His shot was not a NHL quality shot. DD was a better playmaker than Eller. Eller had a slightly better shot and was a superior forechecker.

A 30 years old DD did only 28 points playing on NYR 3rd line. That's what Eller is doing on a 3rd line. Last year a 30 years old Eller did 39 points in 69 games while playing on the 3rd line and replacing Kuznetsov and Backstrom on the 2nd line for around 15 games total. That would be 46 points in 82 games which is very close to what DD was doing on average playing on a 1st line all games. DD being superior to Eller in any situation is a myth.

I still firmly believe if you put Eller 82 games with Pacioretty playing 18 minutes a game he'll do 50-55 points. But a coach doing that would be a terrible coach. And a GM allowing that to happen for more than a season would be a terrible GM.

While Danault is significantly better defensively than both DD and Eller and slightly better offensively i believe lot of people overestimate his offense for the same reason people overestimated DD's offense. Danault's production considering his usage is not very good and if you bring down his usage more in line with his skills level then his production would fall in the low 40 which is what he really is imo.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Therrien's good regular season records cake off the backs of Price, Subban, and Pacioretty being in their primes and the rest of the division being weak.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad