OT: Phillies: We Might Just Get A Little Stupid Spending: Offseason Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
My understanding is that Machado is an excellent third baseman but he prefers SS, where he is not bad but also not good. I was under the impression he wouldn't sign somewhere to play third but apparently he changed his mind. Get both Machado and Harper. Apparently Segura has not agreed to waive NTC yet (at least as of last night, haven't seen anything yet today).

Who plays LF now if Rhys goes back to first?

With Harper I would guess this: LF-Williams, CF-Herrera, RF-Harper. Without Maybe LF-Quinn, CR-Herrera, RF-Williams

I wrote that wrong. I knew Machado is a fantastic 3rd, I meant if "he's ok" with it.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Indeed he is. Joel Sherman just reported it's agreed upon, the only remaining unknown is which prospects are involved.

"#Mariners are in agreement pending physical review to send Jean Segura to the #Phillies for Carlos Santana and J.P. Crawford. There will be other prospects involved."

Prospects going to SEA or coming here? I don't imagine that SEA would be sending any prospects of value here so my gut is saying we are adding?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Indeed he is. Joel Sherman just reported it's agreed upon, the only remaining unknown is which prospects are involved.

"#Mariners are in agreement pending physical review to send Jean Segura to the #Phillies for Carlos Santana and J.P. Crawford. There will be other prospects involved."

I'm happy with that. I am curious to see how Crawford develops after a disastrous 2018 season. I think he still has good potential , just no where close to where he was hyped up a few years ago.

Reactions: klutch

Dark One

Aug 14, 2009
Prospects going to SEA or coming here? I don't imagine that SEA would be sending any prospects of value here so my gut is saying we are adding?

Nightengale just indicated there are other MLB players involved and one prospect. Still fluid until the final details emerge.

Dark One

Aug 14, 2009
Nightengale indicated RP Swarzak (just traded by the Mets to Seattle) will be coming to the Phillies in a flip as part of the trade. Swarzak is signed for 1 year at $8M and helps them defray some of the cost of the Santana contract.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yeah, pretty much a salary dump there given his recent performance. But it's better than including $$ only in return - at least an outside chance he could represent RP depth.

Oh for sure. It makes total sense.

Looking at his PITCHf/x charts, the movement on his 4 Seamer died as he got further into the year and the tail end was more normal for his career.

Reactions: Dark One

Dark One

Aug 14, 2009
Oh for sure. It makes total sense.

Looking at his PITCHf/x charts, the movement on his 4 Seamer died as he got further into the year and the tail end was more normal for his career.

He was fantastic in 2017, so not impossible that he can provide some value still being in his early 30's. And if they end up simply DFA'ing him it'll be the equivalent of sending $8M in cash which I would've been fine with - basically a no risk inclusion.

It's also still unclear if the prospect supposedly involved is coming to or from the Phils.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's also still unclear if the prospect supposedly involved is coming to or from the Phils.
Almost certainly from the Phillies. Santana is not completely a salary dump but he is still owed a lot of money and there is a big gap in value between JP Crawford and Segura.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Dark One

Aug 14, 2009
Almost certainly from the Phillies. Santana is not completely a salary dump but he is still owed a lot of money and there is a big gap in value between JP Crawford and Segura.

You would think - but it's possible the M's see something in Crawford that others don't. Crawford has a lot of years of low cost team control remaining. I'd certainly be ok if it's from the Phils as long as we're not talking someone like Medina, Haseley, etc.

Dark One

Aug 14, 2009
For real though, how is AJ Puk looking? That was who I wanted that year.

Coming off Tommy John - cost him all of 2018 and obviously some development time. Given his polish, he has a solid chance of bouncing back relatively quickly for the A's this season and could make his debut at some point in 2019 - will likely be on an innings limit though.

Dark One

Aug 14, 2009
The weird thing is that Heyman confirmed what Nightengale had previously reported on Swarzak

Usually when at least two national reporters confirm you can take it to the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->