OT: Phillies: We Might Just Get A Little Stupid Spending: Offseason Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Sucks to lose Crawford, but they handled him about as bad as the Flyers handle everything young player. Huge that they were able to include Santana if reports are true. Get Rhys back to first asap.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I would’ve been fine with Santana at 3rd this year. Just hope they have some sort of plan if Machado falls through. Don’t think Franco is the answer there

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I would’ve been fine with Santana at 3rd this year. Just hope they have some sort of plan if Machado falls through. Don’t think Franco is the answer there

Santana’s played 45 games at 3rd in his career, 19 of which were last year because the Phillies were thin in depth. Putting him there over a full season would be distastrous. He’s pretty much limited to 1B.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
If Santana ends up in the deal that is great for the Phillies. They upgrade the lineup at SS with Segura, and upgrade two positions (SS and LF) defensively which was a huge problem last year.

Reactions: flyersphan20

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Im liking what I see from this potential trade so far.

Not a fan. They gave up on Crawford pretty quickly.

I guess it’ll be nice to have a player who can hit for good contact and actually field their position?

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Crawford’s always had the plate discipline, but just watching him a lot at AA and AAA, he really only stood out to me as a serviceable SS, who can get on base but won’t really hit for power or average. Idk I’ve never been crazy about him, and think there’s better options out there. Wish the kid the best of luck

Reactions: Jtown

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I don't hate JP. He got hit with some injuries at the worst time which didn't help matters. Bottom line is his bread and butter is going to be walks and fielding. I don't think we're losing much here.

Segura offers less defense (still not a liability at all) but much more (and consistent) offense, which this lineup needs. Consistent .280 avg, lately consistently .300. Gives you 20+ steals, could be a 15 homer 65 RBI guy in Philly. Dumping the Santana contract is going to go a long way this offseason, and Rhys can get back to first. Leaving an outfield spot open for some FA who can flat out rake, hopefully.

If the pitching holds up and Harper signs....watch out.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Unless Machado is good at 3rd, this trade seems to open up more of avenue to get Harper, right?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Surprised Segura was a target. He has a sub 5% walk rate for his career.

Klentak was assistant GM in Anaheim when Segura was traded to Milwaukee fwiw.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

Klentak was assistant GM in Anaheim when Segura was traded to Milwaukee fwiw.

He's like the opposite of what the Phillies have:

Plus BA hitter
Doesn't walk
Plus defense.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Nightengale said Phillies are still interested in Harper/Machado/Corbin.

Give me all and I'm planning the parade.

Dark One

Aug 14, 2009

It's definitely offset by a very low K-rate - his OBP for the past three seasons has been above .340. He's a very solid hitter and continues to steal 20 plus bases year in and year out. Put several run producing power hitters behind him and he can definitely help, not to mention fill a position of immediate need if the organization wants to open a window of immediate contention.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's definitely offset by a very low K-rate - his OBP for the past three seasons has been above .340. He's a very solid hitter and continues to steal 20 plus bases year in and year out. Put several run producing power hitters behind him and he can definitely help, not to mention fill a position of immediate need if the organization wants to open a window of immediate contention.
Yes it’s offset a bit by the K rate, but he doesn’t strike out because he doesn’t run deep counts. They go hand in hand. He’s obviously an above average hitter overall. I’m just a little surprised this is the guy they targeted considering all they talk about is grinding pitchers down and running deep counts. But if there is a position that can get away with it, it’s a SS.

Kind of an avergish fielder at the position by the metrics but that would be an upgrade over what we saw last year (assuming there is not a deeper rooted problem with player positioniong- which can’t be easily dismissed).

He also has a history of lower body injuries so his speed will be something to monitor going forward.

Sucks giving up on JP with so little experience. Could be selling him at a discount. Could also be selling high though. His usage this year when healthy was somewhat telling that the team had soured on him. Segura is a pretty valuable player though. We'll see what else is in the package.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
honestly, I don't know much about these players but I checked out Seguara's stats. He seems average. I'm don't view guys with OPS below .800 as anything special. He's had 2 recent seasons of .614 and .615 OPS, thats terrible.

I'd take him but I wouldn't give up great assets for him.

Again, I've been out of the loop on baseball outside of the phillies for a while so I could be missing something.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He had two terrible seasons but followed that up with 3 good to great seasons. Shortstops who are even league average offensively are very valuable. It’s the lightest hitting position in the league.

Going from Safeco to CBP will help him too. I wouldn’t expect him to hit .300 but should see some more power.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Unless Machado is good at 3rd, this trade seems to open up more of avenue to get Harper, right?
My understanding is that Machado is an excellent third baseman but he prefers SS, where he is not bad but also not good. I was under the impression he wouldn't sign somewhere to play third but apparently he changed his mind. Get both Machado and Harper. Apparently Segura has not agreed to waive NTC yet (at least as of last night, haven't seen anything yet today).

Who plays LF now if Rhys goes back to first?

With Harper I would guess this: LF-Williams, CF-Herrera, RF-Harper. Without Maybe LF-Quinn, CR-Herrera, RF-Williams

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
OPS has its uses, but it doesn't adjust for anything. wOBA is generally regarded as a more accurate way to measure the same thing OPS is trying to quantify. Ignoring the career year, Segura was at .327 and .334 the last 2 seasons in Seattle, which makes him an above average hitter.

If you look at wRC+, which adjusts for park and league, it's pretty reasonable to expect him to be around 110.

Then he's a Shortstop and a good one. Like I said a page or two back, he's not great. But he's definitely quite good. Hope he ages well.

*Edit* FWIW Fangraphs had him 49th in their Trade Value Top 50 in July. A decent bit of that is the contract. If you like him, it's a positive.

Last edited:

Dark One

Aug 14, 2009
if santana really is apart of this deal its a big win

Indeed he is. Joel Sherman just reported it's agreed upon, the only remaining unknown is which prospects are involved.

"#Mariners are in agreement pending physical review to send Jean Segura to the #Phillies for Carlos Santana and J.P. Crawford. There will be other prospects involved."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad