OT: Phillies: We Might Just Get A Little Stupid Spending: Offseason Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Fans care about the team's spending because they have finite resources and the allocation of them is important to winning

I absolutely hate when people make comments like "it's not your money who cares?"
The thing is though that they really don't have a limit other than the ones they set themselves. The Phillies can pay Machado and Harper their asking prices and still make a profit. They choose not to because they want to make more money. That's fair, it's their money and they can do what they want, but it is also fair from a fans perspective to be upset that the owners care more about the money than winning. If you want me to pay $300-$500 to take my family to a game I want you to be spending your money to get me a win. The ruse is convincing fans that these billionaires making big profits are strapped for cash so that they want to see "good" contracts. It makes the players look greedy and keeps fans on the owners' side when an issue comes up.

Reactions: phlflyer1

phlflyer1

Oct 16, 2007
South Jersey
The thing is though that they really don't have a limit other than the ones they set themselves. The Phillies can pay Machado and Harper their asking prices and still make a profit. They choose not to because they want to make more money. That's fair, it's their money and they can do what they want, but it is also fair from a fans perspective to be upset that the owners care more about the money than winning. If you want me to pay $300-$500 to take my family to a game I want you to be spending your money to get me a win. The ruse is convincing fans that these billionaires making big profits are strapped for cash so that they want to see "good" contracts. It makes the players look greedy and keeps fans on the owners' side when an issue comes up.

I understand your take and pretty much agree with it. As a fan, I certainly want the Phillies to spend what it takes to land one of Harper or Machado and I'm not going to be upset if Middleton has to spend "stupid" money to make it happen.

I just have a problem with entitled players such as Longoria taking fans for granted and telling them that its not their money that helps pay the contracts and that their opinions don't matter.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
How the **** is he the FIRST EVER unanimous?

The BBWAA takes itself way too seriously. You got some members who just don't vote for first year eligible player because that's what they feel like.

Hell Hank Aaron didn't get 100%. HANK AARON!!! lol

Griffey was the closest with 99.30. I mean, 3 voters didn't Vote for Griffey, I would LOVE to hear why the greatest CF of all time didn't get their vote.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
How the **** is he the FIRST EVER unanimous?

I’m guessing because a lot of older writers who believed nobody should receive one are less frequent now & new voters couldn’t care less about it. They had plenty chances to vote guys in that were truly wothy of it in the past but opted not to. I believe Griffey had the highest voting percentage coming into it but a few guys left him off out of principle to avoid 100%.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I still don't get the Edgar Martinez thing. He played well for a long time. None of his stats in any particular season or career seem hall worthy, and he played for almost two decades, mostly as a DH.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I still don't get the Edgar Martinez thing. He played well for a long time. None of his stats in any particular season or career seem hall worthy, and he played for almost two decades, mostly as a DH.

He was a downright excellent hitter from 1990 through 2003 with one or two blips. What more could you possibly want from his bat? He's got longevity AND peak.

Even with the WAR penalty for not playing the field, he was a top 10 position player in the AL 7 times. You're talking about a .400+ wOBA over EIGHTEEN SEASONS.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What do Philly fans think of Schilling snub?

IMO he should have been in years ago and the reality is with Halladay getting in its a further indictment on writers keeping him out

Do Philly fans still have fond memories of Schilling especially that 93 run?

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
What do Philly fans think of Schilling snub?

IMO he should have been in years ago and the reality is with Halladay getting in its a further indictment on writers keeping him out

Do Philly fans still have fond memories of Schilling especially that 93 run?
I pretty much remember Schilling being a fat ankle bleeding douchelord.

Also, I was born in 1994 sooo.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He was a downright excellent hitter from 1990 through 2003 with one or two blips. What more could you possibly want from his bat? He's got longevity AND peak.

Even with the WAR penalty for not playing the field, he was a top 10 position player in the AL 7 times. You're talking about a .400+ wOBA over EIGHTEEN SEASONS.
Yeah no doubt he was a good hitter. I'm not saying he wasn't. I just don't see the HOF numbers. Did a lot of things well but nothing great. Won two batting titles which is impressive but that doesn't get you into the HOF. And he walked a lot. He was consistent, but for me that doesn't get you into the HOF.

I'm only half serious about the Juan Pierre thing, but look at their numbers. Edgar had more HRs and a higher BA/OBP numbers. Juan Pierre had 600+ stolen bases, played well in the field, had almost the same hits in far fewer games. Struck out literally half as much (less actually!). He put the ball in play more. He got zero votes. Now, I honestly don't believe Juan Pierre is a HOFer, but if Edgar is in Pierre is at least in the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->