OT: Phillies: We Might Just Get A Little Stupid Spending: Offseason Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It's not nearly as easy as you might think to become a solid MLB player, even as a top 10 pick. I believe the last time I saw the numbers run, Picks 6-10 gave you a ~35% chance to get a 1.5+ WAR player. 11-15 dropped it to ~30%.

Reactions: wankstifier

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I am shocked he is even considering football. To me it is a no-brainer. Longer, safer career in baseball, and basically if you become an MLB regular you are essentially guaranteed to make more money than in football unless you are a superstar (which, he very well may be, but I would think it is safer bet that he will just be an average MLBer than a superstar QB). The only thing I suppose is that a QB, if successful, is going to be more famous/popular/marketable than a baseball player, especially playing in Oakland.

Minor leaguers in baseball don’t even make dirt. The travel schedule is also grueling on the body. Last season, Sixto Sanchez went on the DL after experiencing neck stiffness from a long bus ride. If a prospect is lucky enough to make a MLB roster, they have several years of cost control before they are able to seek a fair market deal. Now the problem is that older players aren’t getting lucrative offers in FA with the cap in in place. So, there really are a lot of factors that make baseball the wrong choice for someone wanting to make a lot of money.

If Murray gets drafted in the first round, he’s on a NFL team with a NFL contract. He projects to make significantly more money in the short term.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I would guess that the average Heisman winner makes more in his football career than the average top 10 pick in the MLB draft makes in baseball.

Reactions: Jtown

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Minor leaguers in baseball don’t even make dirt. The travel schedule is also grueling on the body. Last season, Sixto Sanchez went on the DL after experiencing neck stiffness from a long bus ride. If a prospect is lucky enough to make a MLB roster, they have several years of cost control before they are able to seek a fair market deal. Now the problem is that older players aren’t getting lucrative offers in FA with the cap in in place. So, there really are a lot of factors that make baseball the wrong choice for someone wanting to make a lot of money.

If Murray gets drafted in the first round, he’s on a NFL team with a NFL contract. He projects to make significantly more money in the short term.

baseball for me would be so unappealing to play if you had your choice of sports. Yes you ahve a great chance of making 100 million if you play 10 years in the league, but 162 games a year plus playoffs, plus spring training. Basically baseball goes from March to october. Brutal imo.

Reactions: wankstifier

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I actually think I do agree that football is the right move for him, in terms of financials, fame, upside, etc. Right now, they're projecting that he'll go in the 1st round, although that certainly could change.

If he goes as low as 32nd, the last pick in the 1st round, that's still a 5M signing bonus with a 10M contract, which is certainly larger than he has with the Athletics. If he goes say 15th, to the Redskins, that's about an 8M signing bonus with a 14M contract.

Additionally, there's far more room for endorsements as a 1st round QB in an NFL market, inherently increasing the value of his worth.

Lastly, that contract would be 4 years in the NFL, with a team option for a 5th year, somewhere around 10-12 million for that time frame. If he's good, guarantee that 5th year and then a massive contract in excess of $100M. If he's horrible, then he's probably done or maybe gets a smaller contract for another couple million in free agency. If he's average and shows that he can play, he's going to get a job and he'll make 5M per year to be a backup QB.

In baseball, he's going to be in the minors for probably 5 years because he has a lot of work to do as a player. He's got a lot of potential but he's extremely raw. Would he make it to the majors? I'd be absolutely shocked if he didn't. Over 80% of 1st round picks do. But it takes a long time to start truly making money in baseball and the odds are just as stacked against you as they are in the football. The difference is that he'd be starting football out on pedestal, has a larger first contract and a quick turnaround to get that second contract.

In reality, neither of these are bad choices but if he'd rather play football, than good for him. Quarterback is one of the least dangerous positions, given the precautions that they take for QBs and the limited head trauma that they receive, so the merits of the discussion of long term brain health don't apply as much as they would in a different position.

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
baseball for me would be so unappealing to play if you had your choice of sports. Yes you ahve a great chance of making 100 million if you play 10 years in the league, but 162 games a year plus playoffs, plus spring training. Basically baseball goes from March to october. Brutal imo.

October hell...If you end up in the WS, isn't it the first week of November at this point (which is asinine IMO)

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I think I'm officially checked out now. This posturing is garbage.
I agree. Even if the Phillies sign one of these guys I will barely be excited at this point. There's a reason MLB is losing so much popularity by the year and it's because in addition to their games/season dragging out way too long their offseasons do as well.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i think baseball could stand to chop off a dozen or more games off its schedule ..have the WS end in october..maybe not so many ST games..and start when ya know..there isn't a high chance of snow

XDevilBoiX

Jan 29, 2011
Phillies playing a dangerous game of cat and mouse and can possibly not get either of them. Using Harper as leverage to sign Machado, it’s stupid. Just put up your best offer to both, sign whoever accepts first.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I expected them to come up empty, a part of me still does, so getting one would be a victory.

Get one and then we can have optimism as we move forward with the rebuild.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's not nearly as easy as you might think to become a solid MLB player, even as a top 10 pick. I believe the last time I saw the numbers run, Picks 6-10 gave you a ~35% chance to get a 1.5+ WAR player. 11-15 dropped it to ~30%.

How is Jerrion Ealy as a baseball prospect? He’s a big time football recruit who seems to be likely going to Clemson for football but it seems like everything I read says there’s a legit chance he goes with baseball.

Jordyn Adams was another big football recruit last cycle that went baseball over football out of high school. He got drafted in the first round & signed with the Angels over playing WR at North Carolina.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
How is Jerrion Ealy as a baseball prospect? He’s a big time football recruit who seems to be likely going to Clemson for football but it seems like everything I read says there’s a legit chance he goes with baseball.

He's pretty damn high up there. BA has him 8th in their last mock (last week). I've seen a good bit of 70+ Speeds on him and the bat projects from what's being said. Callis specifically brought up plus bat speed and someone else mentioned he was ~90th percentile in their overall draft database in that area.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'm coming at it from a different perspective. I haven't watched the Phillies in years, my interest in baseball has (shockingly, to me) waned considerably as I've gotten older. Having a sabermetrically inclined manager and a bunch of kids piqued my interest a bit, and I actually watched some postseason games last year.

There's this odd thing where I've always liked Harper, and now that I'm living in Vegas, I feel like he's one of mine. Always liked Machado too. So I'll be excited if they get either one. Not Mike Trout levels of excitement, but pretty close.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'd be fine with Kimbrel. Build a super pen as best you can and make the games 6 innings long is a good way to win.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad