OT: Phillies: We Might Just Get A Little Stupid Spending: Offseason Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Passan said the Sox have upped the offer, Nightengale coming out saying it's still 7.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Both of these guys are 26 years old. I'm thinking you'll get a good 6-7 years and possibly a great 3-4 in those 6-7 years.

If the last 3 are shitty, that's what you deal with. It's likely that the Phillies will have a killer run for about 6 years though.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Wouldn't it be better to just get one of these two guys and then give the other dump truck full of money to Mike Trout when he becomes available?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Wouldn't it be better to just get one of these two guys and then give the other dump truck full of money to Mike Trout when he becomes available?

Can't assume he'll leave. He's already signed 1 extension in Anaheim, I don't see any reason why he won't do it again.

XDevilBoiX

Jan 29, 2011
Report of Chicago offering 8yrs $250mil for Machado. Nightengale saying Chicago offering only 7 years as reported 8 years by Passan.

Let the games begin!!

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Can't assume he'll leave. He's already signed 1 extension in Anaheim, I don't see any reason why he won't do it again.
I can think of about 400 million reasons why he wouldn’t sign an extension.

But yeah you can’t really make decisions now based on what might or might not happen with Trout.

Le Oranje

Sep 20, 2010
Both of these guys are 26 years old. I'm thinking you'll get a good 6-7 years and possibly a great 3-4 in those 6-7 years.

If the last 3 are ****ty, that's what you deal with. It's likely that the Phillies will have a killer run for about 6 years though.

The surplus value they accrue during the remainder of their peaks would make up for whatever they lose on the back end. Certainly in Manny’s case, especially if he swallows his pride and moves back to 3B full time.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
He hasn’t played a whole lot since high school right? So he’s more a project in baseball. I can’t really blame him if he goes with football where he’s further along & should be getting $20M or whatever off the bat anyway with a rookie contract.
Didn't the A's give him like a 5 million dollar bonus when he signed? I wonder how much declaring for the draft would impact that.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
This decision will be interesting. Murray could probably play for 10+ years for the MLB and make 100MM if he's half way decent.

He could make good money up front for the NFL and then get signing bonus/cut to death if he's not good, if he is good, sure he'll make some bank.

But at the end of the day when he's 50, what decision will effect him more?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This decision will be interesting. Murray could probably play for 10+ years for the MLB and make 100MM if he's half way decent.

He could make good money up front for the NFL and then get signing bonus/cut to death if he's not good, if he is good, sure he'll make some bank.

But at the end of the day when he's 50, what decision will effect him more?
I am shocked he is even considering football. To me it is a no-brainer. Longer, safer career in baseball, and basically if you become an MLB regular you are essentially guaranteed to make more money than in football unless you are a superstar (which, he very well may be, but I would think it is safer bet that he will just be an average MLBer than a superstar QB). The only thing I suppose is that a QB, if successful, is going to be more famous/popular/marketable than a baseball player, especially playing in Oakland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad