OT: Phillies: We Might Just Get A Little Stupid Spending: Offseason Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I don't think Ruth makes it because he had a couple years when he had syphilis or something.

Wagner is an obvious one I should have mentioned. As for pitchers, I think Johnson doesn't make it because his teams were so bad. Think Mathewson would have absolutely done it because the Giants were always in it and he was so spectacular and beloved by all observers of the game.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Gary Dell’Abate might be the greatest pitcher of all time. Guy could really bring the heat.

Gary%20Baba%20Booey%20Dell'Abate%20First%20Pitch.gif

Anything to get a Bababooey reference in there eh

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
What happened to my boy Greedy that he is falling?????

Weight/Strength concerns because his style is so physical. Also agility a bit. He's not going to be high on every team's board because he's not a scheme fit if you play your Corners off ball a ton.

I still think he goes pretty highly, but it's not insane for him to be in reach anymore.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Weight/Strength concerns because his style is so physical. Also agility a bit. He's not going to be high on every team's board because he's not a scheme fit if you play your Corners off ball a ton.

I still think he goes pretty highly, but it's not insane for him to be in reach anymore.
Oh man if he came here I would shit. There are like four guys I am psyched on in this draft and he's one. The others are Ed Oliver who is probably going to be top ten if not top five, Rashan Gary because he's a jersey boy, and Greg Little who I think could be available by the time they pick. The rest of this draft I feel like is pretty underwhelming or at least just not eye popping.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

XDevilBoiX

Jan 29, 2011
Bob Nightengale @BNightengale
There are several GMs who believe that even if the #Phillies sign Harper or Machado, they will be aggressive in the market for Keuchel and Kimbrel.

Jon Heyman @JonHeyman
Machado camp is telling some folks there’s a mystery team in addition to Chisox, Phils. Validity is unknown.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Bob Nightengale @BNightengale
There are several GMs who believe that even if the #Phillies sign Harper or Machado, they will be aggressive in the market for Keuchel and Kimbrel.

Jon Heyman @JonHeyman
Machado camp is telling some folks there’s a mystery team in addition to Chisox, Phils. Validity is unknown.
The Phillies are ALWAYS the mystery team.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
More Schmidt facts:

Schmidt’s career numbers are better than Utley’s over his 5 year peak. It was much harder to hit well in the 70s and 80s than the mid to late 2000s.

Dick Allen might be a comp if you’re into projecting Harper’s career arc relative to former Phillies. He was actually a borderline HoFer by the numbers. He probably should have been inducted for all the shit he put up with in Philly.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Rosenthal wrote a good article today about how he won’t believe the Yankees are out on Machado until he’s in another uniform. That’s pretty much how I feel. I think Machado wants to be a Yankee and is trying to use the Phillies, White Sox, and this mystery team to drive up the market.

As for Harper, I really don’t know. After the Dodgers cleared a ton of salary I thought he was a shoo in to go there. I think he ultimately ends up back in Washington, but we’ll see

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Rosenthal wrote a good article today about how he won’t believe the Yankees are out on Machado until he’s in another uniform. That’s pretty much how I feel. I think Machado wants to be a Yankee and is trying to use the Phillies, White Sox, and this mystery team to drive up the market.

As for Harper, I really don’t know. After the Dodgers cleared a ton of salary I thought he was a shoo in to go there. I think he ultimately ends up back in Washington, but we’ll see
Mood killer alert.

Reactions: SnS

XDevilBoiX

Jan 29, 2011
“There has been a lot of talk about Manny Machado preferring to sign with the New York Yankees and potentially taking less money to do so, but that would require the Bronx Bombers making him an honest offer. At this point, that hardly seems like a given.
Machado is said to be seeking somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 million, and there has been no indication that the Yankees are willing to go that high. It has been more than three weeks since Machado met with the Yanks in New York, and Jack Curry of the YES Network reports that there has been barely any communication between the two sides over that period.”

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Heading to arbitration with Nola

yeah i don't get this..nor like it..he isn't asking for the moon and the Phillies are coming up 2 million shy of what he asked for..if they want to spend stupid money..pay the guy..best pitcher we had..home grown since..what Cole?

Reactions: Cody Webster

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
This happens a lot. The only leverage Nola has is arbitration and everyone knows that is an ugly process for all involved. The team knows that. Just because they have money to blow, doesn't mean they are just going to overpay when they don't have to. I'm sure they will come to an agreement before the actual case is heard.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
yeah i don't get this..nor like it..he isn't asking for the moon and the Phillies are coming up 2 million shy of what he asked for..if they want to spend stupid money..pay the guy..best pitcher we had..home grown since..what Cole?
Part of the problem with MLB is there is no incentive to pay him. Even if they lose at arbitration it will still likely be less than in a normal deal. If he doesn't repeat last year they can sign him at a lower price next year (or go back to arbitration if he's still eligibile, not sure of his status). Not worried about this it will be fine and they can still come to a deal in the meantime if they want.

Reactions: trostol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad