OT: Phillies: We Might Just Get A Little Stupid Spending: Offseason Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Can yall help me out? I don’t follow the MLB too closely and my twitter feed is filled with manny and Harper rumors. Could someone try and relate what comparable players in the nhl those two would be in terms of eliteness level so I can get unnecessarily hyped. Thanks fellas

Well I guess Trout/Betts would be like McDavid.

However Harper is the biggest name in the MLB. Trout might be the best player, but Harper is more well known and more marketable.

Machado probably a little less, but arguably a Top 3 3rd basemen.

Hard to say, but picture it as 2 Top 5 players in the NHL available.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Well I guess Trout/Betts would be like McDavid.

However Harper is the biggest name in the MLB. Trout might be the best player, but Harper is more well known and more marketable.

Machado probably a little less, but arguably a Top 3 3rd basemen.

Hard to say, but picture it as 2 Top 5 players in the NHL available.
Closest thing in recent memory I remember is when Suter and Parise were both UFAs, but this is bigger than that. Think of it like Shea Weber at 27 as a UFA (Machado) and Auston Matthews as a UFA at 27 (Harper).

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Can yall help me out? I don’t follow the MLB too closely and my twitter feed is filled with manny and Harper rumors. Could someone try and relate what comparable players in the nhl those two would be in terms of eliteness level so I can get unnecessarily hyped. Thanks fellas

Super rough comps:

Machado is a Giroux/Draisaitl cross -- excellent player, some positional questionability, especially as he ages.

Harper is MacKinnonish with pre-draft hype more like Crosby -- one absolutely monster year and a bunch of very good ones with all-world talent where things were a touch off.

Reactions: Here4ThaList

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
don't know if this has been posted yet
Screen-Shot-2019-01-11-at-9-34-55-AM.png

93smsvT

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Howard Eskin on 94WIP said that the Tweet from Kevin saying Harper is signing on Saturday is nonsense -- Phillies have never met face to face with the guy before even and Boras has a track record of stretching players well into Spring.

We'll see. I know we'll get one of these two, so it's just a matter of time.

ItMe

Jan 4, 2017
Yanks have to be out on Machado at this point....far too many infielders on their roster

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Howard Eskin on 94WIP said that the Tweet from Kevin saying Harper is signing on Saturday is nonsense -- Phillies have never met face to face with the guy before even and Boras has a track record of stretching players well into Spring.

Boras met with the Phillies

Harper will be there on Saturday.

Harper knows everything about the Phils organization, this meeting is a formality.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Eskin is such a curmudgeon about every single team in this city except for the hand that feeds (the Eagles).

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Boras met with the Phillies

Harper will be there on Saturday.

Harper knows everything about the Phils organization, this meeting is a formality.
Tell you what, if they sign Harper I will be ordering a jersey the very next day. Not as high on Machado. 1000000% want him on this team but Harper is a perennial MVP guy and I don't think we ever really had that here. Utley probably should have won at least one and we had Howard and JRoll, but Harper is a guy that could be up there every year. Someone that will draw people to the park (and to buy jerseys). Machado will help the team win, Harper will put butts in the seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad