OT: Phillies: We Might Just Get A Little Stupid Spending: Offseason Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
olney tweetedd that most execs predict that Harper is going back to the Nationals and that Machado is going to the Phillies. That would be ideal.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
That’d be good. Machado seems to like MacPhail and the Yankees are probably not going to offer more money.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't be a big fan of the Bumgarner trade if it was Media/Romero for 1 year. Maybe if they got MM, Harper, Corbin, Ramos, Britton and were saying f*** it we are going for it. But Medina is not someone you trade for one year unless they know they can re-sign him, even then would hate to lose 2 of their top pitching prospects especially with Sixto's injury concerns.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
olney tweetedd that most execs predict that Harper is going back to the Nationals and that Machado is going to the Phillies. That would be ideal.

Wasn't Olney or Nightengale saying that Harper to the Phils was a practical lock a few weeks ago? If Harper isn't signed during the winter meetings, I'm guessing he heads back to Washington. The Phils need to sign either Machado or Harper (I prefer Machado), a starting pitcher and a couple of relievers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jtown

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Phillies need to start moving on something. Two teams in their division got better. If Washington gets Harper back, the Phillies could be back in 4th place if they don't do something.

Reactions: Jtown

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I’ve been going back and forth. Machado is a better fit but I think Harper is a better player.
I agree with this. Getting Machado also likely means that one of Franco or Crawford or Hernandez (or I suppose, less likely Kingery) gets traded. If they can nab Machado then trade one (or more) of those guys for something of value I'd be more than happy if that is our big move. I also want to see them re-sign Justin Bour. He's a perfect LH bat and fill in at first kind of guy. Assuming we ditch Santana and don't get Goldschmidt, move Hoskins back to first with Bour as the backup. If we have an injury in the outfield we can shuffle things around and Hoskins can fill in in LF and Bour can play first, or we can do that if someone needs a day off or if matchups present themselves. There really isn't a way to mess up this off season unless the Phillies do not make a big splash. Even if they miss out on Machado and Harper but they come away with a nice starter and some bullpen arms or maybe acquire Goldschmidt, I'd still call it a win. Obviously I would like it all to happen but that doesn't seem actually possible, despite my most earnest dreams and wishes.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The Phillies need to do something(s) today, same as yesterday, same as the day before. They know this. Did people expect the rest of the division to do nothing?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
SP is not a priority. Phillies have 6 SPs plus will have great depth at AAA and AA this season.

OF hitting and overall defense, improve the defense and the pitching will improve, that's to be expected if you can get the league's worst defense close to average.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Phillies need to start moving on something. Two teams in their division got better. If Washington gets Harper back, the Phillies could be back in 4th place if they don't do something.
Is this your first offseason?

Things don’t heat up until the Winter Meetings. Harper and Machado aren’t going to sign a month after the season ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: DancingPanther

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Make or break time for Klentak. If he doesn't land a big fish, he won't be here much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad