OT: Phillies: I'm Starting To Think Our Bank Accounts Are Frozen: Offseason Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So I'm hearing that Keuchel and Kimbrel are waiting to see if we sign Harper before they make a decision, as Harper would make us far more attractive a destination in order to chase a title.

Can you imagine if we get all 3? Because f*** it, why the hell not

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So I'm hearing that Keuchel and Kimbrel are waiting to see if we sign Harper before they make a decision, as Harper would make us far more attractive a destination in order to chase a title.

Can you imagine if we get all 3? Because **** it, why the hell not

I can't. They seem like they don't want to break the luxury tax and getting all 3 would definitely do that.

Keuchel would've been better if we got Machado honestly. Franco has zero range, Segura can cover his ass better than Kinger/Cabrera though

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think Machado is better, but if people prefer Harper, whatever. What I don't get is talking about fit for players getting 10 year contracts. When you're tossing around that kind of dough, you better get the best damn player. Not the best fit. It's baseball. This is essentially an individual sport.

Harper wasn't good defensively, but even if that season was an outlier, he's a corner outfielder. Not exactly changing the game defensively as a corner OFer.

comparing the two is silly , its like comparing the value of prime arod vs prime juan gonzalez. Both guady numbers, but gettting that type of production from your ss or 3b is invaluable.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I can't. They seem like they don't want to break the luxury tax and getting all 3 would definitely do that.

Keuchel would've been better if we got Machado honestly. Franco has zero range, Segura can cover his ass better than Kinger/Cabrera though
I mean screw it, if we're going all in, lets go all the way in. Luxury Tax will pay for itself if there's a parade down Broad St in November

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

What makes you say that? They are in on every big name free agent. Whether they actually do or not is a different story but I don't believe there has been any indication that there is some fear of the luxury tax.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
What makes you say that? They are in on every big name free agent. Whether they actually do or not is a different story but I don't believe there has been any indication that there is some fear of the luxury tax.

They had a serious limit on Machado, makes me think that they are have a line there.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
They had a serious limit on Machado, makes me think that they are have a line there.
I don't think that is because they are worried about the luxury so much as it was they didn't want that much money tied up between two guys for ten years a pop. Keuchel and Kimbrel are not geting $30 mil/yr for ten years. Combined I think they could around that but not for ten years. I am not saying I think they are going to get Harper and these two, but I do not think the luxury tax will be the reason they won't.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Bryce doesn't want to play in Philly, and the interview Klentak did for the NYT yesterday kind of indicated that they're losing interest in attracting him. I think the odds of him signing here are very slim at this point. I think he goes to the Giants.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
giphy.gif

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Bryce doesn't want to play in Philly, and the interview Klentak did for the NYT yesterday kind of indicated that they're losing interest in attracting him. I think the odds of him signing here are very slim at this point. I think he goes to the Giants.
Don't read into the rumors. The 'Bryce isn't thrilled about Philly" is just Boras using the media to try and pressure the Phillies into giving him more. Klentak saying they're losing interest is him trying to pressure Boras into accepting the offers they already have out there, knowing they're probably the best bet Harper has to get the biggest contract.

SF isn't in a spot where they can really go for Harper. Their window is closed, and getting Harper would only delay their entry into a full rebuild, and wouldn't let them get the high picks they need to be a contender 5 years from now. Washington is out, if they were in this deal would already be done by now, and with Soto in the mix, they don't really need/want Harper anymore. The fact that players are already publicly turning on Harper, so I doubt they really can bring him back now. The usual big spenders (NYY, Boston, LAD, Cubs) are staying away this year because they already have super high payrolls, and they're happy with the teams they have.

At this point, it pretty much leaves the same players in the mix for Harper as were in the mix for Machado. Philly had the opportunity to match/exceed the Machado contract and declined. The White Sox weren't financially prepared or able to go that high for Machado, who they valued higher. And SD might say they're in on Harper, but their window is 3 years out, not right now. Its really down to Philly, and.... well, Philly.

Reactions: phlflyer1

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yea. I can totally see the Padres spending 150MM a year when they *check notes* have spent over 100M once in 20 years.
And.... while everyone is fawning over that SD account for getting the Machado deal right.... He didn't, he said it was 10 years $285m, which isn't what was agreed upon. He threw crap at the wall, and it somewhat stuck. Its like any of the Phils fan accounts doing the 'BREAKING: Harper signs 10 years $304m' and then claiming they had sources when they happen to do it on the right day.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Can you imagine if we get all 3? Because **** it, why the hell not

No but I can imagine them getting none of them lol

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

If Klentak doesn't want to do his job, he should be fired.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
For the love of God, Boras and Klentak are on the PR trail. Can we stop believing everything? None of it means anything at all.

Boras needs more than one serious suitor and Klentak wants to get it done as cheaply as possible. They're going to say everything they can to get to where they want to be. Or make Heyman do it in the former's case.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Luxury tax line is 206 right? Baseball reference has the Phils payroll at 133, spotrac has it at 125. That's about 40M below the line assuming Harper signs for 30M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad