OT: Phillies: I'm Starting To Think Our Bank Accounts Are Frozen: Offseason Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Obviously a terrible quote, but he's got to say something today.

The more I think about the whole offseason, the more I wonder if those reports that the front office preferred Machado and ownership prefers Harper are true. It doesn't really matter what the valuation is if ownership will only sign off on $X.

Well, yeah, but I mean at least prepare what you're going to say and say something better than that.

Not exactly what this fan base wants to hear right now.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
has anyone ever gotten full value, from a player, that boras got one of these auction contracts for? buyer beware.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
psh everyone is up in air with the Klentak quote. How I'm reading it "If Boras wants to play games, I can play them too."
Yeah this is just posturing from the team.

Still expect Harper to be with the Phils on Opening Day. Ownership has made too many promises for them to fail this late. You don't joke that you're prepared to throw money around stupidly and then balk when the best FA wants to sign the most expensive contract.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
psh everyone is up in air with the Klentak quote. How I'm reading it "If Boras wants to play games, I can play them too."
i think the issue is coming from the sense that you shouldn't play games in contract negotiations with a guy who's allegedly on the fence about coming to your team in the first place.

Reactions: Adam Warlock

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
If they are serious...they find out why he is unsure and change it...and maybe open the wallet a bit more...think they gotta get him so they dont come off looking bad

litflyersfan

Jan 1, 2008

It's going to get ugly in 2022. Very ugly.

Don’t get why the owners have to spend money. There is no obligation on their part to do so, as there is no payroll floor in baseball. Thinking the league might finally get a salary cap with a cap/payroll floor as a compromise. There really already is a salary cap in baseball with the luxury tax thresholds any way. The players will of course balk again at the idea of a salary cap (has been a common ask by the owners every time the deals are) but the MLBPA shouldn’t moan about spending if again the owners don’t have to reason to spend and can just pocket the money. Chris Sale put it best in regards to Kimbrel not being signed, too many teams are just “collecting checks” instead of being competitive and fielding the best team possible. The question would be if it’s a hard cap like the NHL, a soft cap like the NBA, or a team specific cap like the NFL. The NFL had a payroll floor for a while, where the teams had to spend 89% of their respective cumulative cap ceilings during a 5 year period (2011-2015). Could see something like this applied to the MLB as a trial run.

Last edited:

Branko

Jul 5, 2011
i think the issue is coming from the sense that you shouldn't play games in contract negotiations with a guy who's allegedly on the fence about coming to your team in the first place.

Totally agree but at some point you need to hold your ground. Boras is milking this thing for every dollar. Klentak can't just say SURE HERES $50 MILLION MORE or he will just keep pushing.

And honestly, I would be more concerned if Harper didn't have reservations about coming here. It's clearly not all about the money to him. He'd be moving from a division rival and essentially make himself public enemy number 1 in DC. I'm sure he's also heard all the stereotypes about Philly fans. He knows that with that contract, he's essentially the face of the franchise. If anything goes wrong, he's the first guy that's gonna get called out.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think Harper is going to ask for an opt-out clause, similar to the one Machado got, since there are rumors of an MLB team coming to Vegas.

He can have one for all I care. Give him one after 5 years.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
has anyone ever gotten full value, from a player, that boras got one of these auction contracts for? buyer beware.

Going strictly by on-field performance, A-Rod certainly outperformed his original contract and probably his second one (which Boras wasn't around for and he didn't complete. There was a lot of off-the-field stuff, PED suspension, and low-key douchebaggery, but he won 3 MVPs and hit 500 homers after leaving Seattle.

Max Scherzer's won 2 Cy Young Awards and finished 5th and 2nd in his four seasons with Washington. They've gotten their money's worth.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I wonder if they think Harper is worth the 326 over 10 years. If you do then stop playing around and make the offer. Get him into camp to join the team and ready for some spring ball.

We will be set to take a run at Trout in two years then when he is a UFA

XDevilBoiX

Jan 29, 2011
As he anticipates the next big free-agent domino to fall in Philly, Bowden said Harper's contract will best Machado's and end up as the biggest in baseball history -- even greater than the Miami Marlins' deal of 2014.
"When Harper's deal is all said and done," he said, "it will be north of Manny Machado's 10-year, $300 million deal. It will be north of Giancarlo Stanton's $325 million deal."

I hope this is true

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Going strictly by on-field performance, A-Rod certainly outperformed his original contract and probably his second one (which Boras wasn't around for and he didn't complete. There was a lot of off-the-field stuff, PED suspension, and low-key *****ebaggery, but he won 3 MVPs and hit 500 homers after leaving Seattle.

Max Scherzer's won 2 Cy Young Awards and finished 5th and 2nd in his four seasons with Washington. They've gotten their money's worth.
1 and a half. out of how many. this may only be my opinion, but i view boras as a shady snake oil salesman. i agree agents should do the best for their clients,but their are limits as to how you get that done. if whoever signs harper wins a championship because of that, then it's worth it, otherwise not worth the money, or the time chasing him and playing boras' games.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The owners/front offices convincing fans that Scott Boras is/was some villain as if they don’t have the same motivations but on the other side of the fence was a great con.

Now a days Boras is pretty much just a boogeyman. The owner’s pretty much reduced the guy’s effectiveness by getting rid of incompetent front offices who’d just give the guy what he’s looking for.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
My nightmare scenario is the Phillies draw a line in the sand at like 310 when Borus wants 330...they burn the bridge and a few weeks later Bryce signs for 300 with another team or takes the short term deal with SF.

I cant see any other team offering 330...the Phils shouldnt hesitate. If they do it could cost them.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Those were two off the top of my head. I looked it up and Boras also represented Greg Maddux and Barry Bonds, who are probably the two greatest free agent signings in history.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Those were two off the top of my head. I looked it up and Boras also represented Greg Maddux and Barry Bonds, who are probably the two greatest free agent signings in history.
those guys were great players, some with peds,how many championships did they win.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Roy Halladay didn't win any championships, so I guess that was a bad trade.
don't know,i was talking about freeagent signing and boras trying to squeeze everyone out of every last penny. did roy demand the largest contract in history. take peds.or dick the team around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad