Phillies fire Gabe Kapler

Sep 19, 2008
They had massive expectations and failed miserably.

Imagine spending billions in the off-season and not even sniffing the playoffs.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Showalter was listed last week as a big favorite if Kapler was fired

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Could see Show or Girardi being fits with Philly.

Girardi I believe wants NYM or CHC but if Cubs ultimately go with Ross and Mets don’t really want to pay 4-5 mill a year for a manager I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up there

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Girardi I believe wants NYM or CHC but if Cubs ultimately go with Ross and Mets don’t really want to pay 4-5 mill a year for a manager I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up there

Makes sense. Pretty confident Joe could get more out of all three of those teams.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure what exactly made him qualified to begin with. I remember opening day last year when he didn't know how to use to bullpen phone or something. I get they were trying to hit a grand slam by trying to pick out some kind of genius that was totally off the radar, but he was in way over his head and should not have lasted past even one season. Pitching coach was already axed (was a likewise terrible hire), otherwise the Phillies intend to keep all of their other coaches - who had very little big league experience at any rate, which was a big criticism, so they must feel pleased with how they performed. It wasn't all-bad for the Phillies, their pitching was a disaster, made no attempts to improve it last summer, and the guy they let go went to the Braves and had the season that they had.

They are in the same position the Flyers were last year where the Phillies obviously have to make a move that lets their fanbase know that they're getting serious, and bring in someone who has experience and isn't going to let guys roll over. Andy McPhail made comments that they didn't really want to put any chips to the middle to get into the wild card just to get worked over by the Dodgers. Welp, about that...

Showalter is probably the guy going back to McPhail's time with the Orioles.

Last edited:

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Dont cry for Gabe, Zaidi supposedly going to interview him for the Giants manager job.

Sep 19, 2008

If Kapler had a loaded roster in Philly and couldn't do anything with it, what makes you think he'd do anything in Chicago?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad