Philippe Paradis

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I'm really curious about this kid, but I can't seem to catch a few Q games to actually sit down and watch him.

His stat lines all say good things. 1st on team in goals and +/- (the latter by margin of about 7).

But I've heard many people call him long-term, even a bust. Can you guys give me any more information on him?

sharpie

Dec 8, 2008
Good skater, physcial, chirps a ton. Seems to be responsible in the D zone. The 5-6 times I have watched him he looked ok. He dosen't really have any upside that will get you intrigued. More of a 3-4 line grinder that chirps and won't really drop em. I would say jury is still out right now but I don't see him turning out to be much. Of the 5-6 times I have seen him there were 3-4 games where he was invisible.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Paradis is basically an over-ager (he was only 2 days shy of being eligible for AHL play this year), so solid production numbers should be expected. If anything, his numbers are a little disappointing. He has no future in a top 6 role, but he has shown big improvements in his play on the defensive end of the ice while at the same time has been cutting down on bad penalties. This at least gives some hope that he can be a solid third line center one day, but I would predict that he'll more likely end up in a fourth line role.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Paradis is basically an over-ager (he was only 2 days shy of being eligible for AHL play this year), so solid production numbers should be expected. If anything, his numbers are a little disappointing. He has no future in a top 6 role, but he has shown big improvements in his play on the defensive end of the ice while at the same time has been cutting down on bad penalties. This at least gives some hope that he can be a solid third line center one day, but I would predict that he'll more likely end up in a fourth line role.

He's not basically an overager at all. He's 24 days older than Louis Leblanc but if someone said "Leblanc is basically an overager", they'd get laughed at.

I do agree with you though, he doesn't appear to have top 6 potential. He might be able to carve out a Pascal Dupuis-esque career if all goes well.

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL
He's not basically an overager at all. He's 24 days older than Louis Leblanc but if someone said "Leblanc is basically an overager", they'd get laughed at.

I do agree with you though, he doesn't appear to have top 6 potential. He might be able to carve out a Pascal Dupuis-esque career if all goes well.

Being 2 days away from being an overager would definitely fall under "Basically an overager"...

Analyzer*

When he was drafted he was compared to a player who hadn't made the NHL yet. Should tell you about his possible potential.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Being 2 days away from being an overager would definitely fall under "Basically an overager"...

I'm pretty sure he's not 2 days away from being an overager. It's the player's age at the beginning of the season that counts, as far as I understand it. So hypothetically, let's say he was born on December 31, 1990. Their first game was on September 10, 2010. He'd still be 19, ergo it'd be his 19 year old season.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Good size, somewhat physical, fairly responsible in his own end, absolute cannon of a shot (one of, if not the hardest in the CHL). Likely a middle six guy if he makes the NHL.

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL
I'm pretty sure he's not 2 days away from being an overager. It's the player's age at the beginning of the season that counts, as far as I understand it. So hypothetically, let's say he was born on December 31, 1990. Their first game was on September 10, 2010. He'd still be 19, ergo it'd be his 19 year old season.

Only information I could find:
http://prospectsannex.blogspot.com/2010/04/nhlchl-agreement-why-juniors-have-to-be.html
Specifically, the rule says that if a player played in junior before they were drafted by the NHL, then they have to either be 20 years old by Dec. 31 OR have played four years of junior in order to play in the minors . That second condition rarely comes into effect. It would only apply to players who began in the CHL at age 15.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL
That link has to do with AHL eligibility. I'm confused as to how it's relevant to whether or not a player is an overager. It seems like there's a distinct lack of information available about the specifics of the rule so I'm only going by the way I understand the rule. I could be wrong.

In case you're still interested, it seems to change from site to site and I can't find a definite answer. It does say the overage limit is on "20 year old players" and seems to refer to their age at the beginning of the season mostly. So I think you may be right.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
I really like Paradis. People just look at his stats and that he has been already traded two times as a NHL prospect, but don't just look at that. A game that I've seen of him is a PEI Rocket and Montreal Juniors game. He was really solid. He was the best player on the ice with Trevor Parkes and Louis Leblanc. He is physical, good defensively, good ofensively, a very good shot, good on the board, etc. Like others people said, he may not have top 6 potential, but he could be a solid bottom 6 guy.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
In case you're still interested, it seems to change from site to site and I can't find a definite answer. It does say the overage limit is on "20 year old players" and seems to refer to their age at the beginning of the season mostly. So I think you may be right.

Cool.

Not to drift off topic but I think a lot of us get too hung up on terms like overager or whether a guy's a late birthday or an early birthday. In the grand scheme of things, a couple of months aren't going to play any major role in a prospect's NHL potential.

Madic

May 21, 2008
Very easy to get hung up on the "how was he a first round pick?" talk, but at least you'll probably get a solid bottom 6 guy in him. Didn't look out of place on the Marlies last year. Good straight ahead speed, doesn't shy away from any hard work. Not sure how bright he is in his own zone (don't remember), but there's a future there if he stays aggressive when he goes pro again.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
That link has to do with AHL eligibility. I'm confused as to how it's relevant to whether or not a player is an overager. It seems like there's a distinct lack of information available about the specifics of the rule so I'm only going by the way I understand the rule. I could be wrong.

QMJHL Regulations - http://en.lhjmq.qc.ca/uploads/assets/QMJHL_EN_SITE/Politiques/EngRegulations20102011.pdf
Section 3.02
Each team of the League can register and play with three 20 year-old players or players who will have turned 20 by December 31st of the current year, as long as their names were registered on the eligibility list of the team on February 10th of the previous season, except for one of those player whose name could not have been inscribed on that admissibility list.

It is calendar year. Not beginning of the season. If Paradis was born in December, he would be an over-ager this season.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
i just saw a PEI rockets game, imo Nestrasil > Paradis ... but they're both well above your average junior player. They are both talented enough to have long pro careers, but not sure what league yet.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Paradis is the only hope the Hawks have of getting something out of the Versteeg giveaway.

Stalberg is awful and Didomenico is never going to be an NHL player

Hopefully Paradis suprises me and does something but I dont believe in the QMJHL ability to develop players so we shall see

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Thanks for clearing it up but that's an incredibly stupid and illogical way to implement the rule.

Almost all levels of youth hockey in Canada, from Timbit right up to major junior use the calendar year as their 'year' to administer eligibility. It might be "incredibly stupid and illogical" in your mind, but it's not just the CHL's decision. It is how hockey is run in Canada.

In fact, Malcolm Gladwell wrote about it in his book Outliers (where he explained the long-term effect on this practice when it came to both CHL competition and NHL future of players.
Changing the December 31st date has been discussed by Hockey Canada, but no solution has been found: http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php?ci_id=11746&la_id=1

Oh..the Ninja Edit...well done...

Last edited:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
i just saw a PEI rockets game, imo Nestrasil > Paradis ... but they're both well above your average junior player. They are both talented enough to have long pro careers, but not sure what league yet.

I saw PEI play as well. Paradis never sticks out when I see him play, but Nesteasil is very flashy. Doesn't mean one will have a longer career over the other, but Nestrasil definitely impressed me.

As for Paradis, he has a good frame and decent hockey sense. I could see him as a utility player in the NHL.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I was really impressed with Paradis at the Subway Series. To me, he looks like a fairly safe bet to make it as a bottom six player. He's big, fast, mean, protects the puck and throws big hits. At the very least, he's a fourth-line energy player but he has some upside beyond that.

LAX attack*

Almost all levels of youth hockey in Canada, from Timbit right up to major junior use the calendar year as their 'year' to administer eligibility. It might be "incredibly stupid and illogical" in your mind, but it's not just the CHL's decision. It is how hockey is run in Canada.

In fact, Malcolm Gladwell wrote about it in his book Outliers (where he explained the long-term effect on this practice when it came to both CHL competition and NHL future of players.
Changing the December 31st date has been discussed by Hockey Canada, but no solution has been found: http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php?ci_id=11746&la_id=1

Oh..the Ninja Edit...well done...

OT, but I am highly intruigied by a book written by Malcom Gladwell that has information about the CHL. I am making a mess in my boxers just thinking about it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad