Philippe Paradis/Tyler Biggs -- Why?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Not surprising behaviour from Burke given how the Kadri draft went:
Are you trying to say Burke was being rude because he knew TSN put a microphone on him? It's like Pierre McGuire said Burke told Murray they are going to take Kadri and even though Ottawa wanted him Murray said okay and didn't try to change his mind with some last minute trade offer.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
The rumour regarding Paradis is that he was originally being targeted to be or second round pick. As the story goes, right before our first a lot of guys on our list were drafted and they were left on the clock not knowing what to do so they took the next available guy on their list.

Whether that’s true or not I obviously can’t tell you but it’s long been speculated to be the case.

Just a brutal player. Went through a few organizations and never had more than 16 points in an ahl season. Luckily we were able to turn him into a few good years of Tlusty. Paradis retired and then came back playing a year in the LNAH goon league. This year he’s playing in a league I’ve honestly never heard of before, the Alps hockey league.

I read one time that before #23 was called (Canes picked at 27), the head scout wrote down their top 4 remaining targets for the 1st round. Those players were Tim Erixon, Marcus Johansson, Jordan Caron, and Kyle Palmieri. These players were literally the next 4 players drafted. The Canes' front office had no one good to pick next so they went with their 2nd round target. I don't know if that's true though. At least we picked up Brian Dumoulin for our 2nd rounder.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Tyler Biggs' big mistake was leaving the NCAA to go to the OHL because he was unhappy with his minutes as a freshman. He could've continued developing there from ages 18-21/22 like most college players instead of being underdeveloped and forced to go pro in the AHL at age 20 and continued to get no minutes there. Either way, he took poor advice from his agent or made a poor choice on his own. Could've likely been a bottom 6'er if he had stayed in college.

Dude didn't even play single NHL game and a bust in ECHL too. I probably saw a few games with on the Solar Bears too... forgettable player.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The rumour regarding Paradis is that he was originally being targeted to be or second round pick. As the story goes, right before our first a lot of guys on our list were drafted and they were left on the clock not knowing what to do so they took the next available guy on their list.

Whether that’s true or not I obviously can’t tell you but it’s long been speculated to be the case.

Just a brutal player. Went through a few organizations and never had more than 16 points in an ahl season. Luckily we were able to turn him into a few good years of Tlusty. Paradis retired and then came back playing a year in the LNAH goon league. This year he’s playing in a league I’ve honestly never heard of before, the Alps hockey league.

I think we watched that draft together and when Francis selected Paradis we were both like 'WTF is that???'

Reactions: DaveG

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Burke was an idiot who undervalued skill and skating...except for when he had Morgan Rielly rated as #1 in his draft. On that momoment, and only for a moment he ignored all the biases he’s had his entire life right?

Ok. Got it.

Probably had Griffin Reinhart #1 and the islanders did the leafs and Burke the biggest favor lol.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Probably had Griffin Reinhart #1 and the islanders did the leafs and Burke the biggest favor lol.
I remember watching a Leafs behind the draft show of the 2012 draft and Burke mentions how Garth Snow wanted to know if he wanted to trade up with them from the 5th pick to the 4th pick. Obviously we know that never happened and Burke said it didn't make sense giving up assets to move up by 1 position.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I remember watching a Leafs behind the draft show of the 2012 draft and Burke mentions how Garth Snow wanted to know if he wanted to trade up with them from the 5th pick to the 4th pick. Obviously we know that never happened and Burke said it didn't make sense giving up assets to move up by 1 position.

I never understood that at all. Teams trading one spot. Maybe it’s almost like a threat “ I might take the guy you want”.

Snow really wanted Ryan Murray who the islanders had #1. Once he didn’t get him I guess his plan B was reinhart. Many isles fans wanted Forsberg.

For the life of me I can’t understand how he didn’t take Reilly if he was taking a defenseman. I know he has the knee injury but he was special and proved to be one of the best players in the draft.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I never understood that at all. Teams trading one spot. Maybe it’s almost like a threat “ I might take the guy you want”.

Snow really wanted Ryan Murray who the islanders had #1. Once he didn’t get him I guess his plan B was reinhart. Many isles fans wanted Forsberg.

For the life of me I can’t understand how he didn’t take Reilly if he was taking a defenseman. I know he has the knee injury but he was special and proved to be one of the best players in the draft.
I even remember reading a story how Snow was offering all of the Islanders draft picks in 2012 to the Blue Jackets for the 2nd overall pick so they could select Murray.

Maybe Snow thought he could still get Reinhart at 5th overall with some extra picks from the Leafs. Kind of like in 2008 when he traded down from 5th overall to 7th overall so Toronto could select Luke Schenn, than he traded down from the 7th pick to the 9th pick with Nashville and eventually selected Josh Bailey who Snow said was the #1 choice on their board.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I even remember reading a story how Snow was offering all of the Islanders draft picks in 2012 to the Blue Jackets for the 2nd overall pick so they could select Murray.

Maybe Snow thought he could still get Reinhart at 5th overall with some extra picks from the Leafs. Kind of like in 2008 when he traded down from 5th overall to 7th overall so Toronto could select Luke Schenn, than he traded down from the 7th pick to the 9th pick with Nashville and eventually selected Josh Bailey who Snow said was the #1 choice on their board.

That’s true about all the picks for Murray. And yes, good chance Snow knew Leafs wouldn’t take Reinhart so he tried to squeeze an asset out of Burke.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That’s true about all the picks for Murray. And yes, good chance Snow knew Leafs wouldn’t take Reinhart so he tried to squeeze an asset out of Burke.
I do wonder if Burke would have taken Rielly 1st overall had Toronto won the draft lottery in 2012 or would he have traded down getting a good return and still selecting Rielly. It's a well known fact Burke had him rated 1st overall instead of Murray and Yakupov and no one else had Rielly going ahead of either of them.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

It's an inexact science. Tons of first round picks never pan out, especially late first rounders. So in theory, there are tons of first round picks that are wasted every year. These 2 players are just examples of 2 players who never worked out. It's not that big of a deal.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's an inexact science. Tons of first round picks never pan out, especially late first rounders. So in theory, there are tons of first round picks that are wasted every year. These 2 players are just examples of 2 players who never worked out. It's not that big of a deal.
Rielly worked out for Toronto going 5th overall and Reinhart was the disappointment being selected 4th overall.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Dude didn't even play single NHL game and a bust in ECHL too. I probably saw a few games with on the Solar Bears too... forgettable player.

I believe him, paradis, bleackley and zack phillips are the only 1st rounders from 09-14 who haven't played a single nhl game.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I do wonder if Burke would have taken Rielly 1st overall had Toronto won the draft lottery in 2012 or would he have traded down getting a good return and still selecting Rielly. It's a well known fact Burke had him rated 1st overall instead of Murray and Yakupov and no one else had Rielly going ahead of either of them.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and we know today that Reilly would have been worthy of the #1 spot. But back then it’s hard to tell if he really felt that way. If he did feel Reilly was the #1 player I wouldn’t be surprised though.

I remember there were people doubting Yakopuv and saint he was all tools and no toolbox. Personally, I thought he was going to be an elite goal scoring winger. Goes to show you just never really know

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and we know today that Reilly would have been worthy of the #1 spot. But back then it’s hard to tell if he really felt that way. If he did feel Reilly was the #1 player I wouldn’t be surprised though.

I remember there were people doubting Yakopuv and saint he was all tools and no toolbox. Personally, I thought he was going to be an elite goal scoring winger. Goes to show you just never really know
During that same Leafs "Behind The Draft 2012" special Burke told Bettman on the stage they had Rielly rated at 1st overall. So take from that whatever you want.

Reactions: SI90

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Brian Burke actually traded up to get Biggs, those picks became Gibson and Rakell lol. He also traded Jiri Tlusty for Paradis. Burke was a huge proponent of big, tough and useless players.

Burke is a great example of someone who fails to see the trends and the future and is set in his ways.

The leafs hired him 15 years too late

He is the Blockbuster and today’s coaches are the Netflix and streaming services

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad